Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:16 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:16
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5184 [0]
Given Kudos: 1859
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 788
Schools: Ross '26 (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Quant Question of the Day Chat [#permalink]
It’s like I take one step forward I take two back ahahahaha I went from a v34 to v 40 and a q45 to q41

So much pain ahahahahahhaha

Originally posted by Kevinmum on 02 Nov 2022, 08:15.
Last edited by Kevinmum on 02 Nov 2022, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Quant Chat Moderator
Send PM
Kevinmum wrote:
Hello I have my exams in June and got a q45 and gave it again yesterday and got a q41 how do I get back to where I started ahahahhaha

You might need to work on few of the basics, I would recommend that you start with medium level official questions and work your way up from there. Did you get a ESR for both the attempts ? Was timing an issue or was it the type of questions ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Timing was not an issue

I feel I haven’t spent enough time on questions I’m new here so I can’t Share my esr. It was the question type. I spent 1:40 ish per question

in my first section I got 71% correct and 29 wrong.

Second section 43 right 57 wrong

and my Average question are only in medium.

I can’t seem to share my esr here because I haven’t spent 5 days yet

Originally posted by Kevinmum on 02 Nov 2022, 09:54.
Last edited by Kevinmum on 02 Nov 2022, 10:01, edited 3 times in total.
Quant Chat Moderator
Send PM
Got it ! For basics (and resources) on quant, you can refer the pinned links. Also, Manhattan has some free resources for foundations. I believe some part of the course that focuses on foundations of quant is free (its a 8 hours course last I checked that’s available)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Uh huh I shall give that a look. I’m trying to get my score back to 45 in 2 weeks. I really hope I can do it !
Quant Chat Moderator
Send PM
Kevinmum wrote:
Uh huh I shall give that a look. I’m trying to get my score back to 45 in 2 weeks. I really hope I can do it !

Yeah sure you ! Meanwhile if you have any questions feel free to post them in here so that any one can help you :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That’s a lot. Really appreciate it a lot! Just need some good vibes and I’m sure I got this !
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kevinmum wrote:

I don’t know what I do, but even if I take GMAT with my eyes closed, I get minimum Q45. I usually get either Q49 Or Q50. That’s how I got 710. I’m not trying to brag, but I work so hard in verbal, and I am maxing out at V37. I also have my test next week. What I am trying to say is that - may be I help you in quant and you help me in verbal during this week? Also I touch around 80% accuracy in RC and CR. It’s SC that scews me up. I have like 50% accuracy in SC. In quant, I just don’t like Time and Work. I am fine with all other topics in quant.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Alright so like I used to face unlimited issues with sc I still do but some how I am at 86th percentile.

so I had recently seen a video on YouTube it’s by the guys at e gmat. It’s a really old video but all you really need to know is

gmat is not testing if you can spot errors it’s not testing your English. It’s not ielts or tofel. So the don’t go about solving errors trying to find a mistake.

so how my process works is : I first read the sentence I check what it means. Then I take the obvious ones out. The first thing I like to look for is subject verb agreement. And stuff like what the subject of the modifier is especially with “which” and I look for parallelism. And then the for the other options, if you know what the sentence truly means. You will know what answer to pick. Also I highly highly recommend the YouTube videos from gmat ninja. Especially ones by Charles. And his reading technique is all you really need for reading. We can sit and chat about our tricks sometime if you’re free.

Originally posted by Kevinmum on 02 Nov 2022, 10:18.
Last edited by Kevinmum on 02 Nov 2022, 10:26, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kevinmum wrote:
Alright so like I used to face unlimited issues with sc I still do but some how I am at 86th percentile.

Ya, I saw that you got V40. That’s an awesome score.

Kevinmum wrote:
gmat is not testing if you can spot errors it’s not testing your English. It’s not ielts or tofel. So the don’t go about solving errors trying to find a mistake.

Yepp, I kind of know that. I am able to eliminate like 2 to 3 choices. However, I am mostly left with like 2 choices, and then I always choose a wrong one. May be I should select one in my mind, and then choose the other one.

Kevinmum wrote:
so how my process works is : I first read the sentence I check what it means. Then I take the obvious ones out. The first thing I like to look for is subject verb agreement. And stuff like what the subject of the modifier is especially with “which” and I look for parallelism. And then the for the other options, if you know what the sentence truly means. You will know what answer to pick. Also I highly highly recommend the YouTube videos from gmat ninja. Especially ones by Charles. And his reading technique is all you really need for reading. We can sit and chat about our tricks sometime if you’re free.

Yes, I saw quite a few people have recommended Gmat ninja on this forum. I need to watch them ASAP. Also, yes, it’s a good idea for us to find a time, and have a chat about ideas.

For quant, I recommend going to the foundations of every topic. It’s like before learning how to do reverse FOIL on quadratic, I always quickly teach why do we even need variables in real life. Also, some people are against cramming formulas, but I recommend writing a few formulas on daily basis. We can chat more in the coming days.

Originally posted by Averdoc on 02 Nov 2022, 10:27.
Last edited by Averdoc on 02 Nov 2022, 10:32, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also, this Friday there’s a free 6 to 7 hour webinar of the foundations of quant organized by Manhattan Prep. I have already registered for it, and I am going there for sure. Please look into it. You may find it useful.
Quant Chat Moderator
Send PM
Averdoc wrote:
Also, this Friday there’s a free 6 to 7 hour webinar of the foundations of quant organized by Manhattan Prep. I have already registered for it, and I am going there for sure. Please look into it. You may find it useful.

I guess you are referring to the Foundations of GMAT Maths. Manhattan also has the entire series recorded (the session was conducted by Avi Gutman) on their portal and that can be accessed for free.

gmatophobia wrote:
DS Question of the day

X is a three-digit positive integer in which each digit is either 1 or 2. Y has the same digits as X, but in reverse order. What is the remainder when X is divided by 3?

(1) The hundreds digit of XY is 6.
(2) The tens digit of XY is 4.

Source: Manhattan GMAT | Difficulty : Hard
My thoughts : The question may seem tricky at first, but if you get the right way to deal with it, the question becomes a bit easy :)

Not sure if anyone has tried this :D

Here is one from OG

PS Question of the day

Mark and Ann together were allocated n boxes of cookies to sell for a club project. Mark sold 10 boxes less than n and Ann sold 2 boxes less than n. If Mark and Ann have each sold at least one box of cookies, but together they have sold less than n boxes, what is the value of n?

A) 11
B) 12
C) 13
D) 14
E) 15

Source: Official Guide | Difficulty : Medium

Originally posted by gmatophobia on 02 Nov 2022, 10:47.
Last edited by gmatophobia on 02 Nov 2022, 10:53, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gmatophobia wrote:
I guess you are referring to the Foundations of GMAT Maths. Manhattan also has the entire series recorded (the session was conducted by Avi Gutman) on their portal and that can be accessed for free.

Yes, I was referring to exactly this thing only. Okay, I will check the recording on their portal. Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
gmatophobia wrote:
Here is one from OG

PS Question of the day

Mark and Ann together were allocated n boxes of cookies to sell for a club project. Mark sold 10 boxes less than n and Ann sold 2 boxes less than n. If Mark and Ann have each sold at least one box of cookies, but together they have sold less than n boxes, what is the value of n?

A) 11
B) 12
C) 13
D) 14
E) 15

a

gmatophobia wrote:
Here is one from OG

PS Question of the day

A) 11
B) 12
C) 13
D) 14
E) 15

a

Originally posted by Rabab36 on 02 Nov 2022, 11:00.
Last edited by Rabab36 on 02 Nov 2022, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gmatophobia wrote:
Here is one from OG

PS Question of the day

A) 11
B) 12
C) 13
D) 14
E) 15

Is the answer A) 11 because if I do backsolving by putting n= 11, then Mark sold 1 (11 - 10) and Ann sold 9 (11 - 2). Thus, the total is 10 (1 + 9), which is less than 11 (supposed n). If I take n = 12, then Mark sells 2 and Ann sells 10. Thus, the total is 12, which is not less than 12 (supposed n). Thus, I would choose option A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
gmatophobia wrote:
DS Question of the day

X is a three-digit positive integer in which each digit is either 1 or 2. Y has the same digits as X, but in reverse order. What is the remainder when X is divided by 3?

My thoughts : The question may seem tricky at first, but if you get the right way to deal with it, the question becomes a bit easy :)

b
Quant Chat Moderator
Send PM
Rabab36 wrote:
gmatophobia wrote:
DS Question of the day

b

You might want to check this :) , I guess there is something missing in B.

This is good one. Not super hard, but given the time pressure in the exam, one may fall into certain well laid traps :|

PS Question

x and y are positive integers. When 16x is divided by y, the quotient is x, and the remainder is 4. What is the sum of all possible y-values?

A) 7
B) 12
C) 19
D) 26
E) 41

Source: GMATPrepNow | Diffculty : Hard

Originally posted by gmatophobia on 02 Nov 2022, 11:12.
Last edited by gmatophobia on 02 Nov 2022, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6  ...  292   
Moderator:
Math Expert
94619 posts