Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Re: Scoring 760 in first attempt with 2 months prep [#permalink]
Wow.. Congrats piyush_89 on getting the GMAT out of the way in style
All the best for the application phase. Hope you get into your first choice school!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Sorry for the late replies. I got into the Indian School of Business in the first attempt. I believe GMAT played an important role in this conversion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 590 Q43 V28
Send PM
piyush_89 wrote:
My journey for GMAT started an year before in 2016. In july i bought the GMAT official guide and started practicing verbal and quant. It was then that I took the first GMAT prep exam to gauge where I stand. I scored 650. It did give me some confidence, however I did not continue preparing for GMAT and thought of giving CAT (by IIMs) a try. I prepared for CAT thereafter, which has quant and verbal section. Although the pattern of CAT and GMAT is different, but it kept me in touch with practicing both. However, after taking my CAT exam in Nov 2016 I did not practice or prepare for GMAT. It was only after I could not get through any B school through CAT that i decided to start preparing for GMAT again.

This time I was clear in my mind about GMAT. So the preparation started in July last week. I undertook a short trip on my birthday week to rid myself of the saturation from work. Reading various blogs about weekly schedules made me nervous, since I could not put 3-4 hours daily along with my work. So I decided to go with my own schedule and give 70% time to verbal and 30% to quant. I bought Maghoosh comprehensive package, which came at a discount for a short period. I started with verbal video lessons and made sure I took notes of important learnings. The Maghoosh video lessons are very short and to the point. The practice questions after each video or within the video are really valuable. Take them seriously. After completing a good number of sections, I started taking practice questions for those sections. Took notes of observations that I came through while practicing as well. It is really important to have these observations handy and well written to improve your overall performance. As the preparation progressed, I made sure I practised questions and took Mock GMATs at frequent intervals. I took complete GMAT mocks at every 2-3 weeks, on Sundays. Here I would suggest taking the Mocks at the time of the day when you would actually take the real GMAT. Your mind works at different concentration levels through the day. So it is good to tune it to the real GMAT timing.

Before taking the GMAT I took the second GMAT Prep test and scored 750 in that. I could not believe, since i was scoring 590-650 on the Maghoosh GMAT tests. On the exam day it is important to be calm and confident. Do practice the different sequence of sections to identify your best and go with that one. Do not, I repeat do not experiment on the exam day. So, with a preparation of almost two months, I was able to score 760 and feel content with it.

Cheers.

Congratulations!!!!! Great score and all the best for ur MBA journey.....
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts