Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Re: Resume Length [#permalink]
When you get to school, it will be one page - be you 22 or 32. You have to make do with what you have, delete stuff, summarize stuff like noone's business.

It is not a pleasant operation. And when I finish the summer, I have to find space for that. Which will leave about 2 lines on my first job (which sucks, as it was pretty great for leading chat).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
keep it to one page. I have a masters and 7 years of WE and I got it down to 1. Though with the MBA extra education space, I'll have to pare it down even more... :(
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Though with the MBA extra education space, I'll have to pare it down even more... :(

That's my concern as well. But I guess the guys in the recruitment office will show us some tricks :wink:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
1 page is appropriate for MBA applications. Later on, I think the rule of thumb is 1 page for every 10 years of experience.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
By MBA applications, do you mean applying to B-school or rectuiting while in school?
pelihu wrote:
1 page is appropriate for MBA applications. Later on, I think the rule of thumb is 1 page for every 10 years of experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I used a two page resume for my MBA apps, although I'll be shortening it to one page once I start my program. Being a non-traditional applicant with a wide variety of research and entrepreneurial experience, I wanted to make sure that all of my activities were adequately explained. That being said, anything pre college should be cut and if you can cut it down to one page, you probably should.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
What about WE during summers in college? does that no longer count if you have post-college full time experience? :(
thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
What about WE during summers in college? does that no longer count if you have post-college full time experience? :(
thanks!

We had an exercise in a leadership class where, in small groups, we looked over dozens and dozens resumes from MBA students. Kind of a 'what would you do as an HR manager' type of deal. Compared with the quality of experiences that most MBA students have (especially at top schools), summer/part-time/internship experiences during and before college really pale in comparison. Good MBA resumes are packed with impressive relevant details and when people included earlier experiences, it was kind of a running joke that they didn't have much to share in their resumes. I think 1 of 15/20 resumes included college experience, and those pretty much all came from people with three years or less of work experience.

Regarding length, I think resumes for MBA applications and those used for MBA recruiting should both be one page. In fact, there shouldn' be much difference because you'll start looking for a job a few weeks after to step onto campus.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Should ideally be one page. Can go upto 2 pages ( Avoid it if possible . )

An MBA resume should ideally only highligh achievements , with basic overview of job responsibilities ,academic background, Mention GPA , or rank if worth mentioning only , else avoid, Mention GMAT score if on the higher side > 99th percentile or above, else avoid. Incase some award , paper publication in college was awarded mention it ) , mention languages, and extracurricular intrests.

To save space :- Mention intrests and languages in one line

ie.
Languages
English ( Excellent) , Hindi ( Native) , French ( Intermediate ) , Arabic ( Basic)

It should be in reverse chronological order . Current job mentioned first.

Also try to quanity as much as possible your achievements , including the projects you have worked on in you work ex.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
bhatiagp wrote:
Should ideally be one page. Can go upto 2 pages ( Avoid it if possible . )

An MBA resume should ideally only highligh achievements , with basic overview of job responsibilities ,academic background, Mention GPA , or rank if worth mentioning only , else avoid, Mention GMAT score if on the higher side > 99th percentile or above, else avoid. Incase some award , paper publication in college was awarded mention it ) , mention languages, and extracurricular intrests.

To save space :- Mention intrests and languages in one line

ie.
Languages
English ( Excellent) , Hindi ( Native) , French ( Intermediate ) , Arabic ( Basic)

It should be in reverse chronological order . Current job mentioned first.

Also try to quanity as much as possible your achievements , including the projects you have worked on in you work ex.

For an MBA resume, above 3.0, put your GPA. Same for GMAT, above 650, put it down. Actually, education should be at the top for an MBA resume, then your work experience. Also, as for languages, only put them down if you are an intermediate level or above. If you can say 30 words in French, don't include French on your resume. You wouldn't want an interviewer to start an interview speaking French and you look like an idiot when you have no idea what they are saying. Then, your first words in the interview are: 'I really don't know that much French'
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
thanks for the pointers everyone ... now I need to get down to revising my resume. Any volunteers for critiques. It would be much appreciated ... be as critical as you can!!!
GMAT Club Bot