Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 16:47 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 16:47
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644159 [0]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Quant Question of the Day Chat [#permalink]
poojaarora1818 wrote:
Sure! I agree that we all are like a team and ready to help each other as we all are on the same boat. So, it would be a great lesson for all of us to learn something new from each other’s mistakes. It has also been important for all of us to have a growth mindset. This GMAT journey is not a alone journey without everyone’s support we cannot sail through the storm.

I’ll be honest. And to the moderators dw , this will be my last personal msg in this group.
But if it wasn’t for GMAT Club, I would have quit this long back. Its been a frustratingly lonely journey for me as a Malaysian. Which is why I am very active hsre. It motivates me through my burn out/self doubt phase.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Please restrict the discussion to quantitative topics only. Any non-quantitative posts will be removed. Thank you!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 1545
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Please restrict the discussion to quantitative topics only. Any non-quantitative posts will be removed. Thank you!

Sure. Pls accept my apologies. Next time it won’t be repeated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
can anyone tell me how to avoid C trap in questions like these- in-a-rectangular-coordinate-system-what-are-the-coordinates-of-point-414310.html#p3334202

added a reply there only but thought of asking you guys for faster response
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
SamzayWarrior wrote:
can anyone tell me how to avoid C trap in questions like these- in-a-rectang ... l#p3334202

This is what you have written and asked in doubt column. "once I got the value of x- I presumed we can get the value of y ": This is probably the biggest mistake in GMAT- To assume something, which is not given. Never ever assume anything in GMAT unless it’s given. Keep the emotions aside and let simple math win you a good GMAT score :-)

Note: These types of questions are not answered here. You have to learn it yourself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
SamzayWarrior wrote:
can anyone tell me how to avoid C trap in questions like these- in-a-rectang ... l#p3334202

I think the variables which can take both positive and negative values of x and y need to be always checked for both values.
But values for things which can’t take a negative value. Like number of objects or time taken you can avoid. But even then with a quadratic equation there are cases where both values are positive in which case E(you can’t find a definite answer) would be the answer and both values are positive but due to some constraint one of them can’t exist, you can find a definite answer
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
SamzayWarrior wrote:
can anyone tell me how to avoid C trap in questions like these- https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-a-rectang ... l#p3334202

added a reply there only but thought of asking you guys for faster response

I also find quick sketches very useful:

With statement (1), point C can be anywhere on the green circle, and with statement (2), it can be anywhere on the purple circle. These circles intersect at two points, indicating that point C could be located at either of them. These possible locations are marked in orange on the image above.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Data Sufficiency Butler: January 2024
January 12DS 1DS 2
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Problem Solving Butler: January 2023
January 12PS 1PS 2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
I consistently perform well in the quantitative section with scores ranging from 50 to 51. However, I face significant challenges in the verbal section during exams. Despite having strong verbal skills that should enable me to score 32 or above, I find myself struggling to concentrate on the questions. During the exam, I tend to just read the questions without thoroughly analyzing them. I often get distracted, thinking about unrelated things, and end up with scores in the range of 20 to 25. My upcoming exam is just a week away, and I urgently need assistance to overcome these issues and improve my performance in the verbal section. Can someone please provide guidance or tips?

Please help someone
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yashvashisht17 wrote:
I consistently perform well in the quantitative section with scores ranging from 50 to 51. However, I face significant challenges in the verbal section during exams. Despite having strong verbal skills that should enable me to score 32 or above, I find myself struggling to concentrate on the questions. During the exam, I tend to just read the questions without thoroughly analyzing them. I often get distracted, thinking about unrelated things, and end up with scores in the range of 20 to 25. My upcoming exam is just a week away, and I urgently need assistance to overcome these issues and improve my performance in the verbal section. Can someone please provide guidance or tips?

1. SC modifiers
2. SC parallelism
3. CR boldface - teaches you the diff between argument, concl, assumption and premises
4. CR types of flaws

The 4 topics above cover 80% of your score

Watch any YouTube video for these. Roughly an hour each I guess
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Manasaggarwal wrote:
1. SC modifiers 2. SC parallelism 3. CR boldface - teaches you the diff between argument, concl, assumption and premises 4. CR types of flaws The 4 topics above cover 80% of your score

every thing is clear even when i solve question sapratly I can solve them easily

Manasaggarwal wrote:
Watch any YouTube video for these. Roughly an hour each I guess

any LINK ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yashvashisht17 wrote:
any LINK ?

any works

Yashvashisht17 wrote:
every thing is clear even when i solve question sapratly I can solve them easily

They teach you the diff between options sounding right in your head vs logically eliminating every option. Even if you get distracted, you can always rely on the latter
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hello guys can you help me with this DS question

What is SD of given set of numbers whose average is 5?
1. None of the numbers are greater than this Average
2. The Standard deviation is 5 when value of each of the given number is increased by 7
will be grateful if you can provide examples.
to me B is the correct options.
but i seem not to understand the statement 1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Focus 1:
535 Q77 V78 DI74
GMAT Focus 2:
575 Q83 V74 DI78
GMAT 1: 420 Q31 V17
GPA: 3.2
WE:Business Development (Finance)
Send PM
Ntaafuonua wrote:
What is SD of given set of numbers whose average is 5? 1. None of the numbers are greater than this Average 2. The Standard deviation is 5 when value of each of the given number is increased by 7 will be grateful if you can provide examples. to me B is the correct options. but i seem not to understand the statement 1

In S1, it says all the numbers in set are less than or equal to 5..In this case, SD=0 because each number is exactly at the average or below, so there’s no variation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Ntaafuonua wrote:
What is SD of given set of numbers whose average is 5? 1. None of the numbers are greater than this Average 2. The Standard deviation is 5 when value of each of the given number is increased by 7 will be grateful if you can provide examples. to me B is the correct options. but i seem not to understand the statement 1

If the avg is 5 and none of the numbers is more than 5 then all the numbers have to be 5 because if any number is less than 5(say 3 which is 2 less than 5) we need another number 7(which is 2 more than 5) to maintain the avg of 5

since we don’t have any number greater than 5, it means that all the numbers are exactly 5
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644159 [1]
Send PM