Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Proficient in 2nd Language for INSEAD [#permalink]
trahul4 wrote:
I think its quite achievable to be proficient ibn any language within a year. You need to put in lot of effort and practice. Why dont you join a class or take some formal training ?

yes if you have the time, but if you are working full time and not exposed to the language on a daily basis, it becomes very difficult.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,
If time is lacking you could try an immersion program: https://www.thunderbird.edu/prospective_ ... /index.htm such a program promises results in a very short period. (but may leave a smoking crater where your mind once resided)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
From what I understand they don't expect you to be fluent in a second language (very few people are).

They expect you to be competent, so "hello how are you", "im fine thanks", "lets do the business deal, how much" etc.

And basic in a 3rd language means "hello", "bye", etc.

Not hard at all.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
StartupAddict wrote:
They expect you to be competent, so "hello how are you", "im fine thanks", "lets do the business deal, how much" etc.

Not hard at all.

That would be comforting. I just downloaded their language requirement brochure to see what exactly would be expected. Hopefully it is something I can manage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
StartupAddict wrote:
From what I understand they don't expect you to be fluent in a second language (very few people are).

Not hard at all.

I don't think it's all that simple, athough you may come close.
For most languages, you have to pass both a writtten as well as an oral test. I believe the pass mark is 50 out of 100, but don't quote me on it. The details are rather clear in Insead's "language policy".
Current Student
Send PM
I considered applying to INSEAD. As far as i can see,
I have a 'Practical' level of a second language they need.. in Japanese that means JLPT level 3, something which i have already passed.

What this means (in terms of Japanese), is conversational level.
So you can do day to day activities, talk with colleagues and actually have a conversation with them. e.g what you did last night, etc. " I watched Tv last night, and there was this really funny show on, this guy did this and that and fell over etc."

as in indication... JLPT has 4 levels :-
Level 4 - Basic level - say hello, goodbye, talk about the weather, order food, read menus etc.
Level 3 - Conversational - talk about hobbies, discuss days events, understand the basic humour
Level 2 - Business - Conduct negotiations, discuss and talk about technical and business topics
Level 1 - Fluent - Can talk and read about politics and any other topic etc.

Basic level is already ok for me in terms of speaking, as i speak chinese as well.

I didn't apply to INSEAD because a 10 month course seems far too intensive for me, especially with 1 kid, and a second on the way.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
You should be fluent in the 2nd language. If you are a native English speaker, then try for French and take one of the DELF exams to get certified (I dont think it has an oral exam, but I could be wrong). For the exit requirement, you have to get certified at a basic level and have upto 1 year after graduation to fulfil this requirements. There are 6 month language courses offered on campus which can get you certified in any language by making you meet the basic level through tests offered at INSEAD. So, you could pick like spanish, german, etc.
Let me know if any questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
StartupAddict wrote:

I do not agree with that, especially what is in bold.

In mainland Europe it's becoming more and more common for people to speak English and/or another language. Many (if not most) undergrads do an exchange programme as part of their degrees nowadays. That is compulsory at many universities.

As for Asia, I cannot think of applicants who could only speak English.

There is only a minority of Insead students whose native language is English (I saw a stat about this some time ago, maybe in their brochure). I'm sure that Adcom love Americans, Brits or Aussies fluent in other languages.

Note 1: French is NOT mandatory.

Note 2: Adcom strongly advises to be proficient in languages before the MBA start, you'll be too busy to do that during the MBA (80% of a 2 year programme is covered in 10 months).
GMAT Club Bot