Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 09:09 It is currently 06 May 2024, 09:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 658 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Re: 770 First Attempt (Q49, V47) [#permalink]
Congrats on the great score. That is the highest verbal score the I have ever seen. Good work.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
congrats! amazing score and great de-brief.

quick question: are you talking about the 4 Kaplan CATs that come with the Kaplan Premier book and can be accessed online via the online companion?

i thought those tests were just too liberal with their scores (complete opposite of the Kaplan CD-based tests and Knewton)... glad to know they were more or less accurate in your case...

the online Kaplan CATs have given me the highest scores to date and I was wondering what to make of them... hope the Kaplan CATs are close to being accurate! at least in your case they seem to have been close...

congrats again...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Thanks for the congratulations and comments!

Financier - yes I am a native English speaker

Quote:
quick question: are you talking about the 4 Kaplan CATs that come with the Kaplan Premier book and can be accessed online via the online companion?

Yes - I took the 4 Kaplan CATS via the Online Companion. Also, I forgot to include in my original post that I did one of the Kaplan Linear Tests (so I actually did 5 Kaplan tests). I took the linear test by mistake, only realized during the test that it wasn't adaptive. I got the 680 on the Linear test. If you exclude the linear score, my Kaplan CAT scores were 800,780,740,730 (oddly in that order). So my average Kaplan CAT score was 762 -- closer to my real score than Manhattan and even GMAT Prep, but with a higher range (70 point range for 4 Kaplan CATs vs 60 point range for 6 Manhattan tests)

I saw a bump in the Quant scores going from Manhattan to Kaplan - I think this bump reflected may have reflected a more realistic complexity of the problems on the Kaplan tests vs the Manhattan Quant. Maybe this is similar to what you are seeing going from Knewton to Kaplan.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Send PM
Great score ! Im in a similar boat as you, solved 2 gmat preps , got 730 on the 1st and 740 on 2nd, and so far 2 MGMAT tests, 1st 740 and 2nd 720 ... My highest verbal raw score has been only a 42 ... Any suggestions on what I could do to reach a 47 .. Ive got on an average about 8-9 incorrect on verbal.. I know its not really how many questions you get wrong, offcourse the level of the question matters.. But somehow I have never managed to go past a 42....

I would highly appreciate if you give a rough idea of your verbal section on GMAT preps or even MGMAT tests. For example how many incorrect do you get? Is there a pattern or which type you get incorrect ?

Any suggestions would be of great help... Thanks very much!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
tradinggenius wrote:
I would highly appreciate if you give a rough idea of your verbal section on GMAT preps or even MGMAT tests

I pulled some data from Manhattan's assessment reports, which may be helpful for you. The stats are for all 6 CAT exams in aggregate. The % right for each question type were about the same for my Kaplan and GMAT Prep CATs.

CR -- 87% right 700 avg right, 720 avg wrong
RC -- 80% right 670 avg right, 730 avg wrong
SC -- 60% right 680 avg right, 710 avg wrong

Overall, I knew that I wouldn't excel at SC, so that was the area I focused my studying on (although in general I reviewed more Quant than Verbal). On the test, my general verbal strategy was to spend more time on CR and RC questions to really make sure that I got as many of those questions right as possible, knowing that I would miss some of the SC questions. This strategy worked out well, because you need to spend more time on RC and CR than SC anyway.

If I had another week to study for the verbal, I think I would have reviewed the idioms list in greater detail and tried to memorize more of them to avoid the trap of picking the answer that "sounds right" but is really incorrect.

I think your plan is going to depend on where your strengths and weaknesses are. The Manhattan analytical tools can help with that, but you can also get some of the data with a decent OG tracker.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q49  V31 GMAT 2: 690  Q46  V39
Send PM
i envy to people like you - get everything from the first go ... others MUST struggle to achieve a half of what you've achieved
Good job!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
770 in first attempt !! Whoa !! Congratulations to you !
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37393 posts