Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 03:26 It is currently 03 May 2024, 03:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Sometimes Quant can't get you there [750 Q43, V51] [#permalink]
Wow! That is some score in verbal. Congratulations!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, London Business School
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Congratulations!!! Awesome score!! A V51 is just a perfect verbal score. Thank you very much for the detailed debrief on your verbal strategies. I concur that a strong SC base can enable more time to spent on CR & RC.

Just had a quick question, for RC, how much notes did you actually take? Would you right down the gist of each sentence in each para passage as outlined in MGMAT or one line describing the entire para?

Thank you very much. Good luck with your applications!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Good Score. Congrats!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
roshpat wrote:
Congratulations!!! Awesome score!! A V51 is just a perfect verbal score. Thank you very much for the detailed debrief on your verbal strategies. I concur that a strong SC base can enable more time to spent on CR & RC.

Just had a quick question, for RC, how much notes did you actually take? Would you right down the gist of each sentence in each para passage as outlined in MGMAT or one line describing the entire para?

Thank you very much. Good luck with your applications!!

For RC - I will give you an example. As we say in the Airborne community of the United States Army, "STANDBY!"

I am going to pick a random RC passage and outline it like I would on any test. I will do this from scratch and time myself and then post how long it took me to completely read and highlight the passage. This is a VERY DIFFICULT PASSAGE!

A recent generation of historians of science, far from portraying accepted scientific views as objectively accurate reflections of a natural world, explain the acceptance of such views in terms of the ideological biases of certain influential scientists or the institutional and rhetorical power such scientists wield. As an example of ideological bias, it has been argued that Pasteur rejected the theory of spontaneous generation not because of experimental evidence but because he rejected the materialist ideology implicit in that doctrine. These historians seem to find allies in certain philosophers of science who argue that scientific views are not imposed by reality but are free inventions of creative minds, and that scientific claims are never more than brave conjectures, always subject to inevitable future falsification. While these philosophers of science themselves would not be likely to have much truck with the recent historians, it is an easy step from their views to the extremism of the historians.

While this rejection of the traditional belief that scientific views are objective reflections of the world may be fashionable, it is deeply implausible. We now know, for example, that water is made of hydrogen and oxygen and that parents each contribute one-half of their children's complement of genes. I do not believe any serious-minded and informed person can claim that these statements are not factual descriptions of the world or that they will inevitably be falsified.

However, science's accumulation of lasting truths about the world is not by any means a straightforward matter. We certainly need to get beyond the naive view that the truth will automatically reveal itself to any scientist who looks in the right direction; most often, in fact, a whole series of prior discoveries is needed to tease reality's truths from experiment arid observation. And the philosophers of science mentioned above are quite right to argue that new scientific ideas often correct old ones by indicating errors and imprecision (as. say. Newton's ideas did to Kepler's). Nor would I deny that there are interesting questions to be answered about the social processes in which scientific activity is embedded. The persuasive processes by which particular scientific groups establish their experimental results as authoritative are themselves social activities and can be rewardingly studied as such. Indeed, much of the new work in the history of science has been extremely revealing about the institutional interactions and rhetorical devices that help determine whose results achieve prominence.

But one can accept all this without accepting the thesis that natural reality never plays any part at all in determining what scientists believe. What the new historians ought to be showing us is how those doctrines that do in fact fit reality work their way through the complex social processes of scientific activity to eventually receive general scientific acceptance.

All told, it took me 2 minutes and 4 seconds to read and highlight this passage. Here are my verbatim highlights made on scratch paper. A brief legend: I separate notes on each paragraph with numbers, such as 1)

1) Rec. hist expln reflect of world --> sci ideol
ex: Pasture rej theory b/c ideology not evidnce
Philo of Sci agree w/hist

2) IMPLAUSIBLE (author's stance)

3) Need 2 combine ideas, accept parts of each

4) Hist shld provide own evidence

As you can see, my notes are very succinct, brief, and sometimes only a word or two per paragraph. The KEY is that even if you write only ONE WORD, it should be a summary of what you feel that paragraph (or sentence, thought, etc) communicates in relation to the author's opinion and the general flow of the passage. Remember that all of these passages are going to ask you the SAME general questions: "The author's attitude on X would best be described as", etc. Specific questions, got it, maybe make a note or two that will jog your memory back to a key spot in the paragraph. It is all about timeliness and efficiency, developing a pattern that makes your brain comfortable with any text, no matter how hostile it might seem when you first start internalizing the subject matter. Does this help?

EDIT:

Further info -
Remember what the intent behind highlighting is: You are not trying to rewrite the passage! Even if you could write that fast, it would actually probably have a negative impact. What you are doing is training your brain to keep this RC passage in your short-term (read: 4-5 minutes or less) memory for just long enough to answer 4 multiple choice questions. After that you can forget it forever! Develop a personal mechanism that works for you in which you have a type of EXTREME shorthand, such that certain trigger words or phrases will automatically jog your memory. Obviously this will only work with a decent amount of practice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Thank-you ebonn! your RC approach is similar to the one rhyme posted few years back.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
You rock ebonn! Wish you all the best in your Application process. I visited Harvard and Sloan last year, and attended their classes. I met many Army guys there. I see you applying in Harvard - they love Army folks - good luck dude!

ps. I saw that you said 4 question/RC multiple times in your replies. I thought it's generally 3 for 2 RC and 4 for the other 2 RC. Anyways.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Hi ebonn101 - For improving the SC skills are you recommending 1000 SC,etc ?
I was a bit confused when going through sources other than OG/GMATPrep questions (except MGMAT-SC/Aristrotle) because many questions appeared to be ambiguous.
Also OG and GMATPrep questions appeared to be the best indicators of the real thing.

Can you please elaborate on your base foundation for Verbal score -
How you improved your SC accuracy combined with speed ?
This will help us all.

RC -
Were you never feeling sleepy or weared out when reading some boring RCs ?
If so, how did you handle it ?
If not, what you would you have possibly done if faced with this situation ?

CR -
Any general inputs for improving the speed and accuracy in CR apart from diagramming ?
If diagramming, how best to diagram to ensure the least effort and maximum results ?

Your verbal score puts you in an enviable position to share some of these inputs with all of us.

bb-We can have Verbal Legends added along with GMATClub legends :D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 442 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Very impressive verbal score, congratulations!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Ebonn if I didn't know any better i would say you have mastered the Highlighting technique for RC. I think that was the key to your fantastic score. Congratulations!

How did you improve on CR?
What were the practice materials that you used?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, London Business School
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Thank you for the very detailed reply with the example!! Really appreciate it. I will try and incorporate a similair technique.
Once again, congratulations on the monster verbal score and good luck with the applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
owsm Verbal bro......great....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
ecashzone wrote:
owsm Verbal bro......great....

FYI... I think somebody here already has your mascot ;-). Beware he might sue you! jk...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Send PM
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
Ebonn if I didn't know any better i would say you have mastered the Highlighting technique for RC. I think that was the key to your fantastic score. Congratulations!

How did you improve on CR?
What were the practice materials that you used?

Posted from my mobile device

I used MGMAT CR exclusively. Follow the techniques in there and diagram, and you'll have similar success. Remember that the key is remaining within the scope of the passage. OG and MGMAT have everything you need to master CR. You just have to pace yourself and take the time to understand each passage.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [3]
Send PM
Kudos