GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2003
Posts: 1401
Location: NewJersey USA
Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2004, 12:56
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:43) correct 39% (01:41) wrong based on 67 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely ossified skeletons; so alligators must be air-breathing vertebrates with completely ossified skeletons.

In terms of its logical features, the argument above most resembles which one of the following?

(A) Green plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen back into the air; so it follows that grass takes in carbon dioxide and releases oxygen into the air.

(B) Some red butterflies are poisonous to birds that prey on them: so this particular red butterfly is poisonous to birds that prey on it.

(C) Knowledge about the empirical world can be gained from books; so Virginia Woolfs' book A Room of One's Own must provide knowledge about the empirical world.

(D) Dierdre has seen every film directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder: so Dierdre must have seen Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, a film directed by Fassbinder.

(E) Skiers run a high risk of bone fracture: so it is likely that Lindsey, who has been an avid skier for many years, has suffered a broken bone at some point
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2003
Posts: 407
Location: 55405
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2004, 13:03
Is this a trap?

Class X has property Y, therefore member of class X has property Y.

A?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2003
Posts: 1401
Location: NewJersey USA
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Jan 2004, 13:07
Please asandeep, dont get distracted by my comment. Think and choose what u feel is most parallel. I dont mean to distract you. Same applies to everyone. I think it is ridiculos question.

Originally posted by anandnk on 08 Jan 2004, 13:04.
Last edited by anandnk on 08 Jan 2004, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2003
Posts: 1401
Location: NewJersey USA
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2004, 13:32
Hi stoolfi,

Why you answer only few question and leave out others. Are they too easy for you. Answering one question and leaving out others does not justify that u r busy. You might have seen them in the past then.

Anand.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2003
Posts: 1401
Location: NewJersey USA
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2004, 13:40
Many times I see that you folks post reply within few minutes. How do you know that a new question has been posted. Is there a way to configure my profile so that I get a mail evertime a new question is posted?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2003
Posts: 407
Location: 55405
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2004, 14:35
Quote:
Why you answer only few question and leave out others. Are they too easy for you. Answering one question and leaving out others does not justify that u r busy. You might have seen them in the past then.


Being busy is my excuse. Since I've only read OG and Kaplan, 99% of this stuff is new to me. Some questions I do not answer because they are too easy, some because they are too difficult and I have no idea, some because ten people have already posted the answer that I agree with ten times...

It's a miracle that I haven't yet been fired from my job for surfing this board all day!
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2003
Posts: 1401
Location: NewJersey USA
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2004, 14:42
I am cool with you reply. I like your reasoning.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Posts: 179
Location: MI
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2004, 14:53
stoolfi wrote:
Quote:
Why you answer only few question and leave out others. Are they too easy for you. Answering one question and leaving out others does not justify that u r busy. You might have seen them in the past then.


Being busy is my excuse. Since I've only read OG and Kaplan, 99% of this stuff is new to me. Some questions I do not answer because they are too easy, some because they are too difficult and I have no idea, some because ten people have already posted the answer that I agree with ten times...

It's a miracle that I haven't yet been fired from my job for surfing this board all day!


Well, none of us are fired yet.. :wink:
You know what I am saying..... :lol:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2003
Posts: 1401
Location: NewJersey USA
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2004, 17:15
The correct answer is A.
What about dead grass or the grass that is not green.
I thought there is a flaw in A and no flaw in the stem of the question. There is no alligator in the word that is not reptile. Well then again there might be dead alligators. Unnecessary thinking I guess.

I was struggling between A and D. I endedup chosing D. Again one can always say so many people have the same last name.

I wonder why sandeep chose C. I apologize if I have made him get distracted by my opening sentence as a caution.

Sorry folks if I have put some pressure on you to get you to answer the questions. I am right now at home for 10 days. So I have all the time. I guess I will be in your condition from monday onwards.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2003
Posts: 200
Location: USA
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2004, 18:43
Quote:
Well, none of us are fired yet..
You know what I am saying.....


True True.

Quote:
Many times I see that you folks post reply within few minutes. How do you know that a new question has been posted. Is there a way to configure my profile so that I get a mail evertime a new question is posted?


I simply refresh the main page of this forum atleast twice a minute whenever I take out time during my work hours :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Posts: 179
Location: MI
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2004, 19:14
anandnk wrote:
The correct answer is A.
What about dead grass or the grass that is not green.
I thought there is a flaw in A and no flaw in the stem of the question. There is no alligator in the word that is not reptile. Well then again there might be dead alligators. Unnecessary thinking I guess.

I was struggling between A and D. I endedup chosing D. Again one can always say so many people have the same last name.

I wonder why sandeep chose C. I apologize if I have made him get distracted by my opening sentence as a caution.

Sorry folks if I have put some pressure on you to get you to answer the questions. I am right now at home for 10 days. So I have all the time. I guess I will be in your condition from monday onwards.


anandnk you scared me by your opening statement !!!! :devil
I thought that A was a certain trap....you got me here... :scared

There is no doubt that A is the answer
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Posts: 179
Location: MI
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2004, 19:17
Quote:
Many times I see that you folks post reply within few minutes. How do you know that a new question has been posted. Is there a way to configure my profile so that I get a mail evertime a new question is posted?


I simply refresh the main page of this forum atleast twice a minute whenever I take out time during my work hours :)[/quote]

Same here. Did you learn that from me ? :beer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 268
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 00:02
anandnk wrote:
Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely ossified skeletons; so alligators must be air-breathing vertebrates with completely ossified skeletons.

In terms of its logical features, the argument above most resembles which one of the following?

(A) Green plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen back into the air; so it follows that grass takes in carbon dioxide and releases oxygen into the air.

(B) Some red butterflies are poisonous to birds that prey on them: so this particular red butterfly is poisonous to birds that prey on it.

(C) Knowledge about the empirical world can be gained from books; so Virginia Woolfs' book A Room of One's Own must provide knowledge about the empirical world.

(D) Dierdre has seen every film directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder: so Dierdre must have seen Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, a film directed by Fassbinder.

(E) Skiers run a high risk of bone fracture: so it is likely that Lindsey, who has been an avid skier for many years, has suffered a broken bone at some point


Can someone explain why option 'D' is incorrect!
_________________
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 869
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 12:22
OA has been added and bumping to get it back into circulation
_________________
D-Day: November 18th, 2017

My CR Guide: Here
My RC Guide: Here
Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here
Want to know your Business School chances? Go: Here
Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Jan 2019
Posts: 217
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 10:31
anandnk wrote:
Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely ossified skeletons; so alligators must be air-breathing vertebrates with completely ossified skeletons.

In terms of its logical features, the argument above most resembles which one of the following?

(A) Green plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen back into the air; so it follows that grass takes in carbon dioxide and releases oxygen into the air.
Option A is in line with pre-thinking

(B) Some red butterflies are poisonous to birds that prey on them: so this particular red butterfly is poisonous to birds that prey on it.
This option talks about a relation with another element (the birds which prey on RB). Out

(C) Knowledge about the empirical world can be gained from books; so Virginia Woolfs' book A Room of One's Own must provide knowledge about the empirical world.
This option does not talk about the nature of the category/element. It talks about what we can learn out of it. Out

(D) Dierdre has seen every film directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder: so Dierdre must have seen Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, a film directed by Fassbinder.
The nature is not even discussed. Out

(E) Skiers run a high risk of bone fracture: so it is likely that Lindsey, who has been an avid skier for many years, has suffered a broken bone at some point
Nature of skiers is not discussed. Plus the argument does not talk about probability.


Pre-thinking
Here is my line of reasoning: the argument talks about the nature of a category and then talks about the same nature with reference to an element of that category.


Option A
GMAT Club Bot
Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2019, 10:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne