Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Tuck, Kellogg, Tepper
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Info Systems and Technology
Schools:Virginia Tech
 Q37  V26 GMAT 2: 610  Q39  V35
GPA: 3.542
Send PM
Re: Shaken by the GMAT! [#permalink]
On your practice tests, did you write both essays? Maybe you were just mentally exhausted by the time the verbal section came up on the real deal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
aznboi986 wrote:
On your practice tests, did you write both essays? Maybe you were just mentally exhausted by the time the verbal section came up on the real deal.

I have the same question...

but mate...ur post is intimidating....please retake GMAT at the earliest and give fellow members comfort with a 720+

all d best
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks for all the replies. was totally low so couldnt reply to your messages.

1.For all the mocks I had written the essays and took the exams at the same time as my actual GMAT.
2. I have seen similar experiences like mine, would like to hear from few experts whether the GMAT is changing these days?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
One of my friends has taken the GMAT yesterday and he too is shocked. His feedback is that he encountered several questions in Quantitative section that are neither at all covered nor even talked about in the Official Guide. There were many other test takers at the center to whom he talked and have come the know that all of them encountered the same situation as he did. It seems that the GMAT is changing and especially the Quantitative section since the questions have got more and more tough than what are there in the OG. As per the feedback from many test takers in the last 15-20 days, the OG stands nowhere as compared with the difficulty level of the questions in the actual GMAT.

I think that it is high time since GMAC released an updated OG.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mittal,

I agree with you that the GMAT Quant has become quite tough compared with the OG.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
mittal82 wrote:
One of my friends has taken the GMAT yesterday and he too is shocked. His feedback is that he encountered several questions in Quantitative section that are neither at all covered nor even talked about in the Official Guide. There were many other test takers at the center to whom he talked and have come the know that all of them encountered the same situation as he did. It seems that the GMAT is changing and especially the Quantitative section since the questions have got more and more tough than what are there in the OG. As per the feedback from many test takers in the last 15-20 days, the OG stands nowhere as compared with the difficulty level of the questions in the actual GMAT.

I think that it is high time since GMAC released an updated OG.

GMAC is releasing new OG and updating the gmatprep in 2012. The exam is definately changing. i encountered several weird graphs and diagrams i had never seen before. I wish i had taken this exam 4 years ago.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Dude,

I faced EXACTLY the same problem. Here is link to my post, please check it out -

huge-gap-in-gmatprep-test-score-and-actual-gmat-score-113701.html

Also check out the debrief of another person with same situation as ours -

multiple-disappointments-with-gmat-clueless-now-116546.html

I guess there has been a discrepancy in GMATprep Verbal question level and the actula GMAT exam verbal question level. I know 2 more cases of my friends where the same thing happened - they were scoring high in Manhattan and GMATPrep but eventually got low score in actual GMAT.

In all the cases , one thing is common - unexpected low score in verbal section.

But going by the debriefs of other people(who are getting similar scores in mock and real exam), it seems that we are missing something in our preparation. One thing can be lack of stamina , other can be that verbal section is coming very difficlut these days and we need to take our prepartion to the next level
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Link was not apperaing properly

Here is the link to my debrief -

huge-gap-in-gmatprep-test-score-and-actual-gmat-score-113701.html
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator: