Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Re: Proper way to withdraw from a school after deposit sent? [#permalink]
spiridon wrote:
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
What's the proper way to withdraw from a school after you've sent in your deposit?
thanks,
SP

do u also want to ask for ur deposit back? :)

I would love to get it back, but from what I understand thats damn near impossible. How would one go about asking for the deposit back?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I don't think you can get the deposit back. Most schools are fairly clear in saying that those deposits are (sadly) unrefundable.

My plan is to just email the schools and let them know that I'm withdrawing. I'm not planning on giving a reason. More importantly, I plan on emailing the students (current and recent admits) I met at that school and letting them know my plans. Most of those folks are awesome, and I'd love to stay in touch with them down the road.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
I would think you'd need a reason better than 'I'm going to another school' to get it back - maybe financial hardship, but even that I doubt. No harm in asking though and indeed you will make someone on the WL's life a lot easier by doing so now.

Only do so, however, if you are 100% about Yale, you'd never want to be in a situation where you withdraw then get second thoughts the week after or something. You've earned the right to wait til you're 100% by applying/getting in/paying the deposit etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
 Q44  V42
Send PM
isa wrote:
I don't think you can get the deposit back. Most schools are fairly clear in saying that those deposits are (sadly) unrefundable.

My plan is to just email the schools and let them know that I'm withdrawing. I'm not planning on giving a reason. More importantly, I plan on emailing the students (current and recent admits) I met at that school and letting them know my plans. Most of those folks are awesome, and I'd love to stay in touch with them down the road.

Isa,
Funny you should write that. I've been the letting the Duke students I met know (They're awsome, and I regret not getting to knwo them better).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
would I get my deposit back if my US visa got denied or the visa process took longer than expected and the date for joining past?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
MJ2009 wrote:
would I get my deposit back if my US visa got denied or the visa process took longer than expected and the date for joining past?

I think if your visa got denied, the school would be willing to be more flexible - whether that means sending the deposit back or discussion options such as deferring enrollment. I think it's less likely if the process just took longer than you thought it would.

At the end of the day, the schools are all explicitly clear that you're making a non-refundable deposit, so they're holding all the cards and it's completely up to their discretion whether or not to give you some or all of it back.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
What's the proper way to withdraw from a school after you've sent in your deposit? I had to send my deposit in before attending all the welcome weekends. (should I tell them I'm going to Yale instead?)
thanks,
SP

I called the school and told them I needed to withdraw. Since the school invested a lot of time in getting to know me, I felt that withdrawing via e-mail was a little too impersonal. I didn't tell them that I'll be attending another school.. I just said that my situation has changed and I can no longer attend.

Also, I would wait until you are 100% certain that you'll be attending Yale (and have sent in your deposit) before withdrawing. You never know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Singing https://gmatclub.com/chat
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot