Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64939 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Please help me--3 years (on and off) & only 40 point improvement [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
GMATisTorture wrote:
Hi everyone,
Thanks in advance for your time reading this and helping me. I am in desperate, desperate need of it after 3 years of failure. :-(

Some background: got very good grades until about age 14, but had about a 15 year gap of any academic rigor or working with that sort of content prior to starting my GMAT path Jan 2013. Highlights below on what I have done since then. Please let me know where I am going wrong to only get a 40 point increase after all this effort, time, money. Thanks.

--Started Jan 2013 w/"GMAT Advantage - On Site" Kaplan course & their math refresher course. All I really got was a sense of what the test included. There was no depth and no individualized attention.

--After attending every single class and scheduling the GMAT mid March 2013 --I was so unbelievably unprepared and scoring so bad on CATs that I didn't even show up to the exam.

--I made several attempts throughout 2013 despite a crazy new job, starting with the fundamentals--math lessons from my engineering-degree dad and my boyfriend at that time who went to Haas, algebra for dummies type books, reading from WSJ, Economist, Scientific American, Kaplan's "GMAT on demand" program, memorization of formulas, some CATs.

--I took another exam Mar 2014 and scored a miserable 420. I guess it was not enough DIRECT gmat problems to make me feel competent at all at any of it.

--I decided to take semester-long live math classes at local junior colleges through summer 2014. I took intermediate algebra (got an A+) and intro to statistics (got an A-) and a math refresher class (28 hours) that covered things like geometry. Clearly, it seems there is something about the way the GMAT presents problems that's impossible for me to be successful at, where in other formats, I can be successful.

--For various reasons, I didn't restart again until Jan 2016. Since then, I've done nothing else. I reviewed all my formula memorization notes, creating audio files from them to hear during my commutes, I ordered the full set of OG books and took several of their easy/medium/hard quizes (mixed problems) going through every single problem and the explanations thoroughly (which is also what I do with all the CATs I take too...which takes a tremendous amount of time, but I have been trying to shoot for mastery over sheer volume. I scheduled exams again--one for May 27 and one for June 24, I went through the entire quant review book's section 3.1 carefully, I watched a Manhattan full course recording (9 classes of ~3 hours each) and I spent 10 hours with a tutor.

--Results?? 550 CAT UNtimed on April 18 (3 IR, 37 Quant, 29 Verbal) and then a 420 CAT on April 28 (NOTE: ran out of time on quant--at 3 minutes left I was at question 20 and had to guess on several verbal too, IR 1.7, Quant 15, Verbal 32). That's when I decided to look for a new tutor.

--Spent about 18 hours with new tutor over the last month. He had a more structured lesson plan and more direct experience tutoring on the GMAT. He gave me assigned problems from the OG books (389 I went over the past month timed and with a THOROUGH analysis of all the explanations), but in the last month alone I have spent $1,260 and virtually zero results to show for it.

--First of the two GMATs May 27 was a 460. I only increased 40 points from 3 years ago, AFTER ALL OF THE ABOVE EFFORTS AND AFTER UTILIZING TIME MANAGEMENT SKILLS TO GET THROUGH EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM in the exam, which I had never done before. In the past I skipped quite a few problems. The one May 27 was paced fairly well. 1 on IR, 26 Quant, 29 verbal. I canceled it, I was so devastated and confused beyond belief.

Some success stories seem to have pointed to tutoring, but I am not yet convinced. Is it because tutoring does not help much or I just found lazy thieves? The problem I have with both tutors is they don't take enough time to evaluate me holistically. Don't you think a tutor should take a more active role in evaluating trends, pin-pointing where EXACTLY my weaknesses are so we know where to devote more time and energy and they know exactly what I need to fix and how?

The school I am aiming for has a median 660 and I need to apply by end of June. The minimum they take is 600.

Bottom line, I have to date spent over $5,800 on this investment, including 1-3 years of my time and the opportunity cost of not doing other things, including running out of time to be able to start a family. This sort of gambling on life and scarce resources creates so much stress and negativity. At least if I saw some improvement worth mentioning, I could keep going, but psychologically I have been tortured. I really wonder what I am doing wrong here. I don't want to give up, but I really need some advice that will work, as I feel everyone who is supposed to help me has so far just scammed me out of $6K.

Lost, confused, frustrated, defeated, and very sad,
Truly yours.

Hello Karishma, I appreciate your time and response. Please see inline red:

Let me start by pointing out the obvious - no one can help you until and unless you decide to help yourself. People can guide you but since no one can take the test in your stead, it is up to you to put in the required effort. I am not defending any of the courses or tutors you used - all I am saying is that there are people out there who start from 400 and with the help of courses and tutors, reach 700. But if you ask any of them, they will tell you that there is no substitute for your own hard work since you are the one invested in the result.

I have put in hundreds of hours of time over the years. I do take responsibility for doing the work. I used the resources primarily as exposure to info, structure and with tutors: help when the explanations in the book were insufficient. It has so far failed. That's why I am here begging for a new strategy.

There are solid gaps in your understanding. The topics tested in GMAT are fairly standard and uncomplicated so I truly believe that anyone willing to put in the effort can achieve at least 600 in GMAT. Then why haven't you been able to see improvement? I think it has something to do with the way you studied - not the courses you attended or the books you read but how you approached the theory and the problems. Did you go through the entire theory properly on your own after the class? Did you ensure that you have understood everything given in the GMAT specific curriculum? When you practiced questions and got them wrong, did you try to figure out exactly what went wrong? If you did know the theory behind it, why was it that you couldn't solve the question? If you did not know the theory behind it, did you go back to your books to understand it properly? You need to take these steps and ask for help wherever you get stuck.

I did almost all of those. Due to always being heavily rushed due to the timelines around these courses, exam deadlines, etc. I didn't always have the time to spend 45 minutes per question, but I did read all the explanations and I did hear every single lecture, pausing maybe a hundred times per module to write notes and try to understand things. The OG explanations are quite limited, so I would ask the tutors to explain it in a different way. The thing is, I would not always remember everything perfectly the next time I encountered a similar problem. So I may have had exposure to the theory, but for me recall is poor sometimes, which is why I have to memorize things.

This is how I could help you - pick up 10 new problems from 10 different topics. Give yourself 30 mins to solve them. Do your rough work for each problem on a separate page. After you are done, for each problem, write down exactly what you thought when you saw it, how did you start out, next steps you took and then did you arrive at the correct answer (your rough work will help you figure this out)? If the problems are from a standard source such as OG, you are likely to find all of them already discussed on this forum. At each thread, write down your process of solving the problem and pm me the link. Then, I might be in a position to tell you what to do to improve your score.

Thank you very much for offering this, I will do just that! Just give me some time, but I will circle back.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please help me--3 years (on and off) & only 40 point improvement [#permalink]