Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:36 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Please help me set expectations [#permalink]
Kudos
Nothing is impossible, but I do think you should remove Stanford and Berkeley from your target schools.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Part-time programs are easier to get into. This is because part time MBA school's pull from a much smaller geographical area. Since most part-time MBA schools expect you to be fully employed while attending, you must live within a reasonable commute. Some top part time schools such as UCLA and HAAS have weeknight and weekend programs that allow students to commute from long distances. Many students commute on the weekends from San Fran, Seattle, Nevada, Arizona, etc... UCLA also just inserted a new "Flex" program which offers a even more flexible part time mba that you could probably do from anywhere in the country. But I'd say 80%+ students live within 60-100 miles of part time campuses.

Some part time programs don't offer the same career services or recruiting opportunities as the full time programs and often times it is harder to network b/c everyone is much busier. For example, NYU will not let their part time students go through recruiting with the full time students. This is why they aren't ranked as high as UCLA and HAAS in part time rankings. Right now, HAAS is #1 with UCLA at #2.

If you are ok with a part time program, this may be a good option for you, but in fact these schools are still quite challenging to get into, but less than full time. If you plan on working full time during school, this can be a great way to continue to make an income and attain an MBA. UCLA's program can be completed in as little as 27 months, with average being around 33-36 and a maximum of 5 years allowed.

Also, for a school like UCLA, average GMAT is 20 points higher and average GPA is .10 higher for the full time students. But the average incoming student at UCLA is 3-4 years older in the part time program. I would research these schools that have part time programs if you are interested b/c you attain the same degree, and it can be appealing to certain applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
While it is important to set expectations and apply to realistic schools, I know from my own experience that you do not want to be too safe or "realistic"! I think it is important to apply to the schools of your dreams and I am glad I did because I was admitted (though not admitted to lower ranked programs). I spoke with a lot of professionals (consultants) who discouraged me, spoke with professionals who smirked a bit, spoke with friends who looked at me with surprise...when I said I wanted to go to Stanford. My numbers were not the highest and my profesisonal path has been irregular to say the least. If I relied purely on statistics, averages and professionals weighing in, I would not have applied to my top choices, or probably to some of my back-ups. Even my parents were concerned and suggested that I apply to some less challenging schools. I guess my main point here is to apply to a few schools and to DREAM just a bit. I worked incredibly hard and wrote and rewrote and rewrote, I was filled with self doubt but it eventually paid off. I have to give thanks as well to Lisa at Stacy Blackman Consulting who guided me and DID believe in me. With that bit of support I applied to a set of five schools and was aditted to three. My end tally surprised me: yes from Stanford, UCLA, Michigan and no from Haas and Kellogg. I think I am an example of:
- it does not all make that much sense
- apply to a range of schools
- listen to your gutt as much as you listen to the statictics
- it does not all make that much sense :)

good luck to all!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is there a particular reason that schools seem to accept so much higher of a % of part-time MBA applications than they do full-time? I was looking at the USNews rankings for NYU, and their profile says about 50% get accepted part-time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATLA wrote:
Part-time programs are easier to get into. This is because part time MBA school's pull from a much smaller geographical area. Since most part-time MBA schools expect you to be fully employed while attending, you must live within a reasonable commute. Some top part time schools such as UCLA and HAAS have weeknight and weekend programs that allow students to commute from long distances. Many students commute on the weekends from San Fran, Seattle, Nevada, Arizona, etc... UCLA also just inserted a new "Flex" program which offers a even more flexible part time mba that you could probably do from anywhere in the country. But I'd say 80%+ students live within 60-100 miles of part time campuses.

Some part time programs don't offer the same career services or recruiting opportunities as the full time programs and often times it is harder to network b/c everyone is much busier. For example, NYU will not let their part time students go through recruiting with the full time students. This is why they aren't ranked as high as UCLA and HAAS in part time rankings. Right now, HAAS is #1 with UCLA at #2.

If you are ok with a part time program, this may be a good option for you, but in fact these schools are still quite challenging to get into, but less than full time. If you plan on working full time during school, this can be a great way to continue to make an income and attain an MBA. UCLA's program can be completed in as little as 27 months, with average being around 33-36 and a maximum of 5 years allowed.

I sincerely appreciate your help, and I guess I was way ahead of myself before. I did plan on working while attaining my MBA. I am very open to moving/transferring within my company to attend a good part-time MBA program too. I wonder if that is possible from the admissions standpoint?

One last question: are online MBA programs becoming less looked down upon than they once were? For example, I see UNC has an online program now. They were ranked in the top 25 for full-time MBA. Do these rankings carry over at all in cases like these? I was also looking at Northeastern, which offers an online dual degree MBA/MS Finance. Their full-time program is ranked around 50.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ugh...I just typed a super-thorough response, and it got deleted because I posted a link (not a member for 5 days so it gave me an error).

Let me try this again but it might be more blunt.

Thank you again for all of your help and guidance. I have taken a few days to re-evaluate what I want. I have an end-goal but there are still many question marks on getting there.

I want to move up within my company to become an investing banking associate (MBA required) in a front-office role. Right now, I am a securities analyst in a back-office role. Just started my position this month, and I can't apply for a new one for at least a year. The type of position I would be looking for is located in: NYC, LA, and SF). Also, any front-office or middle-office analyst role (which I would really like to do while in business school because it relates more to the end-goal associate position) would be located in these cities. I live in the DC/Bmore area.

Here's the catch: I don't know where I will be accepted, and I can't apply for jobs until next March. I think I have to get lucky here. I need to land a job in the city I am accepted in to school for in a short window of time. I'm assuming the semesters usually start in August or September, which gives me 4+ months to find at least a lateral job change at my company in a new city. Ideally, it would be at one of those analyst roles I talked about.

One alternative is staying in this location for the next 3 years or so and go to school locally. I'd really prefer not to do this because I have been itching to get out of the area. I'm not shutting this down totally though.

The second alternative is an online MBA. I am very concerned with how these will be looked at by employers though. I have heard people bad mouth them quite a bit but the flexibility would allow me to stay at my job and move anywhere that I find a new analyst job next year. ANY opinions, experiences, insights, or publications that you can show me on these would be very helpful.

I know I am reaching here but the part-time schools I am looking at are:

NYC: NYU (56% acceptance rate)
LA: UCLA (58%), USC (77%)
SF: Berkeley (44%)
DC: UMD (83%), Georgetown (59%)
Online: UNC, Northeastern

Any other schools in or near my range? Any advice or comments? I'm open to just about anything right now. Thank you again so much.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
corneytines wrote:
While it is important to set expectations and apply to realistic schools, I know from my own experience that you do not want to be too safe or "realistic"! I think it is important to apply to the schools of your dreams and I am glad I did because I was admitted (though not admitted to lower ranked programs). I spoke with a lot of professionals (consultants) who discouraged me, spoke with professionals who smirked a bit, spoke with friends who looked at me with surprise...when I said I wanted to go to Stanford. My numbers were not the highest and my profesisonal path has been irregular to say the least. If I relied purely on statistics, averages and professionals weighing in, I would not have applied to my top choices, or probably to some of my back-ups. Even my parents were concerned and suggested that I apply to some less challenging schools. I guess my main point here is to apply to a few schools and to DREAM just a bit. I worked incredibly hard and wrote and rewrote and rewrote, I was filled with self doubt but it eventually paid off. I have to give thanks as well to Lisa at Stacy Blackman Consulting who guided me and DID believe in me. With that bit of support I applied to a set of five schools and was aditted to three. My end tally surprised me: yes from Stanford, UCLA, Michigan and no from Haas and Kellogg. I think I am an example of:
- it does not all make that much sense
- apply to a range of schools
- listen to your gutt as much as you listen to the statictics
- it does not all make that much sense :)

good luck to all!

Thanks, that is very encouraging. If you don't mind, would you mind giving me a rundown of your qualifications upon application?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATLA, you have really helped me a lot. Do you have anything add after my previous post? I made a spreadsheet on Google Docs I wanted to share but I still can't post any links...
GMAT Club Bot