It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 15:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored a sad 640 in GMAT. Would like some help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Scored a sad 640 in GMAT. Would like some help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 01:18
Hi All,

I just gave the GMAT today and like I mentioned, scored just a 640 (Q44 and V33). This was the score I got in my first GMATPrep Mock which I took over a month ago. Since, then I've been consistently improving and giving mocks and I was scoring easily above 720 in my last few mocks, with a 730 in my last mock (GMATPrep Exam Pack 1). I'm having a hard time taking it in, because I definitely did not expect such a low score.

I had a good night's rest before the exam today and was not particularly tired during the test either. I did have to come out of the test room in the middle of the quants section due to some issue with my phone, but that could not have cost me more than 3 minutes. Moreover, my verbal score was much lower than any of my previous mock scores. I cannot exactly point out where exactly did I go wrong. I have been a little stressed due to work lately, but I've never been someone to falter due to too much stress.

I would definitely like to take the exam again, but this experience has shaken my confidence and I don't know anymore if I can score better next time. I also feel like I've exhausted a lot of the official material (OG, GMATPrep and GMAT Prep EP 1). Please offer some advice on whether I should retake and where I could have gone wrong.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scored a sad 640 in GMAT. Would like some help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 03:16
This post received
KUDOS
anon2572

Welcome to GmatClub!

Here are my few cents:

Quote:
I'm having a hard time taking it in, because I definitely did not expect such a low score.

Try going through this
post and see if any of reasons resonate with your prep strategy.

Quote:
I did have to come out of the test room in the middle of the quants section due to some issue with my phone, but that could not have cost me more than 3 minutes.

Not sure if you are allowed to bring any belongings to exam center. Did I misinterpret anything here?

Quote:
Moreover, my verbal score was much lower than any of my previous mock scores. I cannot exactly point out where exactly did I go wrong. I have been a little stressed due to work lately, but I've never been someone to falter due to too much stress.

My friend, you shall come across tons of debriefs whose score varied more than 100 points because of panic/ stress.
The better truth is once you panic it is bit hard to maintain same tempo and focus throughout the test.

Quote:
I would definitely like to take the exam again, but this experience has shaken my confidence and I don't know anymore if I can score better next time. I also feel like I've exhausted a lot of the official material (OG, GMATPrep and GMAT Prep EP 1). Please offer some advice on whether I should retake and where I could have gone wrong

First and foremost you must get as ESR so that you know where you faltered. Feel free to share on same post to maintain continuity.

Also here is a post to better use QP and you still have EP2 in your armory. I would also encourage you to take GC tests for quant since they are very close to
actual GMAT.

Unless you are from over represented domain (eg Indian IT) make sure you are in +/- 20 points in 80% range of GMAT of your target b schools
to give your self a fair chance.

Hope this helps!

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 03:39
Hi adkikani. Thank you for replying.

My phone was in my locker and it was switched off, but for some reason the alarm still rang at around 9:30, so I had to come out and switch it off. I did feel extremely uneasy after that, so maybe that was a reason for my low score.

I'm a little unsure about the purchasing the ESR, could you tell me a little more about it? Is it actually helpful in determining my problem areas?

I'm not from an over represented domain, but my target score is still 720+. Thank you for your help!
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 04:22
anon2572

Quote:
I'm a little unsure about the purchasing the ESR, could you tell me a little more about it? Is it actually helpful in determining my problem areas?

You can find couple of good discussions here.
Regarding purchase of the same, you need to login with your credentials and can purchase the same
with 25 USD here

A golden rule anytime you are stuck anywhere in your path ahead!
You can write few initial letters of your query (stress/ ESR / initial text of any Q) in search tab on left side of your user name in search tab
and shall find tons of useful discussions.

Hope this helps.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 13:14
Hi anon2572,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) On what dates did you take each of your CATS? How did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Scored a sad 640 in GMAT. Would like some help!   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2018, 13:14

Scored a sad 640 in GMAT. Would like some help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap