Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]
Expert Reply
PrivateMarketplace wrote:
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

1) Work Experience: I have worked on 4 deals in total throughout my tenure at the firm.
a) We usually co-invest with other larger VCs. 2 of these deals were European digital marketing firms that we co-invested in Series A and B funding rounds. Usually it is 1-5M stakes. 1 of these companies have exited and we got a 2x return on invested capital.
b) The 2 other deals were more interesting as we did a joint venture with two mid-sized (Revenues 50M to 80M) European tech firms. We run their Asian operations for them, through building a team, getting clients, devising go-to-market strategies, etc etc. Basically we ran the business in behalf of the parent company in APAC through a JV between us and the parent company. For these deals you usually fund the initial and subsequent expansion strategies (main costs are employee salaries, travel and rental expenses). Usual investment is around 2-4M for it to breakeven and then just finance the working capital needs from time to time. Due to us being very operational, we have proprietary exit structure for these kind of investments. We exited from one of these investments and are in the process of exiting from another. The returns are 10x and should be 12.5x with earnouts.
c) Operationally I have been highly involved in recruiting, devising go-to-market strategies and providing business development efforts.
d) Other than my operational duties, it is mostly typical financial/operational/market due diligence and deal execution for the investments which I carry out with my team. I have 1 Associate and 1 Analyst I work with supervising research and due diligence.

2) Undergrad school: I don't want to identify myself. I would just mention it is a top ranked Big Ten school. GPA: 3.3 (Finance major)

3) ECs: Nothing much after school. I am actively involved in pro-bono consulting where I manage and advise a group of college juniors/seniors in working through a pro-bono consulting project.

Please let me know if that's enough information. Thanks.

Well, youve pretty much confirmed my suspicion that your work experience was the best part of your profile.

Keep in mind that your school and your GPA are both "below average" for Top 10 programs, and your ECs/Volunteer work are lacking. So what that means is:
1. A good GMAT is all the more important
2. You will have to see how much of the lacks you can cover in the essays.

So let's leave off any final judgement till you come back with a GMAT score. But we are for sure looking at Top 20 schools here, and your GMAT will define the rest.

Best,
Jon
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hi Jon,

1) Work Experience: I have worked on 4 deals in total throughout my tenure at the firm.
a) We usually co-invest with other larger VCs. 2 of these deals were European digital marketing firms that we co-invested in Series A and B funding rounds. Usually it is 1-5M stakes. 1 of these companies have exited and we got a 2x return on invested capital.
b) The 2 other deals were more interesting as we did a joint venture with two mid-sized (Revenues 50M to 80M) European tech firms. We run their Asian operations for them, through building a team, getting clients, devising go-to-market strategies, etc etc. Basically we ran the business in behalf of the parent company in APAC through a JV between us and the parent company. For these deals you usually fund the initial and subsequent expansion strategies (main costs are employee salaries, travel and rental expenses). Usual investment is around 2-4M for it to breakeven and then just finance the working capital needs from time to time. Due to us being very operational, we have proprietary exit structure for these kind of investments. We exited from one of these investments and are in the process of exiting from another. The returns are 10x and should be 12.5x with earnouts.
c) Operationally I have been highly involved in recruiting, devising go-to-market strategies and providing business development efforts.
d) Other than my operational duties, it is mostly typical financial/operational/market due diligence and deal execution for the investments which I carry out with my team. I have 1 Associate and 1 Analyst I work with supervising research and due diligence.

2) Undergrad school: I don't want to identify myself. I would just mention it is a top ranked Big Ten school. GPA: 3.3 (Finance major)

3) ECs: Nothing much after school. I am actively involved in pro-bono consulting where I manage and advise a group of college juniors/seniors in working through a pro-bono consulting project.

Well, youve pretty much confirmed my suspicion that your work experience was the best part of your profile.

Keep in mind that your school and your GPA are both "below average" for Top 10 programs, and your ECs/Volunteer work are lacking. So what that means is:

So let's leave off any final judgement till you come back with a GMAT score. But we are for sure looking at Top 20 schools here, and your GMAT will define the rest.

Best,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your evaluation. Yeah, my GPA was never good haha. But I am not really interested in joining a top 20 school. Not sure if that would add much value to my career prospects. I am mostly looking at Top 5 schools in the US + INSEAD (that being my current top choice). Anyway, as you said we will see after the GMAT.

Thanks & Best,

SM
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hi Jon,

Best,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your evaluation. Yeah, my GPA was never good haha. But I am not really interested in joining a top 20 school. Not sure if that would add much value to my career prospects. I am mostly looking at Top 5 schools in the US + INSEAD (that being my current top choice). Anyway, as you said we will see after the GMAT.

Thanks & Best,

SM

Hey SM,
Well first of all good luck on that GMAT!
I can totally understand that you want to limit what schools you would go to, given your prestigious position and the opportunity costs, and I think in your case, even if your GMAT is lower than expected it's totally fine for you to build a "Top school or Bust" strategy, and say "hey school X Y and Z are worth it, but not P and Q". Anyhow I would say, keep an open mind. There are schools outside Top 5 that can probably get you where you want to go too, so for example, NYU is not in Top 5, but still ends up being a pretty awesome school for Finance goals.

But worry about that later, first: go kick some ass.
:)

Cheers,
Jon
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. Do you have any other schools outside the top 5/10 that deliver strong results for PE/VC career prospects like NYU? Thanks

Best,

SM
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. Do you have any other schools outside the top 5/10 that deliver strong results for PE/VC career prospects like NYU? Thanks

Best,

SM

Well look at placements from the schools, but basically what I hear from a lot of friends and clients in finance is that Top Finance schools + networking your ass off = M7 finance.

So the ones offhand where I know you can get recruited into where you want to go: UNC, Yale, Johnson, NYU. Maybe Duke/Ross (Have to look into those, but they are much more general management schools).

So do start talking to folks who went to those schools, but first things first: that pesky GMAT!!!

Good luck!
Jon
Moderator:
Admissionado
9221 posts