Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 08:06 It is currently 02 May 2024, 08:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: HKUST 2011-2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I am a 28-yr old Chartered Accountant (ICAI, India) and a Certified Internal Auditor (IIA, Florida, US) with approx. 6 years of diverse experience in auditing, forecasting and financial analysis, essentially in a fortune 100 multi-national, including 3.5 years of international exposure - participating and leading audits in different Continents across the globe - including US, South America, Europe and Australia. I have also been a part of an SAP implementation - implementing some advanced systems such as Material Info System and Experimental Parts System. I am currently working as Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis in JD Pune. My academic record has been consistent - with several college level ranks and awards in oratory, theatre, creative-writing and classical music.

XII % - 80% (Distinction)
TY BCom - 70% (Distinction wih third rank in college)
CA - Foundation and Intermediate in first attempt and Final in 2 attempts
CIA - First attempt

Besides, several professional recognitions further strenghthens my profile.

However, with a GMAT score of 640 (Q47,V31) / AWA 5.5, I was slightly uncertain of getting an interview call. But then I get mails like these to keep my hopes alive.....What do you guys say? Should I be hopeful till Jan 11 or just give up and move on......It really hurts....I had worked extremely hard on my application....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shivdattaambe wrote:
Yet to get an interview call.. I emailed them last week and here's what I got:

Thank you for your email. Please be informed that we are still processing the 1st batch application. It appears to me that your application is still under review. As mentioned on our website, candidates who are shortlisted will be informed by Jan 11, 2010 and we appreciate your patience.

Are they still processing the R1 applications? They must be done by now...right? I had sent out my application on Nov 14..still waiting......... :-(

I also submitted my application on 14th Nov...I have their offer. B-schools are very unpredictable in this regard- you never know what type of profiles they are looking for. I am sure you will get a call from them soon- all the best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shivdattaambe wrote:
I am a 28-yr old Chartered Accountant (ICAI, India) and a Certified Internal Auditor (IIA, Florida, US) with approx. 6 years of diverse experience in auditing, forecasting and financial analysis, essentially in a fortune 100 multi-national, including 3.5 years of international exposure - participating and leading audits in different Continents across the globe - including US, South America, Europe and Australia. I have also been a part of an SAP implementation - implementing some advanced systems such as Material Info System and Experimental Parts System. I am currently working as Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis in JD Pune. My academic record has been consistent - with several college level ranks and awards in oratory, theatre, creative-writing and classical music.

XII % - 80% (Distinction)
TY BCom - 70% (Distinction wih third rank in college)
CA - Foundation and Intermediate in first attempt and Final in 2 attempts
CIA - First attempt

Besides, several professional recognitions further strenghthens my profile.

However, with a GMAT score of 640 (Q47,V31) / AWA 5.5, I was slightly uncertain of getting an interview call. But then I get mails like these to keep my hopes alive.....What do you guys say? Should I be hopeful till Jan 11 or just give up and move on......It really hurts....I had worked extremely hard on my application....

you definitely have a very good profile. I am sure any b-school would like this.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Below is my profile. Application status "under review".. applied in R2

GMAT: 650
more than 7 years of IT Consulting experience for Financial Services sector
B.Tech ( 67%)
CFA L3 candidate -- June 2011
Professional Risk Manager certificate from PRMIA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I think I may be barking up the wrong tree by looking into HKUST, I crapped out on my GMAT 620, but I have been living in Taiwan for 2 years teaching corporate communication(english) and can speak chinese. If my essays are good, you think they may over look my low gmat?
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Yes they will ... scores above 600 are considered.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
well then, i just needed a push, guess I have to wait till R3 thou, at least some time to revise my essay
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everybody,

I applied for round 1. GMAT 740/5.5. Bachelors in Engineering and M.Sc from US in Electrical Engineering. 3 yrs work experience in the US.

Still haven't heard from them. Is that a bad sign? Do you guys think they have completed there interviews for R1?

Congrats to everybody who made it and good luck to those still waiting.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V32
Send PM
date for R1 is 11 jan.... so be hopeful
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Int. Business
Schools:HKUST, MBS, USC, Hawaii, UCSD
GMAT 2: 660  Q39  V41
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: Education
Send PM
Hope they are just taking a New Years break...still haven't heard anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
I am working on my application for HKUST. I noted that a resume copy is not preferred, but rather we have to try and accommodate all our accomplishments on the essays.

Could somebody advise me whether its wise to use the last essay "What do you want the Admissions Committee to know about you as a person?" as a typical resume?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HKUST, INSEAD
 Q37  V34 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V41
WE 1: 8.7 yrs by Aug 2011
Send PM
AIM15 wrote:
nycgirl191 wrote:

Actually, I don't, and if I were accepted into INSEAD, I would be quite torn. I prefer HKUST's location (rather than INSEAD's S'pore campus, which I've heard is a corporate office bldg with no real 'campus' feel and is not 1/1000th of Fonty) and the small class size.

However INSEAD has that shiny rep and a massive alumni base, which could prove very useful in the future. It would be a very tough decision!

What about you?

What did you finally decide? Are you paying the fee to HKUST? Iam in the same boat

Well, seeing as INSEAD is sticking to their timeline, and I have no other application on the line, I am going to pay the deposit to HKUST. I've asked my INSEAD coordinator to let me know prior to Jan 12 whether I even make it to the interview round, but either way, the only way to ensure I go to school in Aug is to drop 50,000 HKD. I will cross the INSEAD bridge if/when I come to it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
shivdattaambe wrote:

Thank you for your email. Please be informed that we are still processing the 1st batch application. It appears to me that your application is still under review. As mentioned on our website, candidates who are shortlisted will be informed by Jan 11, 2010 and we appreciate your patience.

Are they still processing the R1 applications? They must be done by now...right? I had sent out my application on Nov 14..still waiting......... :-(

lets join the club.... it sucks because we got 1 week or so left for interview deadline so it is pretty much a ding. i wish they can be straightforward...
Intern
Intern
Schools:IE
WE 1: IT Consultancy
WE 2: Public Gov Sector
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
shivdattaambe wrote:

lets join the club.... it sucks because we got 1 week or so left for interview deadline so it is pretty much a ding. i wish they can be straightforward...

1 week to go.......i actually just received my interview invitation and did it, almost 2 months after my application. So dont give up.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

New to the thread as I just found it, great info here

I applied in R1 as well and intereviewed within 2 weeks. They sent me the "need 4 more week until decision" email back in mid Decemeber. HKUST is my first choice and I hope to get the acceptance soon! They are waiting on my hardcopy transcript still from my undergrad school so I don't know if that has affect on it, hope they get it in the next few days as my school sent it to them before christmas

To the people that have been admitted, congrats and how do they tell you? email first?

Keeping my fingers crossed in Toronto, Canada! Thanks in advance for any replies!

just to note: My backgroud is Elec Eng and I'm a project manager at a Nuclear Power Plant (6 years). I also have experience in Real Estate Sales as Im a part time Realtor. (3 years)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HKUST, INSEAD
 Q37  V34 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V41
WE 1: 8.7 yrs by Aug 2011
Send PM
chiukel wrote:
Hi Everyone,

New to the thread as I just found it, great info here

I applied in R1 as well and intereviewed within 2 weeks. They sent me the "need 4 more week until decision" email back in mid Decemeber. HKUST is my first choice and I hope to get the acceptance soon! They are waiting on my hardcopy transcript still from my undergrad school so I don't know if that has affect on it, hope they get it in the next few days as my school sent it to them before christmas

To the people that have been admitted, congrats and how do they tell you? email first?

Keeping my fingers crossed in Toronto, Canada! Thanks in advance for any replies!

just to note: My backgroud is Elec Eng and I'm a project manager at a Nuclear Power Plant (6 years). I also have experience in Real Estate Sales as Im a part time Realtor. (3 years)

Hi! Well, I will just say, apparently it is a very slow boat to China. I had my undergrad office mail a transcript on Dec 13th, and it just got to them yesterday!! When I applied, I just used a scanned copy of my transcript, and I only sent a hardcopy after I was accepted but told I needed to send it in.

They let me know of my acceptance via email, title of the email was "HKUST MBA: Admissions notification - NAME (Reference No: #######)", and I got it at 4AM NYC time :) Then a couple of nights ago they had one of their adcom call me with the interviewers' feedback and to answer any questions I might have.

Good luck!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your reply nycgirl

lol, ya the mail takes long over christmas and new years i guess when going overseas. I will be looking at my emails for that subject no doubt in the next couple of weeks.

Im probably in the boat with the R2 people that are currently being interviewed I guess.....out of my control now so we will see.

Hoping to be at HKUST this falll though!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts