Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 11:49 It is currently 04 May 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1374 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1374 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1431 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
Send PM
Re: Set-Venn [#permalink]
jamifahad wrote:
I have solved 2 out of 3. Can somebody help me with Q2.? Thanks.

Q.A survey was conducted among 500 ppl each of whom likes at least one of apple, orange , banana.The number of ppl who like apple is 240, those who like orange are 250 and those who like banana are 290.

Q1. If 60 ppl like only apple and banana, then what is the maximum possible number of ppl who like only orange?
1)120 2) 130 3)140
Ppl who like apple = A
Ppl who like orange = O
Ppl who like banana = B
Ppl who like all three= x
We know the formula: Total=A+O+B -{Sum of Exactly 2 groups members} - 2*AnOnB + Neither

Sum of Exactly 2 groups members=Sum of ppl who like only apple and orange + Sum of ppl who like only orange and banana + Sum of ppl who like only apple and banana.

To maximize ppl who like only orange we have to minimize Sum of ppl who like only apple and orange and Sum of ppl who like only orange and banana. It will be zero.

Sum of Exactly 2 groups members= 0+0+60 =60
Also, neither=0
Total=A+O+B -{Sum of Exactly 2 groups members} - 2*AnOnB
500=240+290+250-{60} -2x
Solving for x=110.
Hence maximum number of ppl who like Orange= Total who like Orange-Total who like all three
=250-110=140

Q2. If 120 ppl like only apple, then what is the maximum possible number of ppl who like only orange and banana?
1)160 2)170 3)180

Q3. What is the maximum possible number of ppl who like all the 3 fruits?
1)110 2)120 3)130 4)140 5)150

We know the formula: Total=A+O+B -{Sum of Exactly 2 groups members} - 2*AnOnB + Neither
In this case Sum of Exactly 2 groups members = 0
500=240+290+250-0-2x
2x=280
x=140

HI everyone just wanted to bring this question out in the open

I got stumped in the very first option

in order to maximize only orange from the Diagram I can see only orange is 250 -( x+y+z)= only orange

so in order to maximize I would minimize x+y+z so I would take x+y+z= 0 so maximum only orange = 250

so what is wrong with this logic !! ( assuming actual answer is correct ) why cannot be assume people who like all three (apple . orange and Banana) to be 0?
They have to like at least one, not necessarily there must be some who like all three , so we should be able to take Z=0 in order to maximize only orange unless I am messing up somewhere. Please do help
Attachment:
A O B.JPG
A O B.JPG [ 19.88 KiB | Viewed 4666 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
stne wrote:
jamifahad wrote:
I have solved 2 out of 3. Can somebody help me with Q2.? Thanks.

Q.A survey was conducted among 500 ppl each of whom likes at least one of apple, orange , banana.The number of ppl who like apple is 240, those who like orange are 250 and those who like banana are 290.

Q1. If 60 ppl like only apple and banana, then what is the maximum possible number of ppl who like only orange?
1)120 2) 130 3)140
Ppl who like apple = A
Ppl who like orange = O
Ppl who like banana = B
Ppl who like all three= x

Sum of Exactly 2 groups members=Sum of ppl who like only apple and orange + Sum of ppl who like only orange and banana + Sum of ppl who like only apple and banana.

To maximize ppl who like only orange we have to minimize Sum of ppl who like only apple and orange and Sum of ppl who like only orange and banana. It will be zero.

Sum of Exactly 2 groups members= 0+0+60 =60
Also, neither=0
Total=A+O+B -{Sum of Exactly 2 groups members} - 2*AnOnB
500=240+290+250-{60} -2x
Solving for x=110.
Hence maximum number of ppl who like Orange= Total who like Orange-Total who like all three
=250-110=140

Q2. If 120 ppl like only apple, then what is the maximum possible number of ppl who like only orange and banana?
1)160 2)170 3)180

Q3. What is the maximum possible number of ppl who like all the 3 fruits?
1)110 2)120 3)130 4)140 5)150

In this case Sum of Exactly 2 groups members = 0
500=240+290+250-0-2x
2x=280
x=140

HI everyone just wanted to bring this question out in the open

I got stumped in the very first option

in order to maximize only orange from the Diagram I can see only orange is 250 -( x+y+z)= only orange

so in order to maximize I would minimize x+y+z so I would take x+y+z= 0 so maximum only orange = 250

so what is wrong with this logic !! ( assuming actual answer is correct ) why cannot be assume people who like all three (apple . orange and Banana) to be 0?
They have to like at least one, not necessarily there must be some who like all three , so we should be able to take Z=0 in order to maximize only orange unless I am messing up somewhere. Please do help
Attachment:
A O B.JPG

Oh My!
This is my first post

This question looks really tough ! can some one help with this solution I am also confused , I Think there may be something wrong with this question !!

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts