Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mbit wrote:
You run your own business. Will that appeal to them or not?

I hope so :) These are my (rough) thoughts:

I am a financial advisor for Northwestern Mutual. I file as a sole-proprietor, but technically I am a statutory employee. My appeal to admissions will be that I get the best of both worlds with this set up: entrepreneurship with enough corporate structure to develop substantial leadership skills. As a sole-proprietor, I have learned to run a business, meaning, with no base-salary, I hire/fire/manage my own employees with my own business revenue, manage and acquire my own clients, etc. I also started my business in a city in which I had no natural market and minimal industry experience. Within the corporate setting, I have developed leadership skills by working with directors, partners, execs to mentor and recruit young advisors. By the time I apply to bschool, I will also be managing my own team of advisors as well.

What do you want to do with your MBA? What are your goals?

I love the impact that I can have on the lives of my clients as a financial planner. However, it is relatively localized impact, meaning I help my clients and their families, but I don't have the ability to help a larger community or populations - at very least my, scope is limited. My dream is to start an impact investment firm, charitable giving foundation (venture philanthropy). I want to invest in companies/people (ideally small companies) that are looking to make a positive change (social progress, scientific progress, etc.) I see this as a way to expand on the skills I have been developing over the past 8 years and expand my scope of positive impact - if you will.

Why Stanford?

Not necessarily in order of importance:
- Focus on entrepreneurship
- They send a high(er) percentage of graduates into venture capital than almost any other school - this would be essential considering my goals. I'm guessing I need industry experience before heading out to start my own firm :)
- They have great opportunities to develop leadership skills (I found at least one extensive fellowship)
- Location: great place to develop relationships since I am looking to invest in start-ups and companies looking to make social/scientific impact.
- Smaller student-body - I grew up in a small town, went to college in a small town at a small school: I like that environment. I enjoy knowing the people in my cohort and building relationships with professors.
- This is a bit more esoteric and not something I would put in my "why stanford" essay necessarily - I like the focus "who is applicant" versus "what has the applicant achieved." Coming from a small town and modest means, I used to think my goal was to make a lot of money. Now, I obviously want to make enough to take care of my family and give back to the community, but my motives have changed (see above). I don't want to be in a hyper-cut throat environment where the end goal is to be a CEO of a major company. Obviously, that is not a 100% accurate depiction of other top schools or their student-bodies! However, the sense that I get in my research is: Stanford has a more cooperative atmosphere than other top schools.

Obviously getting that GMAT score is the base - and for Stanford especially the higher the better (we are talking 740+).

Yup, yup! No surprise here!

Again, with no GMAT score yet, there is only so much advice you can offer. But those are the answers to your questions!

Hey dude!
Good to hear back from you with all this immense detail. I love the enthusiasm! Keep it up, even in the face of adversity an it will happen!

Stanford... I'll be honest with you.. it's gonna be tough. Going from financial planning to VC is not usually something that happens. Usually it's either these dudes that are just "incubation geniuses" and know enough about the tech and trends to make the right stuff happen, or it's people with very solid tech backgrounds (which is why it is happening at Stanford). And as far as your story goes (i.e. your ability to land a VC job post-grad) I'm not sure I would be convinced if I was Stanford. And you have done it before, whereas there will be applicants who have.

Now for impact investing, the place you wanna look at is Columbia.Obviously all the other top notch east coast schools make sense too, and actually given your more "Finance proper" background the schools like Columbia, Johnson, Booth, NYU, MIT, HBS that are the finance heavy hitters make more sense here from what you have written than those West Coast schools.

Sooo, to say that the competition is real tough. Now, if you have the right GMAT score can it happen? It's possible. If you tell your story the right way, and if it makes sense, and jives with Stanford as an entity.

At the same time I think you should expand your horizons beyond a single school. Start researching other appealing destinations, all while studying for that GMAT. Look into who hires where. Attend events. It's fun!

And it is only the beginning!

Best of luck on your GMAT, dude!!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This is incredibly helpful. My interpretation of an ideal applicant for a top school was someone who has been successful in many areas and developed good leadership skills. I thought less emphasis would be put on an applicant's current experience in the field they want to get into post-MBA. Obviously, I recognized that there would need to be some reason - explained in the essays - for wanting a change in career-path.

My thought was a school wants high aptitude (GMAT), good vision (essays) and history of success (resume). The school - through the ciriculum - would prepare you for a specific field. What I'm hearing you say, however, is that it is a substantial disadvantge not to have experience in your desired, future field pre-MBA. Or, if you don't have experience - as I don't - you better throw down a great GMAT score to be competitive!

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
mbit wrote:
This is incredibly helpful. My interpretation of an ideal applicant for a top school was someone who has been successful in many areas and developed good leadership skills. I thought less emphasis would be put on an applicant's current experience in the field they want to get into post-MBA. Obviously, I recognized that there would need to be some reason - explained in the essays - for wanting a change in career-path.

My thought was a school wants high aptitude (GMAT), good vision (essays) and history of success (resume). The school - through the ciriculum - would prepare you for a specific field. What I'm hearing you say, however, is that it is a substantial disadvantge not to have experience in your desired, future field pre-MBA. Or, if you don't have experience - as I don't - you better throw down a great GMAT score to be competitive!

Posted from my mobile device

Well it's also more than that. Coming from a practical sense:
Schools know that VC positions are rare. They also know that everyone wants them. If you want a VC post and can;t justify it, you are only showing that you haven't done your research. (and the same goes for any unfounded or irrealistic goals... like moving from IT coding to Investment Banking. If I were a recruiter I wouldn't look at it either.

Secondly, success is one thing. And all schools like it. But fit is a second. Each school has its own niches, characteristics, etc... and they expect also that you have done the research. I mean don't sweat it if you don't know about it yet! That's why you have the next 8 months! And we can help. And so will the Internet! :)

Best
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts