Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32880 [7]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32880 [3]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Quantum mechanics is a highly successful theory: it supplies methods [#permalink]
carcass wrote:
Kudos for the OA and Explanation

[This passage was excerpted from an article published in 1979.]

Quantum mechanics is a highly successful theory: it supplies methods for accurately calculating the results of diverse experiments, especially with minute particles. The predictions of quantum mechanics, however, give only the probability of an event, not a deterministic statement of whether or not the event will occur.

Because of this probabilism, Einstein remained strongly dissatisfied with the theory throughout his life, though he did not maintain that quantum mechanics is wrong. Rather, he held that it is incomplete: in quantum mechanics the motion of a particle must be described in terms of probabilities, he argued, only because some parameters that determine the motion have not been specified. If these hypothetical "hidden parameters" were known, a fully deterministic trajectory could be defined. Significantly, this hidden-parameter quantum theory leads to experimental predictions different from those of traditional quantum mechanics. Einstein's ideas have been tested by experiments performed since his death, and as most of these experiments support traditional quantum mechanics, Einstein's approach is almost certainly erroneous.

1. The author regards the idea that traditional quantum mechanics is incomplete with

(A) approval
(B) surprise
(C) indifference
(D) apprehension
(E) skepticism

2. It can be inferred from the passage that the author's conclusion that Einstein's approach is "erroneous" might have to be modified because

(A) it is theoretically possible to generate plausible theories with hidden parameters within them
(B) some experimental tests of Einstein's theory do not disconfirm the hidden-parameter theory of quantum mechanics
(C) it is possible for a theory to have hidden parameters and yet be probabilistic
(D) traditional quantum mechanics has not yet been used to analyze all of the phenomena to which it could be applied
(E) there are too many possible hidden parameters to develop meaningful tests of hidden parameter theories

3. According to the passage, Einstein posed objections to the

(A) existence of hidden parameters in quantum theory
(B) probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics
(C) idea that quantum mechanics is incomplete
(D) results of experiments testing quantum theory
(E) the importance accorded quantum mechanics in physics

4. The passage suggests that which of the following would have resulted if the experiments mentioned had not supported the predictions of traditional quantum mechanics?

(A) Einstein, had he been alive, would have revised his approach to quantum mechanics.
(B) Hidden-parameter theories would have been considered inaccurate descriptions of real-world phenomena.
(C) A deterministic description of the motion of a particle might still be considered possible.
(D) Quantum mechanics would have ceased to attract the attention of physicists.
(E) Einstein, had he been alive, would have abandoned attempts to specify the hidden parameters that describe motion.

Can someone please explain Q1? I took this passage to be completely narrative in nature and hence marked choice c that the author is indifferent towards the fact that Einstein considered the theory to be incomplete.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 707 [2]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Quantum mechanics is a highly successful theory: it supplies methods [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi everyone,
Got all correct in 7:20 minutes, including 2:30 minutes to read and 4:50 minutes to answer the questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P1

Here the author talks about quantum mechanic and claims that the probabilistic side of it is a drawback.

Purpose: To describe quantum mechanic and one of its drawback

P2

In this paragraph the author claims that Einstein was dissatisfied with the traditional theory of Quantum mechanics and that he formulated and alternative theory. The the author proceeds to refute such theory on the basis of some experiments.

Purpose: To present Einstein's point of view and to reject one of his theories.

Main point

The main point is to consider Quantum mechanics and to refute one theory related to it and formulated by Einstein.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The author regards the idea that traditional quantum mechanics is incomplete with

Pre-thinking

Detail question

The author clearly refutes the theory because she claims that a lot of verified experiments made after Einstein's death went against such theory ( Apoorva2705 )

(A) approval opposite
(B) surprise no surprise anywhere
(C) indifference no, the author disapproves of the theory
(D) apprehension no apprehension
(E) skepticism Correct

2. It can be inferred from the passage that the author's conclusion that Einstein's approach is "erroneous" might have to be modified because

Pre-thinking

Inference question

From P2:
    Einstein's ideas have been tested by experiments performed since his death, and as most of these experiments support traditional quantum mechanics, Einstein's approach is almost certainly erroneous.

We can simply infer that if we just look at the other experiments, such experiments would support Einstein's point of view.

(A) it is theoretically possible to generate plausible theories with hidden parameters within them incorrect
(B) some experimental tests of Einstein's theory do not disconfirm the hidden-parameter theory of quantum mechanics in line with pre-thinking
(C) it is possible for a theory to have hidden parameters and yet be probabilistic quite the opposite direction
(D) traditional quantum mechanics has not yet been used to analyze all of the phenomena to which it could be applied out of scope
(E) there are too many possible hidden parameters to develop meaningful tests of hidden parameter theories cannot be inferred

3. According to the passage, Einstein posed objections to the

Pre-thinking

Detail question

From P2:
    Rather, he held that it is incomplete: in quantum mechanics the motion of a particle must be described in terms of probabilities, he argued, only because some parameters that determine the motion have not been specified. If these hypothetical "hidden parameters" were known, a fully deterministic trajectory could be defined.

(A) existence of hidden parameters in quantum theory opposite
(B) probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics Mentioned
(C) idea that quantum mechanics is incomplete opposite
(D) results of experiments testing quantum theory Not mentioned
(E) the importance accorded quantum mechanics in physics not mentioned

4. The passage suggests that which of the following would have resulted if the experiments mentioned had not supported the predictions of traditional quantum mechanics?

Pre-thinking

Inference question

From P1:
    The predictions of quantum mechanics, however, give only the probability of an event, not a deterministic statement of whether or not the event will occur.

+

From P2:
    Significantly, this hidden-parameter quantum theory leads to experimental predictions different from those of traditional quantum mechanics.

We can easily infer that Quantum mechanics would have a deterministic nature.

(A) Einstein, had he been alive, would have revised his approach to quantum mechanics. Cannot be inferred from this passage
(B) Hidden-parameter theories would have been considered inaccurate descriptions of real-world phenomena. Probably opposite
(C) A deterministic description of the motion of a particle might still be considered possible. In line with pre-thinking
(D) Quantum mechanics would have ceased to attract the attention of physicists. Cannot be inferred from this passage
(E) Einstein, had he been alive, would have abandoned attempts to specify the hidden parameters that describe motion. Cannot be inferred from this passage

It's a great day to be alive!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 336
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Quantum mechanics is a highly successful theory: it supplies methods [#permalink]
GMATNinja

Greetings!

I have the GMAT exam in the month's time. I have exhausted all the official RC questions. Hence I am now using the Official GRE Questions and the Official LSAT questions for RC practice. Is this a good idea?

I know that you have already recommended the Official LSAT questions but could I use the Official GRE questions? Would they be helpful?

Also, I had a doubt regarding the 1st question of the passage.

(A) approval
(B) surprise
(C) indifference
(D) apprehension
(E) skepticism

For this question, I selected Choice C "indifference". And the reason for that was the last sentence says that "Einstein's approach is almost certainly erroneous" not that the idea that
quantum mechanics is incomplete is erroneous.

Also, the author in the first paragraph of the passage seems to agree that quantum mechanics, however, give only the probability of an event and hence not deterministic. I thought that this means that Quantum mechanics is incomplete.

And so what I understood is this:

The author agrees to the idea that Quantum Mechanics is incomplete but his approach is incorrect. And since the question asked " author regards the idea that traditional quantum mechanics is incomplete with" - I choose indifference ( actually I might have chosen approval )

The correct answer to the question is skepticism. Please help me understand where I am going wrong.

Thank you
Sonal
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Quantum mechanics is a highly successful theory: it supplies methods [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts