Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [4]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Re: My TOEFL experience - before,during and after the test [#permalink]
Entwistle wrote:
Oh, come on! :D

Don't leave us in suspense man ^_^

I hope it went well :beer:

Entwistle, it went ok. I could not concentrate on listening much :-(
Speaking was also a mess but I still feel I performed MUCH better than many others (i could hear them speak)

Added my post ,btw :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Oh by the way this test center had a safe area to keep our belongings. Something that was not there in my testing centre of my last attempt(any of you taking the test in New York City then PM me, I"ll give you this centre address. It is really good!!)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
heygirl wrote:
Oh by the way this test center had a safe area to keep our belongings. Something that was not there in my testing centre of my last attempt(any of you taking the test in New York City then PM me, I"ll give you this centre address. It is really good!!)

I don't know but when ever it comes to the actual tests, I never remember anything! I always remember what happened before I start answering and after I finish answering! But in between?.... No idea!

:?
8-)

Anyway.... Good Job! The test center in my city is also pretty cool... No technical difficulties... and they served a Mango drink and some biscuits during the break!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
haha, me too. I don't remember much of the test. But, I still want to post some tips here for those who need to take the TOEFL. I have some memories of the test, so will make use of it :-)

mango juice :-D sounds nice! My earlier test center was very bad!So i was blown away by this one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Bookmarks
Before I forget, I wanted to add a few things about the test.

This test starts with the REading Section. I got 5 passages and about 13-14 questions on each passage. MY passages came in groups times separately. The first passage was 20 mins with 12 Questions then the second group(2 passages) were 40 mins with a total of 18 questions and third group was 2 passages again with 28 questions and 40 mins to answer the questions(reading time included here). One good thing about the TOEFL passages is that, you don't need to read the whole passage and understand it. Go one paragraph at a time. The questions also show up in the same order as the paragrpahs are arranged. Typically, 2-3 questions are asked on each paragraph.

Worth noting - although the passages and the questions are easy, they require A LOT of stamina from our side to sit through it and read 5 passages with over 100 words in each paragraph of every passage. Trust me ,this was not fun.

Next, is the listening section. Here I got 2 groups of questions.First one had 1 conversation and 2 lectures. The second group had the same format. We are given 10 mins to answer questions. the time to listen to the recordings is not included in this 10 mins. Fairly easy section EXCEPT if you start dreaming as I did on a couple of passages. Note down a few things, if you wish. But ,if your memory is good enough then you may not need to note down much.

BREAK - 10 mins. my TOEFL center had coffee and bananas available to test takers. We also had an area which was designated to keep our belongings. Use this break to go to the restroom,drink some water and a quick snack,if need be.

Now, the speaking section starts. For this section, I used the templates given in this forum. This is the link : https://gmatclub.com/forum/toefl-instructional-videos-speaking-writing-very-useful-100611.html
I just followed the templates. The only problem with this section is a 1.5-2 minute conversation may need to be summarized in 1 minute. So, that's hard! To overcome this, practice 2-3 questions from each type and that should be good. I used some practice from youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2Q0upiD_0&feature=related.
The first and the second question were the same tpye for me(state your preference). I think the official guide to the TOEFL iBT,2nd edition lists this as 2 different questions types.So not sure what to expect here but the other 4 questions were as mentioned in th guide/templates.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
 Q39  V20
Send PM