Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

God forbid, but what would you do if you could not secure an internship offer during your first summer?

You may select 1 option
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Start networking and talk to companies before the start of the MBA program. Some companies even have 3-4 day workshops in the summer for potential career changers. (You do have to apply and write an essay for these programs).

GMATT73 wrote:
pelihu wrote:
I agree with Lepium, it's all relative. If you are at Stanford and you cannot get an interview or land a job because you are a schmuck on wheels, you'll have an even harder time getting an interview or landing a job at some random lower ranked school because you'll still be the same schmuck, just at a different school.

Alex may be correct in that ultimately it comes down to the individual, but the reality is that you can't change who you are. No matter where you go, there you are. If you are at Stanford, you'll have the reputation of that school to supplement your resume. If you are at Harvard, you can add that to your resume. If you are at XXX then you have that going for you. Whatever XXX is, it's not as good as having Harvard or Stanford on your resume.

If you're a smoothie that could squeeze multiple offers from top firms with an MBA from Oklahoma, you can certainly get the same offers and more if you have an MBA from Stanford. If you're a schmuck who couldn't get into the K-mart management training program (I know they're not around any more) with an MBA from Harvard, you'll have even less success, if that's possible, with an MBA from Chico State.

So whatever school you're at, you'll be bringing your own history, work experience, college record, interview skills, personality etc. to the party. That's not going to change. At this point, more opportunities will be available if you can tack an ultra-elite or elite MBA to the top.

That being said, I can't help but think that the most probable factor which stood between him and a marketing internship was his lack of experience. Which brings up the next question, how can tier II career changers maximize their chances of landing an intership?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with some of what Alex Chu wrote, but not all of it. (Is Alex Chu the guy who posts in some of the Business Week threads and is kind of a blowhard?)

Obviously an MBA grad is going to have to perform well to advance post-MBA. However, I have to believe that the brand name MBA will continue to open doors years after graduation. Now that may not matter for someone who is already very successful in one's field. However, I suspect that a brand name MBA gives one instant credibility, and that can sometimes make a difference.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2