Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 07:26 It is currently 23 May 2024, 07:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Same ol story: High verbal, low quant. Need advice! [#permalink]
Well, then I'd say the answer would be this: if you think you can improve on your 700 (and your quant, specifically) with a few months of good studying, do it. Getting up in the 730-750 range would make you more competitive not only for admission, but also for scholarship offers from those schools.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the responses. I really don't think I can bring myself to study again. I took the Veritas class twice (they let you take it again for free if you feel you didn't do well enough) and just didn't get over that quant hump. I really thought i was on the 730+ track but honestly, I'm pretty happy with the 700.

Is it a good idea to call attention to my low GMAT quant score in the essays and say that I had a quant background and what not?
Director
Director
Send PM
EChopeful12 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I really don't think I can bring myself to study again. I took the Veritas class twice (they let you take it again for free if you feel you didn't do well enough) and just didn't get over that quant hump. I really thought i was on the 730+ track but honestly, I'm pretty happy with the 700.

Is it a good idea to call attention to my low GMAT quant score in the essays and say that I had a quant background and what not?

Hmm, I don't really know what to say on that. Some people say you want to address any weaknesses in your profile along with anything that would help mitigate them, but I'm not sure if drawing attention to them is always a good idea. I got a little lucky with Haas--they had a short answer question which specifically asked what I had done to demonstrate quant proficiency and what steps I'd taken to strengthen myself in that area. So that's where I talked about all the undergrad courses I took and the fact that I enrolled in mbamath.com to refresh my skills. I didn't specifically mention my GMAT score though. The HBS application also had a question about what I would like the AdCom to know about my undergrad experience, so that's where I talked about all the quant courses I took even though I was a history major. If you have opportunities like those in your applications I'd say that would be the way to go, rather than to explicitly say "I got a low Q on my GMAT but it's ok because I have done quant work in the past."
GMAT Club Bot