Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:34 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: Kelley (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V157
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6863 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30816 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pu [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatt1476 wrote:
Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pull to release food into a nearby enclosure that contained a familiar dog and nothing else, contained an unfamiliar dog and nothing else, or was empty. The dogs typically released more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog. This suggests that dogs are more motivated to help other dogs they know than to help unfamiliar dogs.

The scientist's argument would be most strengthened if it were true that, in the experiment, the dogs with access to the handle tended to release more food when

A. the behavior was being encouraged by a familiar person than when it was being encouraged by an unfamiliar person

B. the enclosure was empty than when it contained an unfamiliar dog

C. an unfamiliar dog in the enclosure was displaying hostility toward them than when an unfamiliar dog in the enclosure appeared friendly

D. a dog in the enclosure appeared uninterested in food already released into the enclosure than when it appeared interested in that food

E. a familiar dog was in the enclosure than when a familiar dog was visible but the enclosure was empty

CR04161.01

Passage Analysis

Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pull to release food into a nearby enclosure

Scientists conducted an experiment in which dogs were given access to a handle.
The dogs could pull this handle to release food into a nearby cage.

that contained a familiar dog and nothing else, contained an unfamiliar dog and nothing else, or was empty.

The nearby cage contained one of the three- A familiar dog only. An unfamiliar dog only or empty cage.

The dogs typically released more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog.

In general, what dogs which pulled the handle did was to release more food to familiar dogs than to unfamiliar dogs.

This suggests that dogs are more motivated to help other dogs they know than to help unfamiliar dogs.

This result is used to conclude that dogs are more motivated to help dogs known to them rather than unknown dogs.

Question Stem Analysis

The scientist's argument would be most strengthened if it were true that, in the experiment, the dogs with access to the handle tended to release more food when?

This is a strengthen question of a specific type. A result is given- Dogs with the handle release more food to the familiar dog as compared to the unfamiliar dog. Which condition leading to this result will strengthen the conclusion?

Prethinking

Strengthen framework

In what scenario will one have more belief in the conclusion that dogs are more motivated to help dogs known to them rather than unknown dogs.

Given that

• In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pull to release food into a nearby enclosure that contained a familiar dog and nothing else, contained an unfamiliar dog and nothing else, or was empty.
  • The dogs typically released more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog.

The dogs with access to the handle tended to release more food when

Strengthener 1- There was a known dog placed in the enclosure than when the enclosure is empty.

Strengthener 2- A known dog inside the enclosure which was hostile than the unknown docile dog .

Answer Choice Analysis

A. the behavior was being encouraged by a familiar person than when it was being encouraged by an unfamiliar person
INCORRECT
The familiarity with the person with the dog has no effect in strengthening the conclusion. Only familiarity with the dog in the enclosure counts.

INCORRECT
Here the comparison does not involve the subject of our conclusion- familiar dogs. Hence, this option bears no impact on the conclusion.

C. an unfamiliar dog in the enclosure was displaying hostility toward them than when an unfamiliar dog in the enclosure appeared friendly
INCORRECT
Here the comparison does not involve the subject of our conclusion- familiar dogs. Hence, this option bears no impact on the conclusion.

D. a dog in the enclosure appeared uninterested in food already released into the enclosure than when it appeared interested in that food
INCORRECT
Here the comparison does not involve the subject of our conclusion- familiar dogs. We do not even know if the mentioned dog is familiar or not. Whether the said dog is interested or not is hence out of our scope. Hence, this option bears no impact on the conclusion.

E. a familiar dog was in the enclosure than when a familiar dog was visible but the enclosure was empty
CORRECT
Here the option does talk about familiar dogs. The helping part is focused on. Only if the dog is in the enclosure will pulling the handle and thus giving it food act as a way of helping the familiar dog. If the familiar dog is out of the enclosure the handle pulling dog cannot help it the mentioned way. Thus the given comparison correctly strengthens the conclusion that the handle-pulling dog is indeed interested in helping the familiar dog in the enclosure. Since a strengthener does not need to prove the conclusion but simply improve our confidence in it, this option acts as the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Re: Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pu [#permalink]
Quote:
Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pull to release food into a nearby enclosure that contained a familiar dog and nothing else, contained an unfamiliar dog and nothing else, or was empty. The dogs typically released more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog. This suggests that dogs are more motivated to help other dogs they know than to help unfamiliar dogs.

The scientist's argument would be most strengthened if it were true that, in the experiment, the dogs with access to the handle tended to release more food when

Scientist's conclusion: Dogs are motivated to help the dogs they are familiar with.
What we don't know: Effect on helping dogs' behaviour due to the human involved, effect on helping dogs' behaviour because of the behaviour of the dog in the cage

Quote:

As mentioned above, we don't know the relation between dog and human. Reject.
Quote:

All we know is that the dog prefer helping familiar dog over unfamiliar dog. We know nothing about the preference of the dog for empty cage. Reject.

Quote:

Mentioned earlier. influence of the behavior of the dog in cage on the helping dog is not known. Reject.

Quote:

Same as (C). Reject

Quote:

Dog's behaviour is influenced by what it sees. And we know the influence of familiar dog on the helping dog. This is correct

Therefore, (E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Scientist: In an experiment, dogs had access to a handle they could pu [#permalink]
AnthonyRitz wrote:
The question is:

Why does the dog typically release more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog?

Is it because the dog is more interested in helping the dog they know? Or is there any other reason?

If, as D says, the dog released more food to the uninterested dog than to the interested dog, then this is, if anything, a weakener. It suggests that whatever the dog's reason for pushing the lever, it wasn't to help the other dog -- since releasing food to an apparently-uninterested subject would not, presumably, help that subject. And if releasing food is not about helping, then the conclusion fails -- the dog is not trying to help the familiar dog by pushing the lever. So D is out.

(I'm not quite sure I fully understood your comment in favor of D. If I have not addressed your concern, please clarify and I'll try again.)

As for E, if the dog releases more food when the familiar dog is in the enclosure than when the familiar dog is merely present, then it's not the mere sight of a familiar dog, but the actual desire to help the familiar dog by giving it food, that must motivate this action. Like, maybe the dog just gets excited by the sight of a familiar dog, and wants to show its friend this new "lever" trick it has learned. But in that case it would push the lever whenever the familiar dog is present, whether or not the familiar dog is helped by this action. E rules out this alternative explanation by saying, "no, this only happens when the familiar dog is not just present but actually helped by the food."

Does this make sense?

Hi AnthonyRitz

I understand your explanation of option E. But as per the question we have to strengthen that dogs are more motivated to help familiar dogs rather than unfamiliar dogs. It is basically talking about the motivation to help between familiar and unfamiliar dogs.

Choice E, as you explained, merely proves that the dogs are not motivated by mere presence of a familiar dog. It doesn't touch upon the " familiar vs unfamiliar" dogs premise. What am I missing?
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Hi AnthonyRitz

I understand your explanation of option E. But as per the question we have to strengthen that dogs are more motivated to help familiar dogs rather than unfamiliar dogs. It is basically talking about the motivation to help between familiar and unfamiliar dogs.

Choice E, as you explained, merely proves that the dogs are not motivated by mere presence of a familiar dog. It doesn't touch upon the "familiar vs unfamiliar" dogs premise. What am I missing?

The argument already provides, as a premise, "The dogs typically released more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog." So we already infer that the presence of a familiar dog is more motivating than the presence of an unfamiliar dog. That's not a gap. The question is why the familiar dog is more motivating.

I see where someone could get caught fixating on the "familiar vs. unfamiliar" aspect here. It's certainly a piece of the conclusion, but it's not all of it. Let's have another look at the conclusion, and I'd like to refocus our attention on the words motivated and help: "This suggests that dogs are more motivated to help other dogs they know than to help unfamiliar dogs."

So, yes, "The dogs typically released more food to the familiar dog than to the unfamiliar dog." That's a premise, so it's infallible. But why did they do this? Is releasing food helpful to the dog? Even if it is, factually, helpful, is that the dogs' motivation -- their reason -- for choosing to release the food? So this is where I refer back to my previous explanation on this point:

AnthonyRitz wrote:
if the dog releases more food when the familiar dog is in the enclosure than when the familiar dog is merely present, then it's not the mere sight of a familiar dog, but the actual desire to help the familiar dog by giving it food, that must motivate this action. Like, maybe the dog just gets excited by the sight of a familiar dog, and wants to show its friend this new "lever" trick it has learned. But in that case it would push the lever whenever the familiar dog is present, whether or not the familiar dog is helped by this action. E rules out this alternative explanation by saying, "no, this only happens when the familiar dog is not just present but actually helped by the food."

So, again, given the premises we already had, the real gap was not "familiar dog versus unfamiliar dog" -- it was "motivated to help versus some other motivation."

Speaking of help, I hope this does!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts