It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 00:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 39

Concentration: Human Resources
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 02:12
" 38-million-dollar proposal " is the subject here , 'which' correctly talks about it , and is in active voice.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 39

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3381

Kudos [?]: 9314 [0], given: 1169

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 04:15
Paris75 wrote:
For me it is A.

The word riskiness is wordy and there are several tense mistakes in the other sentences.

Waiting for OA :)


How do you rely your decision point in a sentence like this, convoluted and complex in its meaning, on a single word ???
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9314 [0], given: 1169

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 61

Kudos [?]: 66 [1], given: 57

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 04:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
Good question! I think this one ultimately comes down to meaning ...

(A) At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk. The subject of the sentence should be between the two modifiers. Placing two modifiers in a row makes the sentence feel awkward ... and "out of place". :)

(B) Even at nearly 38 million dollars, the delegate’s proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.
"less costly" is incorrect. It should be "least" ... And, the second half of the sentence changes the meaning of the author's initial take. There should be two reasons why the plan was rejected, not just one.

(C) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, which was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness, had actually been one of the less costly options being considered.
this one's incorrect for similar reasons as choice B. less costly ---> should be "least" costly ... And, this version only gives one reason for the plan's rejection.

(D) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, nevertheless among the least costly options being considered, was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget, but its riskiness.
"nevertheless" is absolutely unnecessary in this sentence, and the second half of the sentence --- like choices B, C --- changes the original meaning.

(E) Ultimately rejected due not just to its sizable budget but also to its considerable risk, the delegate’s proposal, even at 38 million dollars, was one of the least costly options under consideration.
Even though this is not the prettiest of sentences, choice E is correct. At first, the first clause felt a little "clunky" during my initial read; however, the "not just...but also" construction fulfills the parallel structure rather fittingly. Also, the sentence maintains the original meaning of the author's take.

Kudos [?]: 66 [1], given: 57

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2014
Posts: 26

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 87

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 06:59
Had the most random doubt while attempting this question...is 'Riskiness' even a word?!?! :? Then guessed that it might be since more than one option had it! :-D

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 87

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 126

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 101

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 07:20
I hope I've got the correct answer choice.

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 101

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 252

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 401

Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 08:04
junkostem wrote:
Good question! I think this one ultimately comes down to meaning ...

(A) At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk. The subject of the sentence should be between the two modifiers. Placing two modifiers in a row makes the sentence feel awkward ... and "out of place". :)

(B) Even at nearly 38 million dollars, the delegate’s proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.
"less costly" is incorrect. It should be "least" ... And, the second half of the sentence changes the meaning of the author's initial take. There should be two reasons why the plan was rejected, not just one.

(C) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, which was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness, had actually been one of the less costly options being considered.
this one's incorrect for similar reasons as choice B. less costly ---> should be "least" costly ... And, this version only gives one reason for the plan's rejection.

(D) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, nevertheless among the least costly options being considered, was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget, but its riskiness.
"nevertheless" is absolutely unnecessary in this sentence, and the second half of the sentence --- like choices B, C --- changes the original meaning.

(E) Ultimately rejected due not just to its sizable budget but also to its considerable risk, the delegate’s proposal, even at 38 million dollars, was one of the least costly options under consideration.
Even though this is not the prettiest of sentences, choice E is correct. At first, the first clause felt a little "clunky" during my initial read; however, the "not just...but also" construction fulfills the parallel structure rather fittingly. Also, the sentence maintains the original meaning of the author's take.


You made me chance my mind!

Agree with your analysis!
_________________

Think outside the box

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 401

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2014
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 09:00
I look forward for seeing the outcome of this one

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3381

Kudos [?]: 9314 [2], given: 1169

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2014, 09:58
2
This post received
KUDOS
Paris75 wrote:
junkostem wrote:
Good question! I think this one ultimately comes down to meaning ...



(B) Even at nearly 38 million dollars, the delegate’s proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.
"less costly" is incorrect. It should be "least" ... And, the second half of the sentence changes the meaning of the author's initial take. There should be two reasons why the plan was rejected, not just one.





You made me chance my mind!

Agree with your analysis!


sorry but this analysis is completely flaw.

the proposal is the less costly AMONG the others. Less is perfectly fine. you do not know how many proposals you have. saying the least one doen't make sense at all because the scenario is this: you have two or three proposals and, we say, other ten proposals. Our one is the cheapest among the 2 or 3 we have.

We have a proposal that is the less costly among the others NOT the least costly options being considered

A lot and a lot of students get in trouble with this one not only because is a really upper level question, but also because is a question in which the logic plays a key part.

This is a question, I would say, of almost pure logic with a touch of grammar; this is what indeed is this test: not a grammar test, but a logic test.

If you do not keep in mind this, then you will fail this test over and over again.

Once again: B must be the answer. And indeed it is.

Regards
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9314 [2], given: 1169

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2014
Posts: 26

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 87

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 02:57
junkostem wrote:
Good question! I think this one ultimately comes down to meaning ...

(A) At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk. The subject of the sentence should be between the two modifiers. Placing two modifiers in a row makes the sentence feel awkward ... and "out of place". :)

(B) Even at nearly 38 million dollars, the delegate’s proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.
"less costly" is incorrect. It should be "least" ... And, the second half of the sentence changes the meaning of the author's initial take. There should be two reasons why the plan was rejected, not just one.

(C) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, which was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness, had actually been one of the less costly options being considered.
this one's incorrect for similar reasons as choice B. less costly ---> should be "least" costly ... And, this version only gives one reason for the plan's rejection.

(D) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, nevertheless among the least costly options being considered, was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget, but its riskiness.
"nevertheless" is absolutely unnecessary in this sentence, and the second half of the sentence --- like choices B, C --- changes the original meaning.

(E) Ultimately rejected due not just to its sizable budget but also to its considerable risk, the delegate’s proposal, even at 38 million dollars, was one of the least costly options under consideration.
Even though this is not the prettiest of sentences, choice E is correct. At first, the first clause felt a little "clunky" during my initial read; however, the "not just...but also" construction fulfills the parallel structure rather fittingly. Also, the sentence maintains the original meaning of the author's take.



I agree with you that it ultimately comes down to meaning, and that's exactly why I think your analysis might not be entirely correct...

If we go by meaning, the question seems to say that despite the fact that the delegate's proposal was one of the more economical options available, it got rejected. Why it got rejected...not just because it had a sizable budget, but also because it entailed high risk.

If we look at it from a CR lens, the fact that it was one of the lesser costly options is just a premise. The main point (or conclusion, if you like) is that it still got rejected due to the high risk involved.

Going by this logic, option E seems to change the meaning of the sentence by making the 'less costly option' as the main point of the sentence and making the 'high risk' part as the premise.

Hence, option E cannot be the right answer.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 87

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3381

Kudos [?]: 9314 [0], given: 1169

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 04:07
nehabhasin wrote:
junkostem wrote:




I agree with you that it ultimately comes down to meaning, and that's exactly why I think your analysis might not be entirely correct...

If we go by meaning, the question seems to say that despite the fact that the delegate's proposal was one of the more economical options available, it got rejected. Why it got rejected...not just because it had a sizable budget, but also because it entailed high risk.

If we look at it from a CR lens, the fact that it was one of the lesser costly options is just a premise. The main point (or conclusion, if you like) is that it still got rejected due to the high risk involved.

Going by this logic, option E seems to change the meaning of the sentence by making the 'less costly option' as the main point of the sentence and making the 'high risk' part as the premise.

Hence, option E cannot be the right answer.



the red part is incorrect.

The proposal is the cheapest among the other options. As such, it would not be rejected for budget reasons, but it is rejected for OTHER reasons

If you say: but also because, then that means you rejected the proposal for a budget reason PLUS others. This is not true, at all.
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9314 [0], given: 1169

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2014
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 20

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 05:40
My two cents :

I think the meaning is very important here. 'Not only... But also' conveys a different meaning compared to 'not .... but'. So B is out for me. It was between a and e. I would go with a, as e changes the 'nearly 38 million' to '38 million'

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 20

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3381

Kudos [?]: 9314 [0], given: 1169

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 06:14

Kudos [?]: 9314 [0], given: 1169

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 941

Kudos [?]: 1079 [0], given: 548

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 06:34
carcass wrote:
Since a while I didn't see a good discussion like this :-D

At the end of the day you will see B as the correct answer :roll:


Can we discuss correct options before the winners and OE are declared?

I agree with carcass as the correct option is B.
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1079 [0], given: 548

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2014
Posts: 26

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 87

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 10:07
carcass wrote:
nehabhasin wrote:
junkostem wrote:




I agree with you that it ultimately comes down to meaning, and that's exactly why I think your analysis might not be entirely correct...

If we go by meaning, the question seems to say that despite the fact that the delegate's proposal was one of the more economical options available, it got rejected. Why it got rejected...not just because it had a sizable budget, but also because it entailed high risk.

If we look at it from a CR lens, the fact that it was one of the lesser costly options is just a premise. The main point (or conclusion, if you like) is that it still got rejected due to the high risk involved.

Going by this logic, option E seems to change the meaning of the sentence by making the 'less costly option' as the main point of the sentence and making the 'high risk' part as the premise.

Hence, option E cannot be the right answer.



the red part is incorrect.

The proposal is the cheapest among the other options. As such, it would not be rejected for budget reasons, but it is rejected for OTHER reasons

If you say: but also because, then that means you rejected the proposal for a budget reason PLUS others. This is not true, at all.



I beg to differ. As per the question stem...

At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk.

This means that budget was also one of the parameters this option was being evaluated on and could have been rejected on. Also, the question says it was "one of the least costly options", which means it wasn't really the cheapest among other options, there were other similarly priced options as well.

But I hope my overall logic was not flawed.

Btw even I marked B...so I'm taking your word for it and congratulating myself for the time being! :)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 87

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2014
Posts: 24

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 21:04
i filtered down to 2 options bet then got stuck between "one of the least" and "among the less". hope i can get it right..

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Posts: 167

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 48

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2014, 01:28
Very nice question, definitely took time to come up with an option.
Actually, i don`t find any issue with the actual sentence. The sentence says 2 reasons for the proposal to get rejected. And also since "sizable" means "Fairly large portion", being of "sizable budget" could fairly be a reason for rejection.
_________________

Please give Kudos to the post if you liked.

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: ISB '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2014, 06:27
Narrowed it down to B and C.
I think in C, it should have said "not rejected on account of X but rejected on account of Y".
In B, the construction is correct: "rejected not on account of X but on account of Y". Hence, its B
We need to check what is used after 'not' and 'but' and need to make sure they are parallel.
Simple not X but Y parallelism.
Good disguise though :)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2013
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '17, IIMB, Eller FT'18
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2014, 08:19
I found A to be the best option.What is the OA?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 101

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 46

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2014, 06:17
wow, Sentence Correction at a really high level !
_________________

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 16

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2014, 03:55
For me,its B. Waiting eagerly for the OA now!

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 16

Re: RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2014, 03:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 73 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

RAGCT Day 14: At nearly 38 million dollars, one

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.