Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 08:58 It is currently 06 May 2024, 08:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke MMS applicants for Fall 2012 intake!! [#permalink]
which MFin programs are you considering?
Warwick....Cass?
I am indeed interested in making mathematics and finance as my career. Looking at my profile,which programs would you suggest me to apply? My mathematics in 95% and A-grade throughout my school and all undergrad maths courses respectively.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhc22 wrote:
which MFin programs are you considering?
Warwick....Cass?
I am indeed interested in making mathematics and finance as my career. Looking at my profile,which programs would you suggest me to apply? My mathematics in 95% and A-grade throughout my school and all undergrad maths courses respectively.

I am still planning on that. Warwick, Perhaps. Cass, not quite. The situation is very tough in the West and it doesn't make sense to apply for program just for the sake of it.

Nevertheless, I would recommend that you check out the Financial Engineering programs from Columbia, Masters in Computational Finance from CMU Tepper and many such schools. Just google it. Mostly they are in the US.

You should also check out Masters in Strategy and Management from LSE - given your engg background. A really good and very competitive program.

I am not sure whether your maths scores will be helpful in getting admission. But! if you are proficient then you will breeze through the program and understanding it would also be much easier - something that would help you in the long run. Getting the admission is just the beginning man.

and, Did you speak to the adcom ? What did they say?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i mailed catherine. She didnot reply yet...

LSE needs a gpa of 8.5 which i dont have. they have clearly mentioned it.So maybe no chance for me there.
Warwick is really competitive. But nevertheless,i may apply.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhc22 wrote:
i mailed catherine. She didnot reply yet...

LSE needs a gpa of 8.5 which i dont have. they have clearly mentioned it.So maybe no chance for me there.
Warwick is really competitive. But nevertheless,i may apply.

Oh yea, I saw that. Luckily I have 82% aggregate in my final exams, so that is way above the requirement of 65%.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
from my research,i think that 80% is better than 8.5CGPA. just check the LSE entry requirements. they have mentioned india specific requirements.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dude,go ahead with LSE. Your degree will be held in awe all over the world! 8-)

What do you think about MFin of Imperial?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhc22 wrote:
dude,go ahead with LSE. Your degree will be held in awe all over the world! 8-)

What do you think about MFin of Imperial?

I will talk about Imperial, first tell me what makes you think that my degree will be held in awe in the world ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
:lol:

Its LSE! They are a brand of world's most respected economists. You will be taught by professors who are authorities in their own field. Its industry-connections are very good. And in present scenario,given the fears of recession,employers will doubly check the reputation of the school and the quality of education that a candidate has got before hiring him...These are reasons enough i think.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhc22 wrote:
:lol:

Its LSE! They are a brand of world's most respected economists. You will be taught by professors who are authorities in their own field. Its industry-connections are very good. And in present scenario,given the fears of recession,employers will doubly check the reputation of the school and the quality of education that a candidate has got before hiring him...These are reasons enough i think.

But they have more than 50 degrees. LSE is more like a degree factory. Agreed that they have the best economists, how can you be sure that the same professors are going to teach you ?

Plus, given the tough conditions, the graduate market is fiercely competitive.

Also, do you know about the recent visa changes, there is a very high possibility that you will have to come back.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ya. i was told about the visa changes by a friend.he has applied to manchester for MS (engineering).
Indeed,LSE is like a degree factory,but its industry connections still stand out!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhc22 wrote:
ya. i was told about the visa changes by a friend.he has applied to manchester for MS (engineering).
Indeed,LSE is like a degree factory,but its industry connections still stand out!

Do you know anyone personally who graduated from LSE and is doing big now?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No. I dont know any such person.
But i think that in these times, we will have to take calculated risks. Some schools may have steller placement records. But recession may hit and many jobs may be cut... visa regulations may change... and so many other factors. When we have the reputation of the school on our side then it may leverage us against other graduates... it may even help us to get jobs back in india because the school is known all over the world.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhc22 wrote:
No. I dont know any such person.
But i think that in these times, we will have to take calculated risks. Some schools may have steller placement records. But recession may hit and many jobs may be cut... visa regulations may change... and so many other factors. When we have the reputation of the school on our side then it may leverage us against other graduates... it may even help us to get jobs back in india because the school is known all over the world.

yeah

Btw, why are you pursuing masters? you could always work for a few years and then pursue MBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ya. That i can do. But then many factors come into consideration. we indian applicants have a similar profile after 3-4 years of workex-IT professional with good GMAT scores... community services and extra cirriculars may be there. but who does not have them now-a-days. and moreover,we do very little social impact work-working for red cross,going to african countries for social service ( just the profile a top-notch B-School wants! ). And then there is a question of what you have contributed to the company that you are working for (BSchools practically donnot care about your paycheck but they do about what you have done in company,how many clients you served,etc...)
So i want to start my career in a industry where i would have lots to do. Where i would do real work and not act for some support team. because it becomes very difficult for differentiate oneself from a vast pool of applicants who have almost similar profile as yours
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi,

Im in the WRONG post i know :-D , but do you guys know anything about Reims Managemet School in France offering Msc in Management? How reputed is the school, and what is the average class profile?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi taraclarin,
Reims is a good and reputed school. Though i have not researched much about the school, I see that it is ranked 21 in the FT rankings. Now thats a good rank ! And also when u look at the placement percentage, it has a steller 91% .
Masters in Management is a known program in france. And if the school is accredited well, then you can look seriously in this school. I will also research further about the school .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 12-21-2011
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
i have a gmat score of 720 . college gpa is 7.25 . loads and loads of extra curricular activities including individual championships and college student council . which of the colleges do i stand a chance to get it ? for MiM
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts