Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
NoggieViking wrote:
...the ones I remember are MCE17 and AiAsia. I wish you all the best of luck.

No news either way today. Hopefully some good news friday!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.89
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Does anyone know approximately what percentage of applicants that are invited to an interview get accepted?

businessweek.com states that CBS interviews 26% and accepts 16% which is roughly 60% acceptance rate for those interviewed.

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... umbia.html

I am curious to know if someone has any other information on this or saw another stat somewhere else.

I recently went complete with CBS and have a RD1 app in for Tuck but don't really want to start working on any other apps on account of my overarching desire to go to CBS. Just trying to figure out if it is worth waiting or if I should get back to work on other apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Got call from Mary Miller today! Been waiting for a whole month since interview completed, and finally relieved..
Wish all the people waiting luck! Just hang in there!

Timeline:
Submit: 9.21
Interview invite: 9.28
Interview: 10.17
Interview complete: 10.18
Second Interview by phone: 11.16
Accepted:11.17
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
speedkk wrote:
Got call from Mary Miller today! Been waiting for a whole month since interview completed, and finally relieved..

Timeline:

Great speedkk!! Congratulations!!... What was the second interview about? Didn't know there was a second interview...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
waitingforananswer wrote:
speedkk wrote:

Timeline:

Great speedkk!! Congratulations!!... What was the second interview about? Didn't know there was a second interview...

I am interested in healthcare management program, received the phone call request last week through email by director of healthcare management and made the phone call appt for yesterday. In the phone interview, He asked me about my career goals on healthcare in details and also why columbia, why now. Because my first interviewer is from a non-health care background, and I probably did not articulate on my career aspiration in my first interview. I guess adcom just try to make sure I have a sound career plan. Luckily I got the second chance to defend myself. I believe adcom really consider thoroughly of everyone's candidacy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jcswinterpark wrote:
Does anyone know approximately what percentage of applicants that are invited to an interview get accepted?

businessweek.com states that CBS interviews 26% and accepts 16% which is roughly 60% acceptance rate for those interviewed.

I am curious to know if someone has any other information on this or saw another stat somewhere else.

I recently went complete with CBS and have a RD1 app in for Tuck but don't really want to start working on any other apps on account of my overarching desire to go to CBS. Just trying to figure out if it is worth waiting or if I should get back to work on other apps.

I'm not sure where business week gets those numbers. From the "research" (googeling) that I've personally done, I've seen a variety of different numbers...Business week says 27%, some say 50%, others say the data doesn't exist. CBS and Wharton seem to interview a larger portion of applicants then admits less than half, while HBS tends to invite very few people then admits most. This article is old(er) and the data is before Mary Miller was in charge so things could have changed - but who knows? https://blog.clearadmit.com/2006/11/admi ... processes/

The only thing that I've taken from it is don't get too comfortable just because you are invited to an interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
americanInAsia wrote:
jcswinterpark wrote:

I'm not sure where business week gets those numbers. From the "research" (googeling) that I've personally done, I've seen a variety of different numbers...Business week says 27%, some say 50%, others say the data doesn't exist. CBS and Wharton seem to interview a larger portion of applicants then admits less than half, while HBS tends to invite very few people then admits most. This article is old(er) and the data is before Mary Miller was in charge so things could have changed - but who knows? https://blog.clearadmit.com/2006/11/admi ... processes/

The only thing that I've taken from it is don't get too comfortable just because you are invited to an interview.

Thanks for finding that article from ClearAdmit. While I want to believe that Columbia invites a smaller sampling to interview than the ClearAdmit article suggests, I realize that there is no way to know for sure.

Best of luck with CBS. I know you have been waiting for a while!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys,

I finished my interview last night and my Ambassador actually supplied me with the statistic: around 27% of applicants get invited to interview. The data point was part of the information package that she got when I confirmed the interview. The only problem is that we do not know if this varies across J-Term, ED and RD.

Best of luck to those of you waiting on a decision and on interview invitations!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
jwl wrote:
Hi guys,

I finished my interview last night and my Ambassador actually supplied me with the statistic: around 27% of applicants get invited to interview. The data point was part of the information package that she got when I confirmed the interview. The only problem is that we do not know if this varies across J-Term, ED and RD.

Best of luck to those of you waiting on a decision and on interview invitations!

Wow. Thanks for the statistic. Just curious - did your interviewer just tell you that or did you ask?

The percentage seems more in line with other top schools. MIT interviews less than 30%, as does Harvard. Interviewing 50% of the applicants would translate into more than 3,000 interviews.

Good luck. You and I are in the waiting game now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
jwl wrote:
Hi guys,

I got the same numbers from my interviewer. He said about 25-30% of applicants only get interview, so "it's a big deal, congratulations".
He also said that from his experience at this stage, it will take about 2-3 weeks at least to hear back.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
jcswinterpark wrote:
jwl wrote:
Hi guys,

Wow. Thanks for the statistic. Just curious - did your interviewer just tell you that or did you ask?

The percentage seems more in line with other top schools. MIT interviews less than 30%, as does Harvard. Interviewing 50% of the applicants would translate into more than 3,000 interviews.

Good luck. You and I are in the waiting game now.

She offered the information as part of a congratulations for making it to the interview stage.

Waiting game indeed! I don't really expect to hear back until December, since I still haven't gone 'complete' yet and there is American Thanksgiving next week.

Truthfully, I am eager to hear back because I don't want to start my R2 applications...it would be hard to explain "Why X school" when I am still harbouring hopes for a CBS admission =)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
jwl wrote:
Hi guys,

great, thank you for the information! Feel a little better now.

going to bed....no call or email...yet haha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.33
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
FYI to all Regular Decision Applications: I spoke to the admissions office today, and they stated that they began to review regular decision applications yesterday. Hopefully we'll start noticing some updates in our statuses within the next 2 weeks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Ding w/o int! 3:38 EST. Best of luck to all going forward!! All my eggs for Rd 1 are in the Booth basket now...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just got an invite after 7 weeks! Please do not lose hope - I think they just take longer to review the apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.51
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Do you guys think the timing of interview matters? My preferred interviewer contacted me back with the proposed date on Dec 5th, which is more than two weeks from now, and the other local alumni (he got his master in my Alma mater) also contacted me today offering an interview next Monday. I am concerned that Adcom may defer my decision due to the timing if I choose to interview in Dec....What do you guys think?

Many Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
KPrizzle wrote:
FYI to all Regular Decision Applications: I spoke to the admissions office today, and they stated that they began to review regular decision applications yesterday. Hopefully we'll start noticing some updates in our statuses within the next 2 weeks.

wow - starting to get nervous / anxious...hopefully i can hear back before second rounds are due
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  111   112   113   114   115  ...  171   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts