Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
knowledgeforaction wrote:
Thank you Jon.

Work Experience:
5 years in the Software R & D division of a leading technology company with a focus on Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Cybersecurity.
Tech Lead with 4-5 people reporting to me and have helped develop 3 well-known technology products all of which have more than a million customers.

Goals:
Short Term/Long Term: Drive Strategy and deliver compelling, innovative and useful products and services (either at a Tech Company or a company making use of Tech to grow)

Undergrad School: Good but not exceptional.

Volunteer Work: Project Lead for Non Profit projects in education (3~4 years starting with being a participant and growing into a lead)

ECs: Nothing unique. Reading. Toastmasters.

My biggest question right now is whether I should apply now or whether I should postpone my application to R1 next year.
I am only targeting M7 schools and would especially love to get into HBS/Wharton.

Advantages of postponing to R1 next year:
1) I can do a 6-month strategy oriented project at my company.
2) I can do summer school at LSE covering Strategy and Marketing.
3) I will have more time to polish and refine my application.

Major disadvantage of postponing to R1 next year:
I am 28/29 now and I will be 29/30 when I apply next year.
Will being 30 significantly reduce my chances of admission at the M7 schools?
I am very unclear about this and would greatly appreciate the guidance.

JonAdmissionado wrote:
knowledgeforaction wrote:
1) Basic demographic info: 29, Male, India

2) Educational Background: B.E (8.5/10 - India), M.S (Engineering - 3.7/4.0 - Top 20 School in US)

3) GRE: 339/340 (V: 170, Q: 169. Official ETS Conversion is to 800/800 on GMAT)

4) Work experience: Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA. 5 promotions in 4.5 years.
Work in the Software R & D division of a leading technology company with a focus on Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Cybersecurity.

5) Extracurriculars: Involved with a non-profit working in the education sector for the last 4 years. Have a functionary role within the org.

6) Short/Long term goals: Strategy (maybe with a focus on Technology)

7) Schools: Wharton, MIT Sloan, Booth, Kellogg MMM, Columbia, Haas (EW-MBA)

8) Recommendations - 2 good recommendations from engineering managers (direct supervisors)

I currently have a well paying job where I am gaining good experience and I am wary of spending $130K on a Tier 2 MBA program.
At the same time, I understand that I come from an over-represented pool and do not have much to make my profile unique.
I am very interested in knowing whether there are any programs which will give higher weightage to my GRE/GMAT and Technology work experience (like the Kellogg MMM Program).
Greatly appreciate the support and guidance.

Well, that is a veeeery impressive GRE score, dude.

Now I'd love to dig in here, but since you are aiming high I need more detail esp. about your work experience, your goals, your undergrad school and volunteer work/ECs if you have.

I'd also look into Stanford. Seems like it might fit you. And they LOVE high GMATs.

Best

Well, if you have settled on M7 only, then you have your answer :) That's what you will go for, regardless of chances... (and yes, you should have decent chances, even though you have some weaknesses in your profile.

As for when to apply. If you are ready and can give the time necessary for you to apply this year, I don't see any justifiable reason for you not to. Given how little time there is, you could also decide to only apply to your top 3 choices this years, and that if that doesn't work out, you will apply to more next year. There's no real disadvantage to this strategy.

If you are ready to go, feel free to drop us a line for a more full-on Free Consultation: https://bit.ly/mbafcGC
Best,
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts