Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Send PM
Re: SC and CR suggestion. [#permalink]
jumsumtak wrote:
Take a diagnostic and check where you are. Prepare and plan accordingly.

Would you suggest gmatclub challenges for this?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
No. Take a full length MGMAT prep test. See where you stand. If you are well above Q45, go for gc tests. (you need to have a good base to attempt those.)
Director
Director
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
No. Take a full length MGMAT prep test. See where you stand. If you are well above Q45, go for gc tests. (you need to have a good base to attempt those.)

Thank you so much, just read your debrief, SUPERB! 3 gc challenges a day is insane.... :shock:

Will get back with the analysis once am through with a mock.
Director
Director
Send PM
Okay hi everyone...

After 2 years i tried a gmat mock...From last 2 months was studying on and off solely quant from mgmat and OG but did not study verbal at all. Tried myself on Power prep mock 1 today, got a poor score but a lot of things are clear after analyzing it for hours...

Need some helpful suggestion on study material, study plan and execution of all...So here is the mock 1 score

410 15%ile

Q32= 37%ile
V16= 08%ile
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quant Analysis= Incorrect questions

18/37 correct.

DS= 9/16 Correct

PS= 9/21 Correct

All the questions were seemed doable made 7 silly mistakes. 5 incorrect out of 1st 10 and 9 incorrect out of 1st 20.

Target in quant was to get as many ques's right in 1st 20 as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verbal analysis= incorrect ques's

SC= 8/16 ( Attempted all but completely forgotten all rules)
CR= 7/11 ( 4 incorrect were guesses rest all attempted were correct)
RC= 6/14 ( Out of 4 passages attempted 3 and got 6/11 correct, guessed the entire 4th passage 0/3 correct)

21/41 correct

Out of 1st 10 ques's 3 were incorrect and out of 1st 20 questions 7 were incorrect.

Target in verbal was to get as many ques's right in 1st 20 as possible. Guessed more than last 10 questions because of tiredness.
Director
Director
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
Based on the results of your practice exam, I would recommend a full review of the MGMAT SC materials. The rules are hard to remember when you are studying consistently - over time you will definitely forget them. Since you've been through the material already, your study should go faster this time through. You might also consider the MGMAT Foundations of Verbal Strategy Guide along with your SC guide (https://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitems ... ItemID=596). The Foundations book will give you an excellent grasp of all the basic principles, making your study in the SC Guide much more productive.

I must admit that I don't agree with your strategy of focusing on getting the first 20 problems correct. Your focus should be on getting every problem correct that is at or below your ability level (and giving yourself a fighting chance at the harder problems). By placing a majority of you focus on the early problems, you are forcing yourself to miss "easy" problems later in the exam.

Here is an abbreviated table of a "mock exam" showing what I mean by missing "easy" problems later on when you try to optimize the first 20 questions (Q=Question, C=Correct, D=Difficulty):

Q C D
1 Y 50%
5 Y 80%
10 N 90%
15 Y 75%
20 Y 80%
25 N 75%
30 Y 70%
35 N 60%
40 N 50%

Notice that this fake test taker is capable of getting 75-80% difficulty questions correct, but because of poor time allocation he/she is missing 50% level questions towards the end. The test is adaptive and is intepreting your overall score based on your answers relative to question difficulty level - missing a 50% level question is more damaging to your score than missing a 75% level question. If you want to maximize your score, allocate your time so that you can be correct on all questions you are capable of getting right. Guess selectively throughout the exam to keep yourself on pace - don't slide towards the end!

KW

Thank you for the suggestion...

Repeating Mgmat SC is a great idea also it wouldnt take much time....Since i have less time can i skip the quizzes towards to end of every chapter and directly practice from OG?

Also can you suggest any 1 month plan for verbal?
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I wouldn't skip the quizzes entirely, just test yourself on a few of the problems to make sure you really understood the content in the chapter. If you nail those few problems, move on. If you find yourself struggling, spend some time to make sure you understand the rules and applications.

To offer a quick suggestion on a one-month study plan, I would suggest that you work through the SC strategy guide, take a practice exam each week, and use the OG for "timed sets" (mini GMATs). I will add a word of caution - doing practice problems for the sake of doing lots of problems will not increase your score. Put emphasis on reviewing all your work (right and wrong) so that you understand deeply the content being tested and the useful strategies.

KW
Director
Director
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
I wouldn't skip the quizzes entirely, just test yourself on a few of the problems to make sure you really understood the content in the chapter. If you nail those few problems, move on. If you find yourself struggling, spend some time to make sure you understand the rules and applications.

To offer a quick suggestion on a one-month study plan, I would suggest that you work through the SC strategy guide, take a practice exam each week, and use the OG for "timed sets" (mini GMATs). I will add a word of caution - doing practice problems for the sake of doing lots of problems will not increase your score. Put emphasis on reviewing all your work (right and wrong) so that you understand deeply the content being tested and the useful strategies.

KW

Thanks for the suggestion should i do same no. of ques's from OG total 41 and then by distributing them through 3 sections? From to day morning i have started working on Mgmat sc.....

mock-1-analysis-help-needed-158750.html

I tried another mock today found my stamina lacking again...

Regarding verbal score and no. of questions getting right, how much on an average one should get right to cross V35 or may be to score in a range of 35-38?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:

For an SC diagnostic, you may be interested in: https://try.gmatpill.com/

Practicing OG and GMATPrep should be enough, but if you are looking for some extra practice, you may find this collection of questions quite useful: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
prateekbhatt wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion should i do same no. of ques's from OG total 41 and then by distributing them through 3 sections? From to day morning i have started working on Mgmat sc.....

Regarding verbal score and no. of questions getting right, how much on an average one should get right to cross V35 or may be to score in a range of 35-38?

Feel free to be flexible your timed sets long as you hold true to the timing benchmarks (1.8 minutes/problem overall: 1:15 for SC, 2:00 for RC, 2:15 for CR). I recommend starting small on the timed sets - like 10 problems from the 3 sections. As you get deeper into your practice, do increasingly longer timed sets. This will help you with your stamina. I normally don't suggest that people go more than 30 or 40 minutes per set, but since you are having problems with stamina you may want to work your way up to a full hour or even 75 minutes.

There isn't a reliable metric for number of questions right. Your scaled score is dependent on the difficulty of the questions you are answering. The best way to see if you are hitting the 35-38 is to take practice exams, available from test prep companies and GMAC (GMATPrep at mba.com).

KW
Director
Director
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
prateekbhatt wrote:

Feel free to be flexible your timed sets long as you hold true to the timing benchmarks (1.8 minutes/problem overall: 1:15 for SC, 2:00 for RC, 2:15 for CR). I recommend starting small on the timed sets - like 10 problems from the 3 sections. As you get deeper into your practice, do increasingly longer timed sets. This will help you with your stamina. I normally don't suggest that people go more than 30 or 40 minutes per set, but since you are having problems with stamina you may want to work your way up to a full hour or even 75 minutes.

There isn't a reliable metric for number of questions right. Your scaled score is dependent on the difficulty of the questions you are answering. The best way to see if you are hitting the 35-38 is to take practice exams, available from test prep companies and GMAC (GMATPrep at mba.com).

KW

So if i am getting a scaled score of 22 and getting 23 questions correct, then it means i am getting all easy and medium questions incorrect right?

Same thing in quant few get 24/37 then also get Q45+ and am mostly getting 20-22/37 that means i am getting easy questions wrong.
Director
Director
Send PM
GMATPill wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

For an SC diagnostic, you may be interested in: https://try.gmatpill.com/

Practicing OG and GMATPrep should be enough, but if you are looking for some extra practice, you may find this collection of questions quite useful: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

Thanks

usefull indeed.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts