Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Re: Questions regarding some application questions [#permalink]
Travel09- I am a graduate degree in OR as well and work in optimization in the financial services industry. So as I see it, your industry will be Engineering (or if there is an option to be very specific- Transportation Engineering). Your job function could be business development/research etc. So, dont know if it helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I dont think that this part of the application is all that important. Its probably used mostly to help sort and categorize applicants. Use whatever is closest to your industry and function. I know I work as an engineer for the government in an energy related area. I used engineer as a function but choose government over energy for industry, but easily could have gone the other way.

Don’t over think the check blocks or pulldown menus on the applications. The important details you personally fill out, if you don’t put the exact right thing for this its not gonna keep you out of the school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks dosa_don and riverripper for your reply.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Travel, sorry for the late reply, but yes, as dosa and river said, it doesn't matter as much, since the adcoms will be reading your essays, resume, and recommendations, and they can figure out what you do.

I have an engineering background, worked as an engineer in the defense/aerospace industry for the past 6.5 years, but recently am doing business development, so I listed business development/strategy and defense/government/aerospace as my industry.

Though in your special case, I would probably choose engineering instead of IT, just because of the slight stigma with the ultra-competitive IT pool. The adcoms are smart enough to realize you're not IT, but why give them a possibility to make the mistake of putting you in the IT pool? :P

My 2 cents.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
gmatnoob wrote:
I'm wondering how much overlap there should or shouldn't be in my resume and employment history required in the application.

Things like job responsibilities, etc. will undoubtedly be repeated in both places. Is that ok?

I think for most people there will be overlap. Unless you've compressed your resume to the point where you're leaving out key details, applicants are naturally going to have overlap. I would try to avoid using the exact phrasing from your resume, but I think it's acceptable for there to be repetition. After all, the resume and employment history are asking for essentially the same thing.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Though in your special case, I would probably choose engineering instead of IT, just because of the slight stigma with the ultra-competitive IT pool. The adcoms are smart enough to realize you're not IT, but why give them a possibility to make the mistake of putting you in the IT pool? :P

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply Kryzak. What you say makes sense.
GMAT Club Bot