Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:19 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing; International Business
Schools:Georgetown, GWU, NYU
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MGMAT CAT vs Actual exam [#permalink]
Thanks for the responses... I scored a 29 (Q) 34 (V) on the practice... I expected to do better than the 570 I scored 2 years ago but I knew I wasn't really ready to take a practice. Do you think I should wait to take another practice after I get through all of the strategy guides?

Also, I'll refer to the practice test thread. Thanks, again!
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
bulletproof wrote:
Thanks for the responses... I scored a 29 (Q) 34 (V) on the practice... I expected to do better than the 570 I scored 2 years ago but I knew I wasn't really ready to take a practice. Do you think I should wait to take another practice after I get through all of the strategy guides?

Make sure you keep an error log. This is key to over coming your weakness on the test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Have you gone through all the MGMAT guides before taking the CAT?

I plan to do the MGMAT CAT after I finish studying all MGMAT guides.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
bulletproof wrote:

Your verbal is pretty good for a start! Go through MGMAT Quant giuides first and note down stuff that is new to you/hard for you. Do the In-action problems. The number properties guide is awesome. This guide alone will take your accuracy up! Once you are done with the Quant guides, take another MGMAT CAT. If you wish, you could take another CAT after 2 weeks too. I generally take CATs every 10 days or so.
I think it should take you 3-4 weeks,at the maximum, to complete the Quant guides. Your CAT score should definitely be higher in this second one.
For Verbal, find your weakness, RC,CR,SC??, and improve upon it.

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
heygirl wrote:
bulletproof wrote:

Your verbal is pretty good for a start! Go through MGMAT Quant giuides first and note down stuff that is new to you/hard for you. Do the In-action problems. The number properties guide is awesome. This guide alone will take your accuracy up! Once you are done with the Quant guides, take another MGMAT CAT. If you wish, you could take another CAT after 2 weeks too. I generally take CATs every 10 days or so.
I think it should take you 3-4 weeks,at the maximum, to complete the Quant guides. Your CAT score should definitely be higher in this second one.
For Verbal, find your weakness, RC,CR,SC??, and improve upon it.

Good Luck

heygirl: haha, like the sn.

Thanks for the suggestions. If anything, I think the score I got this morning was a huge wake up call... I need to really study! Yes, the Quant guides seem to be really helpful so far. Take care!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Samwong wrote:
Have you gone through all the MGMAT guides before taking the CAT?

I plan to do the MGMAT CAT after I finish studying all MGMAT guides.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

No, I didn't go through all of the MGMAT guides, yet. I just started the third guide, tonight. I think it does make sense to wait to take the CATs until I've completed all strategy guides but I wanted to see where my problem areas were. Best of luck to you as you study!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:MSU Broad $
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Keep time on your practice problems by using a stop watch. Even though each question won't be timed individually (which you could do I guess with the lap button) you will be aware of the time it takes for practice problems, similar to what you will experience on the test. Like others have said keep an error log, also keep a log of problems that take you too much time. I think that is one of the most underrated aspects of the test, especially since you can't skip a question. If you cut down on your time for some problems you will have more time on problems above your difficulty, which you will able to get right and thus raise your score. I'm no expert on the GMAT but I did raise my score by 50 using this method.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg (Rd 1 Ding), Stanford (Rd 1 Ding), Haas (Rd 1 Admit!!!), Booth (Rd 2-Int Ding), Anderson (Rd 2-Int Admit!!)
Send PM
I definitely thought the MGMAT cats were more difficult than the gmat prep cats. But strangely, i felt the real deal math section was pretty difficult.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:MSU Broad $
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
yeah the first time I took the test I thought I was looking at Hieroglyphics
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Send PM
I agree with the fact that MGMAT is more difficult that the real GMAT. I always struggled to complete the MGMAT tests on time, and had spare on the real GMAT. I also had much easier questions on the real GMAT than on MGMAT. Maybe I just had a lucky streak on the real GMAT, but in my opinion it was both easier than MGMAT and the practice GMAT software
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance / Management
 Q48  V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
think my test results show you sth about the relationship .. i completely underestimated the gmatprep (knewing that mgmat is more difficult) and this resulted in an annoying 650 in gmatprep cat1 yesterday .. i gave the 2nd gmatprep directly (30min break) afterwards and tried to focus a bit more .. as you can see in my profile it worked!

i'd conclude the following
- verbal: RC seems really easier for me .. made no mistake in my 2nd gmatprep cat! CR .. same level, bit more concise .. SC same!

- quant: depends on your level, i got a 49 in the 2nd try yesterday and the questions were quite hard .. but not as hard as mgmat!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i just gave the mgmat free test online and i got 650 :( i want to target 700 plus and my gmat is in 1 week!! i got quant 46 and verbal 33
GMAT Club Bot