Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Getting to the next level at 600+ Q questions [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi asanchezb,

Many Test Takers focus on the 'implied level' of the questions that they're working on, instead of more relevant issues - such as WHY they're getting questions wrong. Based on your last CAT score, you have the opportunity to pick up points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections, so it would likely help you a great deal to define why you got those questions wrong on your last CAT.

Have you had a chance to review this CAT? In each section, how many questions did you get wrong because...
1) of a silly/little mistake?
2) the question was too hard?
3) you narrowed the answers down to 2 choices and 'guessed wrong'?
4) you were low on time and had to blindly guess?

Once you have answered those questions, you'll be in a better position to deal with whatever is keeping your from scoring higher - and then make the necessary adjustments to earn those points.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich, thanks for the answer.

I took another mock two days ago, and got another 640. However, this time my quant score went down from 42 to 38, and my verbal score went up from 35 to 38.

On quant, I answered 19 questions wrong. Almost half of them were because some kind of concentration lapse, I misread something, or some error of that kind; they were not hard questions. The other half were questions I found hard. In this category I am particularly struggling with absolute values, inequalities and number properties.

Thanks!
Andres

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Andres,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few Scaled Points).

Given what you described about your wrong answers on this CAT, one of your bigger 'issues' is silly/little mistakes and not the 'level' of the questions. The 'fix' for this type of issue is almost always in the note-taking process (you need to consistently take notes on the pad - and NOT do work 'in your head'). If you could make this adjustment, then you could conceivably score a lot higher relatively quickly.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Andres,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few Scaled Points).

Given what you described about your wrong answers on this CAT, one of your bigger 'issues' is silly/little mistakes and not the 'level' of the questions. The 'fix' for this type of issue is almost always in the note-taking process (you need to consistently take notes on the pad - and NOT do work 'in your head'). If you could make this adjustment, then you could conceivably score a lot higher relatively quickly.

Rich

Many thanks for the advice, Rich. It is very helpful. I will look into my note-taking process and try improve it, and I will try to find some information about better note-taking procedures. Regarding the questions I do considered as hard, is it a matter of keep practicing or going back to the theory?

Kind regards,
Andrés
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Andres,

Until you've 'fixed' the other issues that are costing you points, the "hard" questions aren't really worth your time. That having been said, just because you think a question is 'hard' doesn't necessarily mean that it is - you might just be taking an approach to it that is inefficient or 'math heavy.' This is meant to say that most GMAT questions can be solved in more than one way, so learning Tactics and the common patterns that are tested on the GMAT would likely help you deal with ALL questions (including the 'hard' ones). I would suggest that you search for those prompts in the Forums here (and if you don't find them, then you should post the questions yourself) - the responses that you receive will likely help you to consider all of those questions in a new, easier way.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Supriyaa,

Did you have any follow-up questions on what was discussed in this thread? If you'd prefer, you can feel free to PM or email me directly.

Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Supriyaa wrote:

Hi Supriyaa,

Feel free to reach out in case you have any questions regarding the discussion in this thread.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM