Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:50 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22079 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Re: Re-doing the GMAT 9 years later (740 in '11) First '20 diagnostic: 710 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi MBRetaker,

The type of study materials that would benefit you the most will depend a great deal on your recent CAT performance.

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
Send PM
Re: Re-doing the GMAT 9 years later (740 in '11) First '20 diagnostic: 710 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congrats on the practice test! If your goal is to get a certain overall score (say 750), you have much more 'wiggle room' in Verbal than you do in Quant at the moment. Bear in mind that one subscore point in Verbal has the same effect on your score as one subscore point in Quant. In Quant, you only have two more points to gain to hit the maximum of Q51 - so your Quant score isn't going to contribute a whole lot more to your overall score than it already has. But Verbal, on the other hand, could really push your overall score...

There are reasons you may want to spend time on Quant (say, maybe you're applying to schools that you know would be especially impressed with a Q50 or Q51, and wouldn't care as much about your Verbal performance.) But don't underestimate Verbal! Without knowing what your strengths and weaknesses are, I'd recommend picking up the MPrep All the Verbal book (it's been consolidated since you last used the MPrep materials, from three Verbal books into one very large book) and reviewing your Sentence Correction grammar rules.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re-doing the GMAT 9 years later (740 in '11) First '20 diagnostic: 710 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Welcome back! The fact that you were able to have a fairly high score last time is a good indicator. That means you no good study practices and habits that work for you. That is one of the critical and most important components of securing a good score.

If you only have a month, I would not suggest a super big course that you’ll have to cut short. If you’re looking for books, getting Kaplan math workbook and verbal workbook is a good idea. You could finish them both in a month. You can also get them a good course. It is slimmer than others. At the same time if you need specific help with quant or verbal, TTP or EMPOWERgmat Have an awesome deal where you can get a course for $99 a month. Since you only have one month, that’s extremely economical and you can start studying immediately. Both of those half tons of reviews that I’m very positive. My only concern is the time. Perhaps Scott or Rich can comment on a shorter study schedule plan?

PS. Don’t go directly to the advanced books. That’s a mistake you can’t afford to make. Do you need to focus on the basics of arithmetic and refreshing would you forgotten. Think about it as you would think about learning to drive, you probably don’t want to start on the Formula One car but perhaps something with less power and an automatic transmission would be a more appropriate choice ;)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MBRetaker,

Even though your prior 740 was from 9 years ago, much of the content that is tested in the Quant and Verbal sections is the same as what you faced back then. By extension, while some of your knowledge and skills have likely faded over time, there's a good chance that you could regain them all without too much trouble. Obviously, the overall Exam has changed somewhat (the test is shorter than when you last took it - and includes Integrated Reasoning instead of the Issue Essay) - but this first CAT Score shows that you clearly still have strong overall critical thinking skills.

Before we discuss how you might best proceed with your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What are the exact application deadlines for each of the Schools that you plan to apply to?
2) Do you have your Official Test Date scheduled yet (and if so, then when is it?)?
3) What type of study schedule are you planning to follow?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks a lot for your reply Rich,

1) Application deadline is April 8th
2) I have booked my test date on April 6th
3) Right now I am going through the OG Questions and planning to start going through the Ace the GMAT book starting tomorrow. Still haven't blocked my schedule, I am considering booking 1-month online course as suggested by BB, but given my good starting on my first CAT I wonder if that would be the most effective way to prepare?
GMAT Club Bot