Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:31 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink]
Does anybody know of a not-too-expensive accommodation near Booth campus?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
My suggestion is to try Priceline and use the Name Your Own Price option. I think they you can bid specifically for Hyde Park. It's usually a good deal when you book last minute.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Just came back from my Chicago interview. I'm very happy with how it went. I hope this debrief helps people.

My interviewer was an Alumnus. The guy holds an important position of an American bank in Hong Kong. The interview was in a meeting room at his office.

He arrived 20 min late to our appointment (I waited him in the meeting room). When he finally arrived he apologized for keeping me waiting and quickly started talking. We exchanged business cards and he presented himself briefly. He told me that he had been working and living in several continents (as I did) and explained about his different positions he has held. He was clearly a successful finance guy.

Then he told me to present myself and to walk through my resume. I started speaking about my education, work experience, the positions I held and projects I led, etc. I had prepared a lot the "walk your resume" questions so I did well, trying not to bore him but also trying to not forget anything important.

About my resume he only asked about my last job a couple of very specific questions, as his domain is related to mine somehow. He seemed like "testing" I really work where I say in my resume.

Then he jumped to typical question such as why I want to do an MBA and why now. Then why Booth is my best fit and so on, and why I plan to learn in case I'm accepted. I answered with totally sincerity and we started a great conversation about the school, about my career and many things about Chicago. He was very helpful and gave me advices.

He asked me what I like from Hong Kong (I'm from Europe), or why I don't prefer to continue working where I work now instead of spending two years studying. He also asked me about my personal life and if my wife supports me in my decision to do an MBA and things like that. This triggered 10 minutes speaking about my wife as she is also interviewing in Chicago.

Then I started asking him questions. He told me how Chicago helped him in his career, what concentrations he chose, what he liked from the school, where he lived, etc. We also spoke about other schools. I told him I was interviewing in others, and he asked why I preferred Chicago.

At the end we spoke around 20 minutes about my career progression, about the school, campus, the best places to live during the MBA, about diversity, and so on.

I have to say that the conversation was formal but I enjoyed it a lot. It was very interesting speaking with him and I think he also enjoyed it. At the end he told me to keep in touch, wished me luck and told me he was very satisfied and that I fitted to Chicago. Hopefully he'll write a good report....

For you guys that still have not interviewed, I think the interviews of this kind you should do your best to sell yourself, the interviewer is not going to ask you the questions you want (I would have loved to tell him more about some stories but he didn’t ask anything that could have led me to speak about them), so try to use each of the questions to convey the ideas you want he remember about you. Once the interview is finished, ask yourself: Did I speak about leadership? Did I say I'm X, Y or Z? Did I speak about my stories A, B or C? Did I say an MBA from X School is the best option for me?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Got this email from Booth...

Join the Chicago Booth Admissions staff for a live chat today at 11:00 am CST. We'll chat about the 2011 application and the Booth admissions process.

Current students will also be available to answer your questions about life at Booth. Read their bios: https://www.chicagobooth.edu/boothconnect/fulltime/Nov11StudentBios.aspx

Click here to join this chat: https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/chat/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Fresh info from the chat:

XXXXX asks: Hello. I was wondering what percentage of the Round 1 applicants
invited to interview will be offered a spot in the class of 2013.

Donna: We do not know the percentage for this year. In the past it has been between
20% to 40%. This includes those who are waitlisted and ultimately granted admission.

---

Another one:

YYYYY asks: They say R1 and R2 are given same weightage. Is it true? or applicants of
R1 possess better chances than others?

Donna: Honestly chances of admission are not greater in either round. We interview
approximately 50% of the applicants and admit 20 to 40% of those interviewed.

---
My note: now we can conclude that the secret admittance rate of Booth is 10% ~ 20% (as expected).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Kudos
Hmmmmm.... I imagine that the acceptance rate for interviewed applicates hovers in the 40-50% range. I'm assuming that the 50% interviewed number is correct and the last two classes really did have an admission rate of 24.8% and 22%.

Maybe I'm just being hopeful....

madmax wrote:
Fresh info from the chat:

XXXXX asks: Hello. I was wondering what percentage of the Round 1 applicants
invited to interview will be offered a spot in the class of 2013.

Donna: We do not know the percentage for this year. In the past it has been between
20% to 40%. This includes those who are waitlisted and ultimately granted admission.

---

Another one:

YYYYY asks: They say R1 and R2 are given same weightage. Is it true? or applicants of
R1 possess better chances than others?

Donna: Honestly chances of admission are not greater in either round. We interview
approximately 50% of the applicants and admit 20 to 40% of those interviewed.

---
My note: now we can conclude that the secret admittance rate of Booth is 10% ~ 20% (as expected).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Columbia Business School '13
 Q28  V36 GMAT 2: 650  Q40  V39 GMAT 3: 720  Q44  V45
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Send PM
Kudos
Am I late with the news that Business Week just released their newest edition of bi-annual b-school rankings? Booth is at the top again. Check it out...

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... hools+2010
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Mortgage
Send PM
Rhyme - do you have any insights on the percentages listed above? I was also under the impression it was more in the 40-50% range for people with interview invites, but the adcoms seem to be stressing otherwise.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
wmcrockett wrote:
Rhyme - do you have any insights on the percentages listed above? I was also under the impression it was more in the 40-50% range for people with interview invites, but the adcoms seem to be stressing otherwise.

Under promise, over deliver? ;) Ha ha...I either need to start yoga or boxing after my interview to calm my nerves until December 15th.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi

Has anyone interviewed in Bangalore, India recently ? I have an interview scheduled sometime next week and it will be great if someone can share their experience.

BabaPi
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
I really doubt that the admit rate after interview is 50%, especially since they interview 50% of the applicants. Most (good) schools have an acceptance rate of about 15%, not 25%. That would put the post-interview admit rate at about 30%, right in the middle of the range the Adcom specified in the chat session.

Originally posted by cwhs on 12 Nov 2010, 06:47.
Last edited by cwhs on 12 Nov 2010, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
My interview will be a week from tomorrow!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
I have an interview scheduled in Delhi next week. Anyone who can share the experience? PM me plz if u some1 is interviewing in delhi too...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
Kudos
Retracting my previous comments... I just saw this on the front page of Yahoo.

1. University of Chicago
Booth School of Business
Selectivity: 22 percent

If they're admitting 22 percent of all who apply, and interview 50% of the applicants, that roughly means 40% of the interviewees are admitted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Finance; Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT Sloan Class of 2013
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Booth believes in a discipline-based approach, saying that managing a business requires understanding all of it's disciplines, such as marketing, economics, statistics, etc. Doesn't that go against the flexibility? I would expect this from a school with a core curriculum. There are some requirements at the beginning but I still don't understand how these two concepts fit together. Any ideas?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Private Equity
WE 2: Management Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview yesterday. I met an alumni and the interview took place at a meeting room within his office at a large European bank.

It was really relaxed overall, he had a standard set of questions he asked about, most notably:
- Why MBA now
- Why Booth
- 3 most important things in your life
- If I could change one thing, what would it be

I walked through my resume briefly and he had a few questions there as well. I then had quite a few questions on Booth as well which he answered and the interview then turned into a general chat about Chicago and the program.

Overall the interview was much more relaxed than I anticipated. I had expected more direct and specific questions regarding leadership and experiences, but the questions asked were basically the top 4 you read about in all the accepted.com/wikiadmit forums.

An overall good experience and I'm still very excited about Booth. Nothing more I can do now to increase my chances of admission so now it's just a matter of kicking back, staying positive and checking the mailbox daily!

Best of luck to all other applicants.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Gerrard, thanks for sharing your interview questions.

Gerrard wrote:
and checking the mailbox daily!

Fyi, until December 15th they won't will tell you anything about the decision

On December 15th, the Final Decision date, we will release all final decisions at 9:00 am. You may view your status via the Online Application System.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38  ...  185   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts