Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 08:02 It is currently 20 May 2024, 08:02
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Re: Gmat scoring [#permalink]
carlq wrote:
zxiaoli1 wrote:
I think the gmat score does take time into account, especially for the first question.If you spend a long time on the first question, the base of your score will be low even you get it right. The longer you spend on one question, the easier your next question will be and lower score you will get. So make a choice between answering it right and answering :evil: it quickly. Belive me. I had my lesson.

Can you offer us some kind of proof or evidence of this? Otherwise posts like this are highly irresponsible - somebody may read this and believe it.

This is the official ETS line:

Quote:
How Is Your Score Determined?

Your score is determined by:

1) the number of questions you answer
2) whether you answer the questions correctly or incorrectly
3) the level of difficulty and other statistical characteristics of each question

There is nothing about how long you take to answer a specific question.

Originally posted by AkamaiBrah on 01 Aug 2003, 14:11.
Last edited by AkamaiBrah on 01 Aug 2003, 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Gmat scoring [#permalink]
AkamaiBrah wrote:
carlq wrote:
zxiaoli1 wrote:
I think the gmat score does take time into account, especially for the first question.If you spend a long time on the first question, the base of your score will be low even you get it right. The longer you spend on one question, the easier your next question will be and lower score you will get. So make a choice between answering it right and answering :evil: it quickly. Belive me. I had my lesson.

Can you offer us some kind of proof or evidence of this? Otherwise posts like this are highly irresponsible - somebody may read this and believe it.

Maybe you should practice what you preach. You are the one making the original assertion, which you have made with no reasonable basis other than your own "expert" intuition and which can erroneously lead a student to rushing on a question unnecessarily should you be proven wrong.

This is the official ETS line:

Quote:
How Is Your Score Determined?

Your score is determined by:

1) the number of questions you answer
2) whether you answer the questions correctly or incorrectly
3) the level of difficulty and other statistical characteristics of each question

There is nothing about how long you take to answer a specific question.

Just who is "irresponsible"?

Akamai - I think you messed up who you were responding too. I was questioning the original poster "zxiaoli1".
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gmat scoring [#permalink]
Sorry, I did not mean to confuse all you.

The speed will somehow decide the level of the difficulty of the next question. Anyway you will get a better score if you can finish the test quickly and correctly. Image the same test for two people, the one who finish earlier with the same number of correct answers as the other one will definitely get the higher score.
???
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: gmat scoring [#permalink]
zxiaoli1 wrote:

The speed will somehow decide the level of the difficulty of the next question. Anyway you will get a better score if you can finish the test quickly and correctly. Image the same test for two people, the one who finish earlier with the same number of correct answers as the other one will definitely get the higher score.
???

zxiaoli1 - again - do you have ANY evidence of this anywhere??? This goes against everything written about the test.
GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Re: gmat scoring [#permalink]
zxiaoli1 wrote:

???

You are totally wrong in both your assertions. The type of question you get next is solely dependent on whether you get the question right or wrong.

You get NO brownie point for finishing early.

I challenge you to find one iota of evidence supporting any of your "facts".

Originally posted by AkamaiBrah on 01 Aug 2003, 19:26.
Last edited by AkamaiBrah on 01 Aug 2003, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just like all of you I am trying to find the truth, no point to mess thing up.

Following is the in formation I copied from one tutoring website:
The big problem we're now seeing with that approach is that students spend too much time on problems they can't solve and don't get to problems they can. The result is a significant drop in scores. My students who blow the timing on their first try and get the timing right on their second usually improve almost 100 points.

So don't stick with the most difficult problems too long. Blow them off quickly and get onto the next question.
Eternal Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1482 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Look, who cares about strategy, understand the content behind questions. You must be scoring very high if you are worry about trivial crap like this :lol:
GMAT Instructor
Send PM
[#permalink]
zxiaoli1 wrote:

The big problem we're now seeing with that approach is that students spend too much time on problems they can't solve and don't get to problems they can. The result is a significant drop in scores. My students who blow the timing on their first try and get the timing right on their second usually improve almost 100 points.

So don't stick with the most difficult problems too long. Blow them off quickly and get onto the next question.

While that quote is certainly reasonable, your assertions that: 1) the GMAT gives you different questions based on your time spent on the previous question; and 2) one will get a higher score if one finishes earlier are most certainly not inferrable from that quote.

Telling people not to spend too much time on a problem is good advice.
Telling people that you get more points or a different question for doing a problem quicker is bad because it is not true
Teaching good time management is good advice.
Telling people that they will get a higher score for finishing early is bad because it is not true

If you want help people find the truth -- don't spread things that are not true.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73280 [0]
Given Kudos: 18987
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
OK, Jokers,

I took the PowerPrep just to reply to the rummor - the time you spend on the question does not matter.

I took like 7 minutes for the first question and 5 for the second one. I also procrastinated a lot but then finished about half an hour early since I knew most of the questions. The score was regular.

I miseed 4 questions: 8, 11, 26, 27 and I got 49, which is 93rd percentile.

I did not have time for verbal fun...

TIME DOES NOT MATTER.

-=-
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73280 [0]
Given Kudos: 18987
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
zxiaoli1 wrote:

Zxiaoli, your email address is incorrect, the one zxioli1@yahoo.com; can you please fix it? I keep getting returned messages when you you are supposed to get a notification. I will appreciate a bit of cooperation.

BB
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]