Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 05:10 It is currently 23 May 2024, 05:10
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Other
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: 740!! Should I retake? [#permalink]
everyone here is going to tell you not to retake,
everyone here will think you are a maniac for even contemplating retaking a 740
everyone here will tell you that it cant help you much at all.

no matter what, if you wanna do it, then just do it. If for some reason you get the same score or god forbid a 730 I think your judgement as a reasonable human being comes into question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
There is just no way I can get below a 740. I got a 740 with almost 20% of my normal concentration levels. I am 100% sure that I will hit >=760.

So, would like to get the opinion from you all on how much would a 20-30 marks increase from 740 will help me given that my scores aren't balanced at all right now and I am applying from a very highly competitive pool of Indian/Engineer/IT(software).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@sivaelectric I gave the tests every 15 days. The first test I wrote of MGMAT was like 10-15 days into my prep. The last 4-5 tests, I wrote with an interval of 3-4 days.
I know I just can't go below a 760, so would a 20-30 increase from 740 be taken as a positive or a negative?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I appreciate your confidence buddy, but 740 is not a bad score at all. Above others, its your opinion in the last. Go for it if you are completely confident. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Look just take the damn test again then, of course a 760+ is better than a 740. Only your highest score will be used. Lol at 20% concentration level, bump it up to 25% and you should have the 760. Now is that 20 points going to be the difference between a ding and an admit? I'd say no, but do whatever you want.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73337 [0]
Given Kudos: 19004
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
See here: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

If it makes you sleep better, and let's you prove a point and get 99th percentile, then yes :)
In terms of a practical reasons - there are not too many but they exist:
1) If you want/plan to teach GMAT
2) If the school you are applying to has merit scholarship (probably not). Only lower level schools do
3) If you want bragging rights and want to put it on your resume (very few consulting companies/finance shops ask for it but they do)

You won't need this score to impress anyone at a top 10 school nor will it impress anyone. It is more of a checkmark. Most feel it is a better use of time to spend it on Essays.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@bb, now thats what I call a perfect reply... :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:

If it makes you sleep better, and let's you prove a point and get 99th percentile, then yes :)
In terms of a practical reasons - there are not too many but they exist:
1) If you want/plan to teach GMAT
2) If the school you are applying to has merit scholarship (probably not). Only lower level schools do
3) If you want bragging rights and want to put it on your resume (very few consulting companies/finance shops ask for it but they do)

You won't need this score to impress anyone at a top 10 school nor will it impress anyone. It is more of a checkmark. Most feel it is a better use of time to spend it on Essays.

Thanx a lot BB for the reply..

No I don't plan to teach GMAT and neither do I want to brag about my score. Yes, I definitely want to get into consulting companies. Din't know that some of them ask for this.

Well, it is something like the score just doesn't reflect my true level. There were some bad circumstances(resulting in almost no sleep) which led to it. Considering the highly competitive Indian/IT Pool, I wanted to have atleast a 760(which was not wishful thinking given my prep and mock cat scores).

Now, am already going thru the gmatclub threads in detail, but would reallly really appreciate if you(with your vast knowledge of experiences of different candidates on this forum) can tell me whether schools consider retaking and improving by say a 20 marks to be a negative?
I have lotsa time(3 full months) for my essays even if i retake the exam after a month.

Again, Thanks a lot for all your help guys..
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37471 posts