Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
On the whole, I agree.

I think my ding at Kellogg is a matter of fit, in particular of diversity. Even if I looked at the faculty research interests to find a match between them and my research agenda in writing my SOP, I think there are applicants that better fit to their program. Moreover, even if Kellogg had admitted me, I would have preferred to go other schools... since they are relatively weak concerning publications on top-tier journals. In sum, I think their decision is correct.

My question is: how could they have realized such "lack of fit" on the basis of my app?

For this reason, I think it is also a matter of the weights each school assign to each factor. I suppose that for Kellogg diversity worths a lot. Just to make another example, in New York University's application it is not compulsory to talk about your research interests.

Unfortunately, is difficult to understand how a specific school take care of a specific part of an application. Consequently, you should not only be careful, but also lucky - because of the lack of information - in "shaping" (putting emphasis on the factors they consider important) your app consistently with the school demand.

Of course, you should also have the time to try to infer what a specific school is looking for and to customize your application. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here are some insights from my interviews. A large part of research success as a prof is in developing your own research streams. So this is where I think the profs look into your SOP or your interests in talking with you. If your interests are vastly different from those of the department, they might be concerned that it would be tough for them to help you. Articulating interesting and relevant interests, irrespective of whether you ultimately do them, serve as some level of confirmation that you are able to develop research streams. I think diversity might be valued to match profs to students in a rough way, but I am just speculating here. For example, if they take 4 people all with identical interests, the few profs who could help would be overcommitted.

Of course, this is only in the few places in which I have had extensive interviews (I was admitted in all, so I think I have a good grasp of the process). This is a small sample, so it is entirely possible that there are places who bring in the smartest guys irrespective of interests, and just let the chips fall where they may.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
bauble - I think many here are interested to know where you have been admitted to.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
robbie1981 wrote:

For this reason, I think it is also a matter of the weights each school assign to each factor. I suppose that for Kellogg diversity worths a lot. Just to make another example, in New York University's application it is not compulsory to talk about your research interests.

Indeed, I have heard a few times that NYU doesn't require applicants to describe their research interest. I thought this is pretty strange.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i do think that "fit" is the most important factor in the application...
in fact i considered to title this thread "the admittance of the fittest".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
hobbit: Based on my own experience, I'm not so convinced that fit is the most important factor in many business disciplines, given that few incoming students have actually ever done significant research in their preferred field. I agree that a very good and well motivated SOP will help faculty evaluate competence. However, I think students would rather do interesting research about subjects they didn't know about before entering than "stick to their plan" and do something that's either (i) uninteresting, or (ii) been done 15 years ago.

In all, I agree that "intangibles" play a role in admissions, but they're much more closely related to (the school faculty's assessment of your) "potential" than to "fit". This may be different at some schools of for some fields.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4387 posts