Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:41 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Wake Forest
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: 710 (Q 50 V 36)? What next? [#permalink]
I'm going to go ahead and echo losttraveller here - 710 with 13 months of experience is not a bad place to be. Could be a fringe top 10-20 applicant, but you only have room to go up with 3+ years of experience and/or a few points on your GMAT. Wait and take the GMAT again in a year or two - at worst you'll have the additional work exp.

Megatop- Any idea where you'd want to apply?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Wake Forest
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
Send PM
I was thinking about Columbia, Wharton, MIT, Stern and potentially HEC Paris... are these too aggressive for my profile?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Skimming the 2010/2011 profiles w/No discussion will give you some insight into the admits. It looks like applicants with similar profiles have received interviews so you should be in the right range. Though I'd imagine Wharton could be tough (Mind you... I don't know a thing about Wharton, but this is based on the Wharton 2012 thread real time admission stats data plot)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Mega, if you have a good story and clear career goals I think you'll be competitive at most schools. Based on your list, I would give them a shot... what's the worse that can happen? The 740 for Indian applicants is only because there is a very large demographic of Indian applicants and most will boast 740+ GMAT's. For reference a colleague of mine (35, Indian, Male, UC:Berkeley MBA), was the one who initially told me the disparity between Indian and US applicants. If you browse the boards here and look at admitted profiles of Indian applicants, I think you can draw your own conclusion. Again, with solid work experience (Mega it appears you qualify here), you can offset the gap in GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
To All,

Two questions :
- Are all the schools restricting the applicant pool based on demography?

- What is the single biggest differentiating factor among all these multiple factors used by HBS/Stanford/MIT-Sloan ?

Premise - The person has at least 5 years experience from a reputed firm with at least 1 year international experience. S/he belongs to the most common demographic applicant pool. S/he has worked in multiple roles ranging from team player, team leader to mentor. S/he has worked with multiple business partners in various roles.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I think this is getting too specific. It's not 100% guarantee an Indian applicant with a sub-740 won't get in... it's just that there are so many applicants representing that demographic that anything under 740 is kind of a burden. All schools (at least T-15) aim to have a diverse class. That means they don't want any single demographic dominating the class structure. With the average T15 US school having a roughly 30-40% international student body, you can kind of back into your chances.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
losttraveler wrote:
I think this is getting too specific.
It is better to be specific because broad-ended questions will not attract the desired answer.
losttraveler wrote:
It's not 100% guarantee an Indian applicant with a sub-740 won't get in... it's just that there are so many applicants representing that demographic that anything under 740 is kind of a burden. All schools (at least T-15) aim to have a diverse class. That means they don't want any single demographic dominating the class structure. With the average T15 US school having a roughly 30-40% international student body, you can kind of back into your chances.
Yes, that is understandable because the aim of any T-15 school in US or anywhere is to be counted among the T-15 in world. This can be achieved through a diverse background.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
krashe wrote:
Hi,

I really need some help in figuring out my future. I took my GMAT on Aug 20, 2011 and scored a very sub-par 710. I have a work experience of 1 yr 1 month as an oil trader at a proprietary group. I graduated from Indian Institute of Technology with a GPA of 3.4 (though it isn't high, i was the dept. topper).
What chances do I have at elite B-schools? If those are slim,
a) Are there any other good b-schools that I could apply?
b) or, should I retake the test?
c) or, should I wait and apply next year?

Any suggestions, replies and tips (esp. with regard to ISB, India) would be welcome.

PS: It's my first post. So feel free to give any additional info that I might have left out as well.

Do not try to translate your IIT GPA into a US equivalent. The US version will always be lower. IIT and other international schools seem to use rank (rather than absolute GPA/Percentage) as the performance measure. If you were at the top of your class then that will make you very competitive from an academic perspective. As for your GMAT, 710 is a great score (92nd percentile). However, in the Indian IT male demographic the average is about 30 points higher. While a 710 won't keep you out of any school other parts of your app may have to work a little harder for you. More work experience and/or a GMAT retake (with a 40-50 point increase) will definitely help your application. But please remember that your application is about more than your "stats." Someone who's only worked for 2 years may have better QUALITY experience than someone who has worked for 5. It's really about telling your story. Convey leadership, teamwork, and that you're an interesting person. This is the stuff that will really make you competitive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
krashe wrote:
Hi,

I really need some help in figuring out my future. I took my GMAT on Aug 20, 2011 and scored a very sub-par 710. I have a work experience of 1 yr 1 month as an oil trader at a proprietary group. I graduated from Indian Institute of Technology with a GPA of 3.4 (though it isn't high, i was the dept. topper).

What chances do I have at elite B-schools? If those are slim,
a) Are there any other good b-schools that I could apply?
b) or, should I retake the test?
c) or, should I wait and apply next year?

Any suggestions, replies and tips (esp. with regard to ISB, India) would be welcome.

PS: It's my first post. So feel free to give any additional info that I might have left out as well.

Hi there

When applying to ISB a minimum of 2years of work exp is requisite. We would advise you to gain more work exp to make your position stronger.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I disagree that 710 is too low for an Indian applicant. I've a 720 myself and I was debating a retake, but was told by some consultants (Alex, Clearadmit and SBC) not to and instead focus on the essays. I'm an Indian applicant as well with a technology background.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
krishp84 wrote:
Two questions :
- Are all the schools restricting the applicant pool based on demography?

Of course!

Haven spoken to b-school admission staff, schools very much tries to create a class profile that puts the school in the best light. That includes a certain percentage of international students, women, minorities, educational backgrounds, GPAs and GMAT scores.

Honestly, I don't think a 710 GMAT for an Indian applicant is a no-go. It all comes down to the entire profile of the applicant. If you have a cookie-cutter background and the only thing you're bringing to the school is a high GMAT score, it better be really high.

If you bring a unique background, you can off-set a lot of the GPA and GMAT "requirements".

It's all a trade off in the adcom's mind. If a school is aiming for an average GMAT score for admitted students of 720. Then if you have a 700, you better be bringing something else to the table.

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Work for a few more years before considering applying anywhere. You wont be seriously competitive at any school without more experience. In two years go ahead and retake the GMAT or GRE. However, in the meantime focus on advancing your career instead of what business school you will be attending. Strong career progression will help you far more than anything else you can accomplish going forward.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
The whole Indian thing is a myth, I am convinced. It is the love of all the Indian Engineers to compete on the basis of a number. It entirely neglects that an Indian Engineer with a 710 and a great personality will find themselves in a school no problem at all. That is the part the average candidate seems to lack. Should you be in the range for a school or above 700, there is no reason for it to be a mark against your name - Indian, Welsh or Mongolian.
GMAT Club Bot