Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Multiple disappointments with GMAT - Clueless now!!!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Dude,

I faced EXACTLY the same problem. Here is link to my post, please check it out -

huge-gap-in-gmatprep-test-score-and-actual-gmat-score-113701.html

I guess there has been a discrepancy in GMATprep Verbal question level and the actula GMAT exam verbal question level. I know 2 more cases of my friends where the same thing happened - they were scoring high in Manhattan and GMATPrep but eventually got low score in actual GMAT.

In all the cases , one thing is common - unexpected low score in verbal section.

But going by the debriefs of other people(who are getting similar scores in mock and real exam), it seems that we are missing something in our preparation. One thing can be lack of stamina , other can be that verbal section is coming very difficlut these days and we need to take our prepartion to the next level
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@amp0201: Thanks for your suggestions on the need to remain motivated. As you pointed out, I am analyzing my performance to find out what went wrong and how I can rectify the same.

@bmillan01: Thanks for giving a comprehensive reply and forcing me to think about right issues. I completely agree with you on the quants part. I think I have developed reasonable competency on the content. In my practice tests, I routinely finished Quant section within 72-73 minutes. I do think that continuing my practice with tougher Quant questions is the only way to improve on this part.

Regarding your queries about fatigue/exhaustion during the exam, I never felt exhausted at any point of time during the exam. I took enough practice tests (around 12) before taking the final exam and this helped me build my stamina. I also took both the optional breaks during the exam and had couple of candies during the second optional break, though I didn’t eat anything in the first break.

On verbal, I think practice with tougher passages may help, so I will implement your suggestion on that.
During my practice, I used to do CR and SC in bunch of 10-15 questions in time frame of 20-30 mins and for RC did 3-4 RC in one sitting giving 8-9 mins per RC passage. In my full tests, my average time to finish the entire section is 70 minutes with SC average at 1:15 minutes, CR at 2:00 mins and RC at 2:00 mins per question. However, there always are a few previously seen questions in these full CATs and therefore the timing estimate probably needs to be suitably adjusted for the same.

During the actual exam, I feel that I got bit stuck in CR questions and found them difficult as compared to gmatprep and other material that I have used before. In hindsight, I realize that I should have done guess work in the middle of the section rather than wait till the end of the exam.

Hope this answers your queries. I look forward to your suggestions and comments.

@mohit005 – I agree with you – the actual verbal questions seemed a little different and tougher than in GMATPrep. This tells me that I have some more distance to cover in improving my verbal competency. Let me know if you have any specific suggestions for the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
ttin I'm in the EXACT same spot as you are. Rewriting for the 3rd time on August 3rd. If it goes well, which it should, I will share my strategies with you.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Kudos
The first thing to do is take a small break from the GMAT. Even if we develop the perfect strategy, at this point burnout can appear and sabotage everything. I'm not sure how long, but perhaps take two to four weeks off. You need it and deserve it.

Once you're ready and refreshed, practice with all 25 GMATClub tests. Complete and review one test each day. Another good source for upper-difficulty questions is Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Challenge set. It's a tad expensive (25 dollars) and has a large amount of combinatorics and statistics questions, but the set provides 100 interesting problems and excellent explanations. Both sources total to over 1,000 math problems of the highest quality.

The main focus, however, must be verbal. As I stated before, re-read Manhattan SC and perhaps the Powerscore CR Bible if you're still uncomfortable with CR. And, again, use lots of LSAT questions for CR and RC. These are generally considered more difficult than what you find on the GMAT. Plus, you have already exhausted most GMAT sources. Anyway, you can find hundreds of these at bookstores and on the forums here.

I also assume that you have thoroughly reviewed the OG 12 and OG Verbal. If so, retire those for good. You would simply waste time and revisiting those questions might give a false sense of where you stand now. It's time to move on.

I also noticed that you have few posts. You need to be much more active on the verbal forums and answer questions there and fully defend your choices. Aim for 200 or 300 posts.

And I don't know if this is necessary, but have you looked into a RC guidebook? I used the Powerscore RC Bible; it's expensive and super boring, but the book helped me some. Another option is GMAT Fiction in order to practice your reading speed.

And as regards to timing, you informed us of your timing with the verbal questions. Reduce the time for CR and RC by a few seconds each session. If you go over that time, then mark it as incorrect regardless of your answer choice.

During the tests, I ate some nuts for one first break and then drank a Gatorade for the other. I always took the breaks to stretch, splash water on my face, go to the bathroom, and walk around. This helped me stay fresh. Another test strategy for you is to simply guess. The best time to use it is when you're still in control, not when you have ten minutes to answer eight questions. And while I said this before, it's worth repeating: always stay calm!

These are only general ideas. I'm sure other members (including you) can add to this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks bmillan01. Your suggestions on the additional materials are quite useful and I would incorporate the same in my preparation.

On the timing front, I agree that If I can shave a few seconds from my average CR and RC, it may be useful. I specifically noticed that I take up to 30 seconds more in those CR and RC questions that I eventually end up getting wrong as compared to the ones that I get right. So, my average time for correct CR questions is 1:45 but for wrong ones it is 2:15 - its a sort of double whammy here. I guess the trick is to train myself to make a forced decision on CR problems no later than 1:45 seconds, as apparently the extra time spent on the problem anyway is unlikely to yield results and see if I can push that cut-off point further to about 1:30. If I can achieve that, I may get some additional time for RC, which is one section with lower accuracy.

Of course, its very easy for me to write it here but no that easy to master and maintain in real test conditions. But that is my task I have on my hands and there is no getting away from it :-)

Lets see how it goes.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts