Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:06 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: University of Chicago Reputation? [#permalink]
chambax wrote:
thanks for that nikhilfotedar - very reassuring.

I'm sure it doesn't affect career opportunities etc ...

It just seemed like the people I spoke with made it out to be more than a mere bias, but a major liability perceived by economists and financiers on a broad scale...

If anyone else has any thoughts I would be very grateful!

Thanks!

First, you have to distinguish between the Universtity of Chicago economics department and the Booth school of business. Many professors have joint appointments to both, but most do not.

The one thing I really like about Booth is that while they're known for liberal economics, they're very much diverse. You get Gene Fama at one end of the hall talking about how markets are ultra-rational, and at the other you get Richard Thaler, probably the most important behavioral economist alive today, talking about how irrational people make the markets by extension irrational. And I don't know what liability you could be talking about. Chicago has its shares of Keynesians as well--it's not Princeton, but you definitely won't be indoctrinated. But then again I bring up my original point: you're talking about Booth, not the economics department.

If you really want to know more about this, watch this documentary online on behavioral econ. Notice how both sides of the leading arguments are represented at Chicago.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Send PM
Obviously you gotta go with where you are most comfortable with, and a few peoples' opinions really shouldn't matter. That said, I know that Chicago's reputation in economics breach further than its school of economics. According to my limited pool of law school friends, even its law program (which is highly ranked too) is known to have this bent in this type of "economic thought" academics when people apply. Booth's program is very well regarded in finance, so you shouldn't have a problem if you want to go into investment banking and other roles.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I would agree with the point about their economics. Their Finance beliefs are pretty set in stone as well. Don't go mentioning alpha. You will get stared at and suddenly found yourself getting woken in the night by an angry mob with torches.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
chambax wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a concern you guys might be able to dispel. I was recently admitted to Booth but after mentioning it to a couple people I got strange reactions. Two well-educated and accomplished people I know strongly recommended i don't go to the university of Chicago because of its "controversial reputation in indoctrinating extreme orthodox liberal economists".

I don't live in the US and it is difficult to know to what extent this image is widespread and to what extent it represents reality.

I am almost certain I will be attending Booth, but am curious to know what you guys think of this.....

Thanks!!

Congratulations on getting into Booth. Booth is known for its 'free-market' and 'markets are efficient' theories but it does not limit you from your own opinions.My husband graduated from Booth few years back and absolutely loved the experience.He did join Investment Banking at Lehman ( :cry: ) and highly recommends Booth school for Finance.But I have to say that the name recognition of Harvard, Stanford, outside US, surpasses that of Booth school....atleast thats what we felt back home in India.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi chambax,

I would not be concerned about the two comments you heard. Chicago Booth is an excellent business school.

We actually discussed some great reasons to attend Booth on Quora here:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-top-r ... of-Chicago

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
GMAT Club Bot