Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Problems on the actual gmat [#permalink]
Hi,

Thank you for responding to my query. Here are the answers

1) All three attempts came in the last 3 months. Wrote the latest attempt on 4th December.
2) I've been preparing for Gmat for over an year now.
3) I've taken courses from magoosh(full course) and egmat(verbal only). Also, I had approached a local gmat prep firm a couple of months back. I've been working with them on my verbal for 2 months. Also, I've referred to OG 2018 and OG verbal 2019.
4) I had written the first two official mock tests more than once. But when I found that writing the same mock again results in an inflated score, I purchased official mock 3&4. Scored 710 on both (Q50 v34 and Q50 v35)
5) My target score is 720.
6) I'm applying for Mba 2019.
7) Indian school of business, NuS Singapore, hec paris are my primary targets.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I always seem to bog down under time pressure. Also, after getting initial questions right gmat asks such hard questions that I don't have answers to. I need to spend more time to get those questions right. Can not trying to get every question right be the answer? How about after initial 10 questions, I try randomly mark answers for tough questions per every 3-4 questions? Will that work?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hrusheekesh,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 3 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 650 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. If all 3 of your Official Scores are from the last 3 months, then it's possible that you have gotten 'stuck' at this score level - so continuing to study in the same ways as before (with the same study materials as before - will likely NOT get you to your Score Goal.

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) What are the exact application deadlines for each of the Programs that you plan to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hrusheekesh,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 3 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 650 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. If all 3 of your Official Scores are from the last 3 months, then it's possible that you have gotten 'stuck' at this score level - so continuing to study in the same ways as before (with the same study materials as before - will likely NOT get you to your Score Goal.

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) What are the exact application deadlines for each of the Programs that you plan to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hi,

I'm planning to write another attempt in another 20 days.
I'm looking at deadlines towards end of December and mostly January.
I'll be able to devote at least 15 hours per week.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
HrusheekeshJoshi wrote:
I always seem to bog down under time pressure. Also, after getting initial questions right gmat asks such hard questions that I don't have answers to. I need to spend more time to get those questions right. Can not trying to get every question right be the answer? How about after initial 10 questions, I try randomly mark answers for tough questions per every 3-4 questions? Will that work?
You don't need to get every question correct. Trying to get every question correct could lead to a situation where you have very little time left for the questions at the end.

Will the following approach work?

- Make sure I get first few easy-medium questions right. Doing so will take me to medium-high difficulty level questions (the type of questions where my struggle begins and I begin to lose steam).

As I start seeing medium-high difficulty questions, follow this

- See if I can solve the question. If yes then go ahead and solve it.
- If I see a hard question, a question I won't be able to solve within 2-2.5 minutes, I mark the answer in 15-20 seconds and move on.

The big idea is being selective on medium-high or high difficulty questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
HrusheekeshJoshi
please check video in below link for pacing strategy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWrUiBT83PQ
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hrusheekesh,

Based on the 'swings' in your Official Verbal Scaled Scores, it's likely that you are "narrowing the answers down to 2 choices and then 'guessing'" far too often. Thus, while dumping a few hard questions might help you to score higher in the Verbal section, that choice does nothing to improve how you will handle all of the other Verbal questions that you will fully-attempt to solve. You could potentially improve your Verbal skills in the next 2-3 weeks, but you will have to focus on learning and practicing the proper Tactics.

1) What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with a typical RC, SC and CR prompt?

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
HrusheekeshJoshi wrote:

- Make sure I get first few easy-medium questions right. Doing so will take me to medium-high difficulty level questions (the type of questions where my struggle begins and I begin to lose steam).

- If I see a hard question, a question I won't be able to solve within 2-2.5 minutes, I mark the answer in 15-20 seconds and move on.

I like the last bit, but there are a few small problems with the initial points. Firstly, test takers are usually not very good at identifying the difficulty level of a question. What looks easy to you could be considered a tough question by the exam. Secondly, all of this is going to take time and mental energy away from what you actually should be doing: solving questions.

Don't underestimate this second point. You will already be trying to minimize the impact that exam pressure and time management have on your ability to solve questions correctly. Don't add analyzing question difficulty to all the things that you need to manage. Instead, just guess whenever you find yourself behind on time. You can find one possible time management strategy here.

To summarize:
1. The "first few" questions are not so critical that you must get all of them correct at any cost.
2. Don't worry about whether a question is easy/medium/hard (see point 3)
3. Unless you are behind on time and need to guess. Then you should guess your way through questions that look tough.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Problems on the actual gmat [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hrusheekesh,

Based on the 'swings' in your Official Verbal Scaled Scores, it's likely that you are "narrowing the answers down to 2 choices and then 'guessing'" far too often. Thus, while dumping a few hard questions might help you to score higher in the Verbal section, that choice does nothing to improve how you will handle all of the other Verbal questions that you will fully-attempt to solve. You could potentially improve your Verbal skills in the next 2-3 weeks, but you will have to focus on learning and practicing the proper Tactics.

1) What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with a typical RC, SC and CR prompt?

Rich

On SC, I first read and understand the prompt. While reading at times I identify obvious errors in the prompt. Then I look at all the answer options. Using vertical splits, I try to eliminate the wrong answers and then arrive at the right answer. If I'm stuck between two options many times concision, meaning play a big part in eliminating one answer choice.

On CR, I first read the question. Then I read and understand the prompt. After that I think of an answer that I'm looking for (pre-think on the type of answer I'm looking for). Then through POE I arrive at the answer.

RC is a bit tricky. I've tried couple of techniques like reading thoroughly, skimming etc without a lot of success. In any of these techniques I struggle quite a bit on time management. Eating up more time on RC puts pressure on my CR and SC. I feel RC is the area where I can gain the most. Can you please suggest a balanced approach? Because with reading thoroughly I answer general questions pretty well but not specific questions. Through skimming and going back to relevant parts of the passage, I do well on detail questions but not general questions. A strategy that balances both these can do a world of good. Please advise.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hrusheekesh,

From what you describe about your approach to the Verbal section, you are essentially 'winging it' through most of the prompts - and it will be difficult for you to score 720+ if you continue to work in this way. The Verbal section of the GMAT is based on a lot of patterns - thus, it's as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is. To hit your Goal Score, you're going to have to retrain to handle the entire Verbal section. Thankfully, you already have a lot of experience, but you may have developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits'). If you're a flexible-enough thinker, then you could potentially make those changes in the time that you have, but it will take some significant effort on your part - and you'll have to work with some new study materials. If you're interested in a specific Study Plan, then I'll be happy to offer you one.

Rich
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi HrusheekeshJoshi,

The following articles will help you answer all your Timing and GMAT related questions:

Hope this helps! Please feel free to write to us at support@e-gmat.com in case of any further queries. We would be happy to help.

Regards,
Aditee
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hrusheekesh,

I’m sorry to hear how things have been going with your GMAT. Based on your recent practice exam scores and your GMAT scores, you were able to score as high as V35 on your practice exams and V34 on your actual GMAT. So, I think the larger issue is not why your GMAT scores are falling, but rather why you aren’t able to break a V35 (in practice tests or the real thing), right? That score isn’t attributable to the GMAC algorithm; the issue is that you have some gaps in your verbal knowledge that must be addressed to improve your verbal score. If you’d like any advice on how to improve those skills, please reach back out, and I’ll be happy to provide some detailed advice. You also may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi HrusheekeshJoshi,

The following articles will help you answer all your Timing and GMAT related questions:

Hope this helps! Please feel free to write to us at support@e-gmat.com in case of any further queries. We would be happy to help.

Regards,
Aditee

These are really useful articles. Thank you for sharing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Hrusheekesh,

I’m sorry to hear how things have been going with your GMAT. Based on your recent practice exam scores and your GMAT scores, you were able to score as high as V35 on your practice exams and V34 on your actual GMAT. So, I think the larger issue is not why your GMAT scores are falling, but rather why you aren’t able to break a V35 (in practice tests or the real thing), right? That score isn’t attributable to the GMAC algorithm; the issue is that you have some gaps in your verbal knowledge that must be addressed to improve your verbal score. If you’d like any advice on how to improve those skills, please reach back out, and I’ll be happy to provide some detailed advice. You also may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Hi Scott,

Thank you for responding to my query. I've scored 40+ on a couple of gmatclub verbal tests. I've also scored 35+ a few times on manhattan mocks, which are considered tougher than gmat.
On gmat content, I'm quite comfortable on the hard questions from OG. All this makes me believe that some factor other than gmat content is pulling my scores down. Please suggest if there might be other factors than issues with timing and algorithm.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hrusheekesh,

From what you describe about your approach to the Verbal section, you are essentially 'winging it' through most of the prompts - and it will be difficult for you to score 720+ if you continue to work in this way. The Verbal section of the GMAT is based on a lot of patterns - thus, it's as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is. To hit your Goal Score, you're going to have to retrain to handle the entire Verbal section. Thankfully, you already have a lot of experience, but you may have developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits'). If you're a flexible-enough thinker, then you could potentially make those changes in the time that you have, but it will take some significant effort on your part - and you'll have to work with some new study materials. If you're interested in a specific Study Plan, then I'll be happy to offer you one.

Rich

Hi Rich,

What changes do I have to make? Can you please share those details? Also, please suggest a study plan that fits my case.

Hrusheekesh
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bismarck wrote:
HrusheekeshJoshi
please check video in below link for pacing strategy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWrUiBT83PQ

Thank you for sharing the link. I had gone through this video before. But couldn't execute the instructions fully on the test. I guess I need to take couple of mocks using this approach.

Hrusheekesh
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
HrusheekeshJoshi wrote:

I like the last bit, but there are a few small problems with the initial points. Firstly, test takers are usually not very good at identifying the difficulty level of a question. What looks easy to you could be considered a tough question by the exam. Secondly, all of this is going to take time and mental energy away from what you actually should be doing: solving questions.

Don't underestimate this second point. You will already be trying to minimize the impact that exam pressure and time management have on your ability to solve questions correctly. Don't add analyzing question difficulty to all the things that you need to manage. Instead, just guess whenever you find yourself behind on time. You can find one possible time management strategy here.

To summarize:
1. The "first few" questions are not so critical that you must get all of them correct at any cost.
2. Don't worry about whether a question is easy/medium/hard (see point 3)
3. Unless you are behind on time and need to guess. Then you should guess your way through questions that look tough.

Hi Ajitesh,

Your article was useful. Thanks for sharing. I'll use this approach in upcoming mocks and will let you know how it worked.

Hrusheekesh
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2