Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619193 [7]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619193 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Re: Pharmaceutical companies typically charge slightly inflated prices for [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Pharmaceutical companies typically charge slightly inflated prices for drugs that have a large customer base and are heavily prescribed by doctors, in order to balance the losses such companies experience from producing “orphan” drugs—drugs that are used by so few patients that they can never be profitable. New federal regulations require pharmaceutical companies to limit the price they charge for any drug to cost plus a predetermined percentage profit.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?

A. New pharmaceutical technology has made advances possible; the drugs produced by such technology, however, are too expensive for all but the wealthiest patients.

B. If pharmaceutical companies do not find another source of income to balance the losses they experience in producing orphan drugs, such companies will no longer be able to produce those drugs without compromising overall profits.

C. Some patients already request generic pharmaceuticals, when they are available, because they are typically less expensive than name-brand pharmaceuticals.

D. If pharmaceutical companies reduce the costs of producing most drugs, they will be able to earn more profits despite the new law, and thus will be able to balance the losses they experience from the production of orphan drugs.

E. Even though charitable organizations that fund research into the rare diseases treated by orphan drugs provide some donations to offset the costs of the drugs, such donations are declining.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

B

This is an inference question, so the correct answer will be something you know from the argument.

(A) No. We have no information about the drugs’ cost to the patient.

(B) Yes. If the companies can no longer place surcharges on more popular drugs, they will lose the sources of revenue that balance the losses from orphan drugs. They will have to find other revenue sources or lose money.

(C) No. The passage provides no information about generic drugs—it’s out of scope.

(D) No. This is contradicted by the argument, which says there will be a constant percentage of profit allowed. So if drug costs are reduced, the profit should be commensurately reduced.

(E) No. There is no information in this argument about charitable organizations and offsetting of costs.

But, we never knew the amount of profits that are predetermined. I mean to say that, the predetermined profit "could" be way high and infact could lead these manufacturers to earn higher profits than before.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Pharmaceutical companies typically charge slightly inflated prices for [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts