Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:24 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 95
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V24
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.66
WE:Social Work (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Having fun Growing Mental Agility & Toughness (GMAT) ^_^
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
Mantra: "There is a will, there is a way."
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Re: Scientists have found signs that moving water changed the chemical [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Ilhomjon98 wrote:
As you see, (B) uses "was", while (C) does not.

Is it correct to use "was" in such structure as (B) does?

Thank you very much beforehand!

The OA seems to convey the following comparison:
Scientists have therefore concluded that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water as [scientists] previously thought [that the planet's crust harbors water].
The words in brackets are omitted but implied.
In B, the usage of was seems unwarranted.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Scientists have found signs that moving water changed the chemical [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Scientists have found signs that moving water changed the chemical makeup of the surface of Mars in recent eras, therefore concluding that its crust is harboring up to three times as much water than was previously thought.

(A) eras, therefore concluding that its crust is harboring up to three times as much water than was "have found" and "concluding" are not parallel. Eliminate.

(B) eras, therefore concluding that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water or more as was Same error as (A). Also, "up to three times" and "or more" are contradictory, which confuses the intended meaning (did it contain upto 3x water, or more?). Eliminate.

(C) eras and have therefore concluded that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water as Correct answer. Parallelism error is corrected and no new errors are introduced.

(D) eras and they have concluded, therefore, that its crust harbors up to three times as much water, or more, than "up to three times" and "or more" are contradictory, which confuses the intended meaning (did it contain upto 3x water, or more?). Eliminate.

(E) eras and concluded, therefore, that the planet's crust is harboring up to three times more water as was "have found" (present perfect) is not parallel with "concluded" (simple past). Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
one more thing I want to add.
If we use "up to", a point of time is used, so, we can not say "as much" and "more than" after "up to". if we say "as much" and "more than", two points of time is use. this is meaningless.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Scientists have found signs that moving water changed the chemical [#permalink]
Hi GMATGuruNY - in A and B

q1) Isn't "Therefore" and "concluding", redundant ? I dont see the point of Therefore given "concluding" is a RESULT of the clause "Scientists have found signs"

In E

q2) Can I eliminate E because "Therefore" is in between commas so I can drop it. If i drop "Therefore", the sentence in E becomes

Scientists have found signs that ____ and concluded that ____

This is wrong because the "and" is sugesting the "concluded" has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE "have found" whereas we know the scientists have made the conclusion BASED ON what scientists have found
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi GMATGuruNY - in A and B

q1) Isn't "Therefore" and "concluding", redundant ? I dont see the point of Therefore given "concluding" is a RESULT of the clause "Scientists have found signs"

In E

q2) Can I eliminate E because "Therefore" is in between commas so I can drop it. If i drop "Therefore", the sentence in E becomes

Scientists have found signs that ____ and concluded that ____

This is wrong because the "and" is sugesting the "concluded" has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE "have found" whereas we know the scientists have made the conclusion BASED ON what scientists have found

Hello jabhatta2,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your queries, you are indeed correct that the use of "therefore" alongside the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing" - "concluding" in this case)" construction is redundant, as both convey a cause-effect relationship.

You are also correct that the placement of "therefore" between two commas is incorrect, as its omission would alter the meaning of the sentence by removing the sense of "cause and effect" that "therefore" conveys.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts