Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: Please somebody HELP!! I need to go from 600-->730 [#permalink]
Welcome to gmatclub PurposeDriven!

I think with your plan you can achieve your goal. Good luck and keep us update about your journey!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Hi purpose, its great to see a moitvated intial post from your side. In my opinion your plan is quite good & with this plan you can definitely reach your dream score.

My input in red below. Also do go through this link

should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

PurposeDriven wrote:
First I will say I am new to this website and I am excited that I found it. I can't wait to get to know the members here.

I am aiming to have a success story like Hemantsood (570-->760). Here is the deal I recently gave the GMAT on 6/23/2010 I scored a mere 600 (V34 Q: 39) I was devastated I didn't even want to hear the words GMAT ever again let alone retake it! I plan to apply for a PhD in Business (Marketing-Consumer Behavior emphasis). But after extensive research on Marketing PhD programs I found that in order to get into any of the programs I was most interested in I must retake the dreaded GMAT.

So here I am pushing 3 months later (I have not even looked at a GMAT book since then) and I need to retake it. I feel that I am starting over. Here is a little overview of my first attempt: I took a Kaplan course in classroom and I attended every class and paid close attention. However for the first 3 weeks of the 9 week course my online material was not available (apparently system glitch) so I was behind with taking the CATs as well as important study material I was missing although I did eventually catch up I don't feel that it was as effective as it could have been... I must admit I did not put enough time in self study outside of class until about 3 weeks before the test (By then it was too late) So there are a ton of things I feel I could have done differently. I cannot afford to retake the class (they do offer a free retake but within 30 days of the class ending so I am too late.)

So this time I purchased the 8 MGMAT strategy guides and I already have the OG 12. I have exactly 11 weeks before I have to take the test (Duke is one of the schools I am applying to and their deadline is Dec. 8 which is my earliest deadline, so I want to take it by Dec. 1-the PhD coordinator confirmed that it is ok if my official score is not there by the deadline.) I plan to go through one MGMAT strategy book a week (order: Number properties, Word translation, geometry, Equalities inequalities & VICs, Fractions decimals & percents, reading comprehension, critical reasoning, and lastly sentence correction). I will take a practice CAT at the end of each week (6 come with the guides, 2 GMATPrep, and some from GMAT Club) in the last three weeks I will review math one week, then verbal the next week, and in the last week I will review strategy. I also plan on using an error log to efficiently target my problem areas. I am aiming for somewhere in the 700's preferably 730 or 740 or 750 I just want to be competitive. :)

So my questions are:
1) Is this a good study plan?- Quite ok for me.
2) Is the order I plan to use the MGMAT books in a good order, is that strategy even using them properly? - I opted for the order of the books. Keep it simple.
3) With the period of time I have how many hours should I study per day (I have a very flexible schedule)? -depends on your personal schedules but dont be involved so much that your mind start to burn.
4) Is this goal realistic (600-730 in 11 weeks)? Yesss!!!! Very much realistic.
5) Any suggestions, advice, comments, words of inspiration etc. are greatly appreciated. My brother once said, "Before any task, whisper to yourself, I Can, I Will". Same applies to you.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and any information you can offer.

Best of luck & keep us posted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management and Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Send PM
Nice plan ...keep us updated........:D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
I agree with what Hussain says. You just need to stay determined and focused on the task at hand. I'm sure it's achievable. Good luck to you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Nice plan. good luck. keep us updated.
GMAT Club Bot