Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 06:06 It is currently 19 May 2024, 06:06
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Send PM
Re: Quest for a killer GMAT score ;-) [#permalink]
and thanks for the xls file, kudo!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3473 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
stanford2012 wrote:
I took the 1st test of GMAT Prep V1 today and scored 770 (Q50, V46). I felt like I vaguely remembered some questions from GMAT Prep V2 (not sure whether there is any overlap). Also, there was a mistake with the software in the verbal part in that I got the very same sentence correction question twice.

It was interesting that despite making just 4 mistakes in verbal, all of which after question number 28, I didn't get a single bold face question. Not sure whether this has to do with the older version of GMAT Prep but I guess the key takeaway would be not to stress yourself out if on the test you don't encounter any such question; you can still be doing pretty well.

For Saturday and Sunday I plan on going through my error log, skim through my quant and verbal summaries and do two more practice tests in total. On Monday I'll mostly just chill out. Any advice on last minute test prep is highly appreciated.

Good job! :) A GMAT Prep 770 will definitely get you 700+ on the GMAT if you keep calm and perform the same way :)

And don't worry too much about anything. Two more practice tests at the time slot you're actually taking the exam would be good. Take it with the AWA just to make sure you have the energy for sitting there for however long. :)

And the day before the exam, just relax. Don't study anything - maybe review a few concepts you're unsure of and watch a mindless movie or something :)

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just finished the second test of GMAT Prep V2. I got 780 (Q50, V48) with four mistakes in the quant section and only one in verbal :-D I also completed the AWA section to make the test experience a more realistic one. I knew the answer to maybe 3-5 questions in each section.

I find AWA pretty difficult to be honest. I only managed to write 4 paragraphs in each of the essays and the wordcount must have been 400 words, tops. The AWA takes out a lot of energy too. I'm glad I did this trial run and I'd definitely recommend others to do the same prior to the exam (at least non-native speakers).

For AWA I actually have the following questions and would appreciate any comments:
- Does the vocab you use matter, i.e. do you get some sort of credit for using fancy terms or is this irrelevant?
- Do you guys jot down ideas before starting to write or do you start writing immediately? The reason I ask is that I'm somehow afraid that if I take too long to develop the ideas in my head I won't have enough time to write (30 min is just so short). How much time do you think before you start typing?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3473 [0]
Send PM
3-5 repeats is not too bad, so your score is probably not inflated too much :)

As for AWA, just read Chineseburned's guide. Really.

Personally, I am a decently fast thinker/writer, so I plan to use around 5-10 minutes to think and lay out an outline - introduction, three main points, conclusion, examples, reasoning etc. and then use around 15-20 minutes to write down. Of course, this might vary with familiarity of the topic. If I get a topic asking me to talk about civil reforms, then I am probably gonna take a while. But if it is about implementation of some sort of technological innovation, I'll probably fare better. Eventually, it doesn't matter as long as you get the substance right. Same goes for fancy words - really don't think they care. Look at the key words chineseburned has put up. That guide is really useful. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.05
Send PM
Good luck today
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Good luck yo! Keep us posted :)

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Quest for a killer GMAT score ;-) - 720, retake? [#permalink]
So I took my GMAT last Tuesday and scored 720 (Q48, V41). I'll wait with a detailed debrief as I'll probably sit for the exam one more time. I know that there is a great "retake - yes or no" thread on this forum but nonetheless wanted to ask the community for an opinion on whether, given my specific situation, it makes sense to retake.

Practice scores:
GMAT Prep V2, test 1: 760 (Q49, V47)
GMAT Prep V2, test 2: 720 (Q49, V39)
GMAT Prep V1, test 1: 770 (Q50, V46)
GMAT Prep V1, test 2 (retake): 780 (Q50, V48)
MGMAT 1: 700 (Q47, V39)
MGMAT 2: 700 (Q47, V40)
MGMAT 3: 730 (Q49, V40)

Other relevant facts:
- GPA: 3.7/4
- Undergraduate degree in busines administration from a very decent school
- Very good grades in quantitative subjects
- European, non-native speaker (though I communicate in English with my wife)

Exam experience (might be of interest to others taking the exam as well):
- Overall difficulty: The difficulty of the quant section of the exam was comparable to GMAT Prep, the verbal section felt slightly more difficult.
- Timing: For some odd reason I was really afraid of not being able to finish the math section on time, so I kinda rushed through it. When I reached question 30, I had 28 minutes left. Overall I felt that bad timing might have affected my score.
- Combinatorics: I got only one combinatorics question. The question was extremely basic. This reconfirms my opinion that, unless you aim to score 51, it is probably not worth to spend a lot of time on studying combinatorics.
- Choosing your seat: There were only four people taking the exam. I was able to sit wherever I wanted and chose, what I retrospectively have to say, a really stupid place. There was an open window and the sun shone on my screen, making reading somewhat difficult. I don't think this directly affected my score but it was annoying.

Reasons for retake:
- I feel the result is at the lower end of my practice scores and doesn't reflect my true level of abilities (I hope so at least :-D )
- Score is lower than the median score of class admitted to Stanford (where I plan to apply)
- I have plenty of time to retake (applying next fall)
- I think that benefits of a high GMAT score extend beyond increasing the chance of admission. They also help in obtaining a scholarship, finding a job upon graduation, etc.

Reasons against retake:
- Balanced score (both sections above 80 percentile)
- Risk that adcom will think that I don't set priorities right

I'd appreciate your feedback.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
At this point, I'd say that you could retake and choose to send it depending on what you get. But your score is excellent nonetheless! Congrats :)

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37453 posts