Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IESE '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IESE '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - How to Compensate For a Lower Gmat Quant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
christian1904 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hello there!
Thanks for wrriting.

So let me start off by writing that the best way to "compensate" is to simply retake and get a better score. Which is not necessarily necessary in your case, because your GMAT is fine for the schools you are applying to. (although of course you might have better options if you were to score higher). One thing to take into consideration is your post-MBA goals. As you know probably, Consulting is one of those industries which WILL look at your GMAT. Sooo, ultimately if you feel like you can do much better, it's probably not a bad thing to do.

And finally, since you are applying in two years, well.... there's really no reason for you to NOT retake!

Otherwise things look gooooooood. Your work experience is international, and interesting... and your grades are very good. Juuust get that GMAT a bit higher.
:)

Best,
JF

Hi Jon,

thanks a lot for the quick answer! Very interesting to read your thoughts and I'm happy to see you have a good overall impression!

Regarding the re-take: this is actually exactly my problem. I DONT feel like I could really do better in a re-take, except for if I invest a very big amount of time in it; and even then the outcome isn't guaranteed to be better than before. These quant problems in GMAT dont "just come easy for me" like for others, I need to invest more time to understand the concepts and have more difficulties spotting them again and coming up with the right way to solve them, whereas verbal is something I can do without studying based on my feeling for languages. BTW I dont think at all that this could be a limitation for my consulting endeavors, as I believe the kind of finance needed to run and analyze a business (Finance, Accounting) is very different from this.
I have already only studied quant in my preparation and the actual test's score is better than all my test attempts:

TOTAL Q V
Gmat prep 1 570 36 33
Mgmat 1 620 37 37
Mgmat 2 (just Q) 38
Mgmat 3 (just Q) 32
Mgmat 4 600 44 30
Gmat prep 2 660 43 38
Mgmat 5 640 40 37
Mgmat 6 620 40 35
Real thing 680 45 38

I just feel like diving into preparation and taking the test again with the goal to score higher in Q could turn out being a huge waste of time for me - time, that I could be using more effectively on other things.

Do you think it could be helpful to take some courses, e.g. using coursera.org or take classes in a nearby university? I would personally prefer doing that as I would expect it to be a better preparation to the actual MBA classes and my professional life after MBA than just drilling GMAT quant problems. But I'm not sure how an adcom of e.g. Insead would think about that. Maybe I should rather work on improving my Chinese for that international touch?

I would really love to get into the punching range for Insead, as it is my dream school. Otherwise HKUST and IE would be 2nd choices for me.

Aha! I gotcha. Well, with those numbers, I stand corrected, and I'd say then just count your lucky stars you did so well on the real thing and don't even THINK about retaking. :)

Just keep on doing awesome at work, keep up some extra activities and some volunteer work, take leadership when you can, and go for it with your score.

If you are worried about Quant, then do your best to take on some quant projects at work, and then maybe maybe you can take a class or two before you apply.

Best,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts