Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [16]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [4]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6278 [3]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: Roger wants to arrange three of his five books on his bookshelf. Two o [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AkshdeepS wrote:
Roger wants to arrange three of his five books on his bookshelf. Two of the five books are duplicates and can not both be selected. In how many different ways can Roger arrange his books?

1. 12
2. 36
3. 42
4. 60
5. 128

I am not sure whether "duplicate" would imply "identical". I would think it would and hence I would assume that there are 4 books and we have to pick 3 from them and arrange them to get 4C3 * 3! = 24 arrangements.
But that is not there in the options.

So then I would consider that the duplicate books may not be identical (say one is marked or written on etc). In that case, there are 5 picks out of 3 can be picked in 5C3 = 10 ways. But the ways in which both duplicates are picked are not allowed. We can pick both duplicates in 3C1 ways (pick both duplicates and 1 more our of remaining 3 books). This gives us 3 ways. So of the 10 selections, 3 are not allowed which means 7 are allowed.
The 3 selected books can be arranged in 3! = 6 ways.

Hence total arrangements = 7 * 6 = 42

Answer (C)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Re: Roger wants to arrange three of his five books on his bookshelf. Two o [#permalink]
Kudos
QZ wrote:
Roger wants to arrange three of his five books on his bookshelf. Two of the five books are duplicates and can not both be selected. In how many different ways can Roger arrange his books?

1. 12
2. 36
3. 42
4. 60
5. 128

Case 01 : when none of the duplicates are selected.
3 books remained(As 2 of the 5 are duplicates).
Hence, the number of ways 3 books can be selected from 3 is 3C3=1

Case 02: when one of the duplicates are selected.
Total number of ways
=The number of selections of the books that are completely diff from each other and the duplicate ones * The number of selections of the duplicate books
=The number of ways 2 books can be selected from 3 * The number of ways 1 books can be selected from 2
=3C2 * 2C1
= 3*2
= 6
Hence, total number of selection of 3 books = Case 01 selections + Case 02 selections = 6+1=7

Now 3 books can be arranged on 3P3 ways among themselves. i.e., 3! ways= 6 ways

Hence , the total number of arrangements = 7*6 = 42 ..... Thus I would go for option C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Kudos
u1983 wrote:
QZ wrote:

1. 12
2. 36
3. 42
4. 60
5. 128

Case 01 : when none of the duplicates are selected.
3 books remained(As 2 of the 5 are duplicates).
Hence, the number of ways 3 books can be selected from 3 is 3C3=1

Case 02: when one of the duplicates are selected.
Total number of ways
=The number of selections of the books that are completely diff from each other and the duplicate ones * The number of selections of the duplicate books
=The number of ways 2 books can be selected from 3 * The number of ways 1 books can be selected from 2
=3C2 * 2C1
= 3*2
= 6
Hence, total number of selection of 3 books = Case 01 selections + Case 02 selections = 6+1=7

Now 3 books can be arranged on 3P3 ways among themselves. i.e., 3! ways= 6 ways

Hence , the total number of arrangements = 7*6 = 42 ..... Thus I would go for option C.

I have a doubt. Since 2 of the 5 books are duplicates (one and the same book, but two copies), why are there 2 ways of selecting 1 out of those 2 (why 2C1). Will we not end up with the same selection, no matter which out of the 2 we select?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Roger wants to arrange three of his five books on his bookshelf. Two o [#permalink]
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
AkshdeepS wrote:

1. 12
2. 36
3. 42
4. 60
5. 128

The number of ways to select 3 books when the two duplicates are selected is 2C2 x 3C1 = 1 x 3 = 3.

The number of ways to select 3 of 5 books is 5C3 = (5 x 4 x 3)/3! = 10.

So there are 10 - 3 = 7 ways to select 3 books when the two duplicates are not selected.

Since we can organize the 3 books in 3! = 6 ways,so we can select and organize the 5 books in 7 x 6 = 42 ways.

Answer: C

Dear Jeff:

Can you please list out the 7 ways to select 1 duplicate and 2 unique items? I only get 3 upon listing them out and using the combinations formula:

(2C1÷2!)×(3C2)=1×3=3

When selecting duplicates, do we divide by the factorial of the total number of duplicates? For example, if there are 3 duplicates and we are selecting 2, logically there would be only 1 way to select them. Mathematically, I was taught to divide by the factorial of the total number of duplicates. However, this adjustment would result in a fraction. So, what is the correct way to adjust for duplicates mathematically?

3C2÷3! Or 3C2÷3

Lastly, when selecting 3 duplicates out of a total of 3 options, would we still divide by either 3! Or 1 as the answer already would be 1. Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
It's not clear to me that swapping between the duplicates actually produces distinct arrangements. I disagree with the answer as the question is phrased.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
imslogic wrote:
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
AkshdeepS wrote:

1. 12
2. 36
3. 42
4. 60
5. 128

The number of ways to select 3 books when the two duplicates are selected is 2C2 x 3C1 = 1 x 3 = 3.

The number of ways to select 3 of 5 books is 5C3 = (5 x 4 x 3)/3! = 10.

So there are 10 - 3 = 7 ways to select 3 books when the two duplicates are not selected.

Since we can organize the 3 books in 3! = 6 ways,so we can select and organize the 5 books in 7 x 6 = 42 ways.

Answer: C

Dear Jeff:

Can you please list out the 7 ways to select 1 duplicate and 2 unique items? I only get 3 upon listing them out and using the combinations formula:

(2C1÷2!)×(3C2)=1×3=3

When selecting duplicates, do we divide by the factorial of the total number of duplicates? For example, if there are 3 duplicates and we are selecting 2, logically there would be only 1 way to select them. Mathematically, I was taught to divide by the factorial of the total number of duplicates. However, this adjustment would result in a fraction. So, what is the correct way to adjust for duplicates mathematically?

3C2÷3! Or 3C2÷3

Lastly, when selecting 3 duplicates out of a total of 3 options, would we still divide by either 3! Or 1 as the answer already would be 1. Thank you.

VeritasKarishma Can you please help me topically on this question?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 345
Send PM
An observer would see 24 distinct arrangements.

"In how many ways can he select and arrange his books" might emphasize what's going on

LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
WheatyPie wrote:
It's not clear to me that swapping between the duplicates actually produces distinct arrangements. I disagree with the answer as the question is phrased.

check this answer out, https://gmatclub.com/forum/roger-wants- ... l#p2094506

If you still are not convinced, let me know which step and I will try to help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
AkshdeepS wrote:

1. 12
2. 36
3. 42
4. 60
5. 128

I am not sure whether "duplicate" would imply "identical". I would think it would and hence I would assume that there are 4 books and we have to pick 3 from them and arrange them to get 4C3 * 3! = 24 arrangements.
But that is not there in the options.

So then I would consider that the duplicate books may not be identical (say one is marked or written on etc). In that case, there are 5 picks out of 3 can be picked in 5C3 = 10 ways. But the ways in which both duplicates are picked are not allowed. We can pick both duplicates in 3C1 ways (pick both duplicates and 1 more our of remaining 3 books). This gives us 3 ways. So of the 10 selections, 3 are not allowed which means 7 are allowed.
The 3 selected books can be arranged in 3! = 6 ways.

Hence total arrangements = 7 * 6 = 42

Answer (C)

Dear Karishma:

Is it possible to use the combinations formula in duplicate selection problems as one uses the permutations formula by dividing by the factorials of the number of duplicates? If so, what would be the correct approach for this problem? I am trying to ascertain a direct formulaic approach versus calculating the total number of permutations and subtracting the number of duplicate permutations.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts