Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Ph.D. interviews during busy season [#permalink]
Can anyone relate?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the advice guys! I suppose it probably would be best just to talk to my supervisors and let them know what is going on, I'll probably address this with them in early February or so. The one fear I have is them getting angry and booting me immediately (can't afford that!). I have had friends that worked in public accounting (local firms though) that gave notice that they would be leaving to go to industry and their superiors were furious about it (one was only giving notice that he'd be leaving within a month but he was fired on the spot and there is now bad blood between them). I suppose it does make sense though that going into a Ph.D. program might elicit a different response than going into industry. Greg, that is great to hear that they are supportive of your decision, that must make the whole process much easier. CaliCpa, I am going to be pursuing a Ph.D. in accounting and thanks for your post, I very well may get in touch with you in the future. Again, thanks for the advice guys, this forum is so helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think it's perceived differently when you leave for a deeper reason than money (i've had friends leave for not-for-profits that got very supportive reactions as well). I framed my discussion as I have this ambition I want to take a shot at and I don't know how it will turn out - so it didn't seem like i was definitely leaving. I had partners put me in touch with ADS program liasons at the firm and write me recommendation letters (being 5 years out of school made academic references hard for me to get) so everyone's been really supportive. I don't think you'll have too much to worry about - not sure how your firm is but we're short-staffed anyways so they're unlikely to boot anyone who is capable. I'd maybe pick a senior mgr or partner you're close with and just see what they think about how the firm will handle it. Generally though, I think if you're smart enough to be competitive for a phd program, you're probably good at your job and they'll work with you to keep you around as long as possible. I understand not wanting to press your luck though - Best of luck in applications!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Just make it clear that you want to apply, but in the chance that you don't get in, then you really enjoy the firm and would still want to stay and work there. I know many firms now have programs that help ex-auditors and tax people get into PHD programs for the very reasons I mentioned above.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4387 posts