Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:43 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72899 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:GWSB
GMAT 2: 610
Send PM
Re: Let's Eat - Best Restaurant Recommendations [#permalink]
If you are around Washington, DC area and love sushi, here are the two places I would recommend: Sushi Damo in Rockville, MD and Kaz Sushi in DC. Personal account on visiting these places in my blog: https://parttimembadegree.com/sidenotes/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Great idea, I love recommendations that are not from a travel guide

This is my fave place in Phoenix:

Chelsea's Kitchen - absolutely delicious American bistro food, steaks, seafood etc and in a nicer part of Phoenix, close to the Biltmore hotel and shopping center, lots of bars, great views. If you go when the weather is not too hot, make sure to sit on the patio under hundreds of white lights and twinkilng stars. Classy place with great service. https://www.chelseaskitchenaz.com/index.html
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
Favorite place in San Francisco: Osha Cafe. Amazing, amazing Thai food! And it's literally two blocks from Union Square so that's even better! I went there with my boyfriend once and absolutely loved the food.

If you plan to attend Haas, then there's Thai Basil and Pasta Bene. Thai Basil gets my vote for being the best and affordable restaurant. And Pasta Bene has AMAZING tiramisu!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72899 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Updated. Thank you!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
Since no top restaurant list could possibly be complete without NYC:

I'd highly recommend Hearth in the East Village (restauranthearth.com). Excellent Italian influenced American food and a great wine list. The menu changes daily and is completely overhauled seasonally, so specific recommendations are tough, but the snapper crudo appetizer, gnocchi side dish, and apple cider donuts dessert seem to be relatively consistent on the menu and are all outstanding.

Also Macao Trading Company in Tribeca (macaonyc.com). Chinese-Portuguese fusion, which sounds a little strange but works incredibly well. Plus there's a pretty cool lounge in the downstairs. Specific recommendations are tough on this because the steady stream of very tasty mojitos plus dinner that consisted of a variety of small plates makes it hard to remember what all was ordered. I do remember the chicken dumplings, grilled lamb chops and peking style pork ribs as being very tasty though.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jerz wrote:
Since no top restaurant list could possibly be complete without NYC:

I'd highly recommend Hearth in the East Village (restauranthearth.com). Excellent Italian influenced American food and a great wine list. The menu changes daily and is completely overhauled seasonally, so specific recommendations are tough, but the snapper crudo appetizer, gnocchi side dish, and apple cider donuts dessert seem to be relatively consistent on the menu and are all outstanding.

Also Macao Trading Company in Tribeca (macaonyc.com). Chinese-Portuguese fusion, which sounds a little strange but works incredibly well. Plus there's a pretty cool lounge in the downstairs. Specific recommendations are tough on this because the steady stream of very tasty mojitos plus dinner that consisted of a variety of small plates makes it hard to remember what all was ordered. I do remember the chicken dumplings, grilled lamb chops and peking style pork ribs as being very tasty though.

Thank you - this sounds mouth watering!

I have not spent much time in NYC and the 2 times I was there ate either at the hotel or the 24 hour deli (ugh)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
In New York City, while there are COUNTLESS notable restaurants, I would highly suggest going to Locanda Verde. They have the most delicious authentic Italian food. Every course was absolutely ravishing! I would particularly suggest the brussel sprouts and the apple crisp. Truly unforgetable food! There is nothing on the menu that you can order and not enjoy!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Austin - Uchi Sushi is great!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you!

I will be going to a nice place here in Seattle and will post my thoughts/review.
I have to say my trip to London has been a waste of food resources. The 3 restaurants I have visited were nothing special :(

I am looking forward to trying the place recommended by MichMax in Phoenix Next week!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Kudos
When I'm in NYC, I always go to Lowcountry (https://www.lowcountrynewyork.com) for a skirt steak (rare) and a Good Times Specials (a can of PBR & a shot of bourbon). Never disappoints, highly recommended.

In Toronto, the best brunch around is at Lunch Box*.

*disclaimer: I co-own this restaurant, so my opinion may be subject to bias.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
brainhurt wrote:
When I'm in NYC, I always go to Lowcountry (https://www.lowcountrynewyork.com) for a skirt steak (rare) and a Good Times Specials (a can of PBR & a shot of bourbon). Never disappoints, highly recommended.

In Toronto, the best brunch around is at Lunch Box*.

Would love to try the Lunch Box. I love Toronto and was told Montreal was another good food city. It's been a long time since I've been there. (Went to Vancouver a few weeks ago and that was good, though hard to be trendy with a 2 year old in your lap)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Had 2 great eating experiences:

1. Canlis in Seattle
An old school restaurant in Seattle - it's been around for 60+ years and for a long time has been the gold standard in Seattle and though it is no longer the one and only, it is because other restaurants rose up rather than Canlis' decline. We had the Steak Tartar and it was magnificent. The Hallibut was great - completely not what I expected but a lot of flavor. The wagyu steak was great too! But the place is expensive. We have justified it as a 4-in-1 combo: anniversary, valentine's, celebration for grandpa's bday, and a date-night. However, the service is really what puts this place aside of others. If you get up, you will always find your napkin nicely done for you upon the return and the valet does not give out tickets. When you walk out, your car will be waiting for you - they just know

2. Chelea's Kitchen in Phoenix (on the list already)
Though the impression I was given, was that it was a simple place, it is not!
It looks like a place that may have started out humble but now is very popular and is definitely busy (reservations are highly recommended!). The menu is the hearty southwestern cousine. We had the two highly recommended items (tacos and chicken grill) and both were good though the grilled chicken was my favorite - very juicy and flavorful, not your typical supermarket chicken.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.05
Send PM
For philadelphia, I will weigh in. There is only one good eater in the entire city:

Monk's

Famous for the beer selection, this Belgian-focused restaurant is famous for it's mussels and burgers. Whether you go with the burger or mussel, get an extra order of their frites. If you care, I get the Monk's Burger (which is the best burger I have ever had) but the other burger types are excellent as well.

Also, I am not a beer drinker, but I drink beer at Monk's. They have delicious flemish sour ales, which are the anti-beer-drinkers drink.

Seriously, go to Monk's - it's the only good place to eat in the city (ok, Vietnam is a good restaurant too, but it's no Monk's).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
bb wrote:
Would love to try the Lunch Box. I love Toronto and was told Montreal was another good food city. It's been a long time since I've been there. (Went to Vancouver a few weeks ago and that was good, though hard to be trendy with a 2 year old in your lap)

If you visit Toronto again you should definitely come! You won't have to worry about being too trendy, my 2 year old will be running amok :wink:
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
brainhurt wrote:
bb wrote:

If you visit Toronto again you should definitely come! You won't have to worry about being too trendy, my 2 year old will be running amok :wink:

Great! i will bring my 2-year old :)
I really do like Canada a lot and hope to be able to make it in the next 3-6 months. I have a reason to go for work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Detroit - Hockeytown Cafe!! For the game lovers :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Send PM
I've been tempted to repost some others :)

Austin
-----
Salt Lick BBQ - In city and @airport
Wink
Driskill BBQ
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4