Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:14 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Re: Recommendation Dilemma. Please help [#permalink]
i agree. i don't believe that this is necessarily a bad thing. all adcoms are looking for areas of self improvement that a candidate shows. so for instance, i'm not a very "math" oriented person. therefore, i took accounting courses, i did remedial this, i did extra curricular that.... etc. to show that i recognized this weakness, and i took measures to improve myself.

they're looking for what initiative you've shown with the areas of weakness you have.

i don't think that your english being less than native speaking status, would be, in anyway, a application killer, especially if you are TOEFL exempt. i personally don't think there really is any "application killer" unless you were caught cheating or being academically dishonest.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
I met many internationals in bschool with heavy foreign accents. Hell, if you read some of the essays that US applicants write to bschools every year, you are going to wonder "Where did these kids learn to write? Were they really born here?"

That being said, I am not sure where you are applying but a small detail such as "my manager is going to write that my weakness is my english communication skills, etc" should not be a huge factor or reason for you to not apply to bschools (or switch recommender).

V42 on GMAT is better than most US applicants who take the exam every year. And if you are invited to the interview, I am sure the interviewer will assess and judge whether your english accent or communication skill is going to prevent your potential success in the program, etc.

But if it's the way you speak the language...trust me, there are internationals in bschools with similar issues.
GMAT Club Bot