Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [2]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Send PM
Re: Since the late 1970s, in the face of a severe loss of market share in [#permalink]
The 7th one.

B states that the cost-cutting as a strategy is short-sighted and difficult to sustain.

Is it Short-sighted? Yes
Is it difficult to sustain? No.

The author states at the end of the 2nd paragraph -"...The final 20 percent
rests on implementing conventional cost-cutting. This rule does not imply that cost-cutting should not be tried.
"
Also at the end of the last paragraph the author states, "Together with such strategies, successful
companies are also encouraging managers to focus on a wider set of objectives besides cutting costs.
"

Thus, D sums it up correctly. Cost-cutting as a strategy that is useful and inadequate which means that in addition to cost-cutting we would require something else as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Re: Since the late 1970s, in the face of a severe loss of market share in [#permalink]
you got it..
i re-read 7..and i can agree with D..but also at the sametime i feel B is also correct..isnt the whole point of bringing up the detroit example..they are focused on cost cutting and now cannot sustain that since it has become a vicious circle..

gmatcrook wrote:
I got this one wrong.

My reasoning behind 4 would be the immediate earlier statement made by the author:
(I know! I myself was thinking later on - How did I miss this one?)

"the cost-cutting approach hinders innovation and discourages creative people" - Assertion made by the author.

This cost-cutting approach is the method adopted to improve productivity.

Option C states this clearly.

Am I right fresinha12.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Strategic Management
Schools:La Martiniere for Boys
Send PM
I am getting BCEBBEA

5. This dimension of performance has until recently sufficed as a basis of evaluation, but it has created a penny-pinching, mechanistic culture in most factories that has kept away creative managers.--------> suggests author is critical of the culture prevalent in most factories. Is he cautioning anybody? No. I think he is merely criticizing.

(A) personal observation ---> Every company I know that has freed itself from the paradox has done so, in part, by developing and implementing a manufacturing strategy
(B) a business principle-----> 20 20 40 rule
(C) a definition of productivity ------> given in 1st para
(D) an example of a successful company-------> cited in last para
(E) an illustration of a process technology--------> could not fine one

7. ------> is supported by 2nd para ------> it became clear to me that the cost-cutting approach to increasing productivity is fundamentally flawed
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6811 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
1 B 07:52
2 C 01:03
3 E 01:08
4 B 01:32
5 C 01:29
6 B 00:49
7 B 01:05

rampuria wrote:
5. This dimension of performance has until recently sufficed as a basis of evaluation, but it has created a penny-pinching, mechanistic culture in most factories that has kept away creative managers.--------> suggests author is critical of the culture prevalent in most factories. Is he cautioning anybody? No. I think he is merely criticizing.

(A) personal observation ---> Every company I know that has freed itself from the paradox has done so, in part, by developing and implementing a manufacturing strategy
(B) a business principle-----> 20 20 40 rule
(C) a definition of productivity ------> given in 1st para
(D) an example of a successful company-------> cited in last para
(E) an illustration of a process technology--------> could not fine one

Good job

I plan to object the OA of question 4, but I suddently find this:
"..But the tools quickly reach the limits of what they can contribute."

the cost-cutting approach hinders innovation and discourages creative people. As Abernathy’s study of automobile manufacturers has shown, an industry can easily become prisoner of its own investments in cost-cutting techniques, reducing its ability to develop new products.

4. The author refers to Abernathy’s study (line 36) most probably in order to

(A) qualify an observation about one rule governing manufacturing
(B) address possible objections to a recommendation about improving manufacturing competitiveness
(C) support an earlier assertion about one method of increasing productivity
(D) suggest the centrality in the United States economy of a particular manufacturing industry
(E) given an example of research that has questioned the wisdom of revising a manufacturing strategy

4 makes sense now
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
How can answer for Q7 is D it should be A as it is flawed in second Paragraph. Kindly help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
vketaraju wrote:
How can answer for Q7 is D it should be A as it is flawed in second Paragraph. Kindly help

I struggled on Q7 between A and D as well.

The argument states that cost-cutting is definitely flawed and in the very first paragraph it additionally mentions "the harder manufactures worked to implement cost-cutting, the more they lost their competitive edge.", which indicates that the approach will be ruinous, although I know that this word is quite extreme.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
6 mins 8 sec ... got 4 out of 7 correct. Frustrating to miss Q4. :-\

Some great discussions on this thread as well - https://gmatclub.com/forum/since-the-la ... fl=similar

Best,
Gladi
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [0]
Send PM
Dear workout can you please look into this -

The same passage is present both here as well as here. These two I could find on a quick search

Also, according to my comment above I have attempted the passage on 20th Dec but I am neither able to see timer stats in this topic nor is it present in my error log - maybe I had attempted another merged topic (so there were 4 copies of the same passage!) :-(

Best,
Gladi
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [1]
Send PM
dave13 wrote:
Gladiator59 wrote:
6 mins 8 sec ... got 4 out of 7 correct. Frustrating to miss Q4. :-\

Some great discussions on this thread as well - https://gmatclub.com/forum/since-the-la ... fl=similar

Best,
Gladi

Gladiator59 i very much doubt of OA in 4th q.

No idea what I had commented - the passage seems to have vanished from my error log (multiple topics issue) as well as my memory... :shocked :dazed :?

Will reattempt this one in a few days when I have completely forgotten about my initial attempt. :-)

Best,
Gladi
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 513 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Could someone explain Q4. ?

Why is it C ?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts