Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: Scoring low and needing suggestions for improvement [#permalink]
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts,
I am huge fan of gmatclub and am indebted to this forum for valuable resources and
suggestions from experts.
Brief profile: M32, India, BE in private MNC with 11 years of WE
I started with GMAT prep-1 (310 Q20 / V8) in Jan- 17 w/o any sort of preparation and after spending
10-12 hrs/ week on perfecting verbal, I found that there was only marginal score improvement
when I reattempted the same test again yesterday (360, Q27 / V13)
On reviewing analysis, I found that my accuracy in all sections across verbal was less than 50%
esp, SC (41%) I have completed e-gmat resources on forum,manhattan books, powerscore and all OG and
was scoring 70% while attempting Qs in un-timed manner.
It seems I am not able to apply the learning and rules although I am very good at memorizing them.
I also noticed that I almost did not use much of scratch paper to scribble anything down during the exam and
relied heavily on my memory. (noting conclusion, making para summaries)
Let me know your insights so that I can rectify my approach in coming prep phase.
WR,
Arpit.
\

Hi Arpit,

I would echo the thoughts of the other experts here. I think you are focussing more on quantity than quality. You need to build the foundation first, understand the concepts and then start solving the problems. You scores clearly show a lack of understanding of fundamentals.

If you are stuck at a point, you can increase your score by drilling down deep.

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
As a general guide line and a starting point, you can start solving a question by taking the following things in consideration:

1. Find out the subject and the verb
2. See that the S&V agree in number
3. Look out for the modifiers
4. Look out for parallelism
5. Look out for usage of certain words - such as vs like, few vs less etc.

CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.
Quants: Again try to break the questions in topics such as Algebra, Number system (very important), Geometry, PnC etc.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Scoring low and needing suggestions for improvement [#permalink]
OptimusPrepJanielle EMPOWERgmatRichC VeritasPrepKarishma

I have been consistently putting in 16-20 hrs/week from last three odd months
and gave recent VeritasPrepMock with score of 560 on 05/11/17 and split of Q41 V27
corresponding to 45%tile and 47%tile resp.

My individual accuracy as per mock review:
PS: 50%
DS: 67%
CR: 71%
SC: 81%
RC: 55%

Section Order: Q/V and skipped AWA and IR

Undoubtedly I think I am rushing since I finished quant section in 58m 33s
and verbal in 57 m. Also I am surprised to see avg time for individual sections in verbal as
1 min 30 s. Does not RC and CR have to be close to between 2m and 2m 15s

I am confused between conceptual clarity on subjects and pacing on mock.
Let me know your inputs / blogs I can refer to improve RC.

Do share your two cents.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
adkikani wrote:
OptimusPrepJanielle EMPOWERgmatRichC VeritasPrepKarishma

I have been consistently putting in 16-20 hrs/week from last three odd months
and gave recent VeritasPrepMock with score of 560 on 05/11/17 and split of Q41 V27
corresponding to 45%tile and 47%tile resp.

My individual accuracy as per mock review:
PS: 50%
DS: 67%
CR: 71%
SC: 81%
RC: 55%

Section Order: Q/V and skipped AWA and IR

Undoubtedly I think I am rushing since I finished quant section in 58m 33s
and verbal in 57 m. Also I am surprised to see avg time for individual sections in verbal as
1 min 30 s. Does not RC and CR have to be close to between 2m and 2m 15s

I am confused between conceptual clarity on subjects and pacing on mock.
Let me know your inputs / blogs I can refer to improve RC.

Do share your two cents.

Hey Arpit,

My cents here

1. Any mock that you give, always simulate the same scenario that you will be going through during your real gmat exam. Eg: - take the optional break, do give the IR and AWA. It is important to train your brain to sit for 3.5/4 hrs and to work sharply. Also, it doesn't matter if you are putting 16-20 hrs/week but the effort is not in the right direction.

2. Well, I think you are hurrying to complete the section. You need to solve those questions accurately and quickly. Looks like you are solving it quickly but your accuracy is taking a hit. I would suggest you to do the following before you take the next mock (basically a root cause analysis)
a. Always take the allotted time to complete the section. It is OK to take more than 2 mins for a few questions !
b. Solve all those questions (again) that you got incorrect WITHOUT the timer. Are you able to solve them accurately? if Yes , then you are hurrying through the questions and making silly mistakes. Solve with a calm mind and don't panic. If NO , then make a list of the subjects for which you are getting your answers wrong. You haven't understood the subject correctly.

3. Once you know what is the issue and errors you made in the mock. Work on them and make sure you understand them properly. Make notes and solve some tough problems that help you strengthen your concepts. You can follow the above for both Q and V sections

4. Now ask yourself, what have I learnt new that will help me avoid the mistakes I made in the previous mocks? If you have definite answer, go for the next mock. if no, work on the weak areas. The idea is to continuously improve yourself before each mock

Hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any more queries
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Arpit.,

This recent CAT score is a really nice improvement on your earlier Scores. You seem to understand that you're 'rushing' through both the Quant and Verbal sections though - and THAT is NOT a good thing (finishing a section 15+ minutes early means that you are almost certainly letting some 'gettable' questions slip away). You admitted earlier on that you usually don't take notes, so if you want to score significantly higher, then you will have to STOP doing work 'in your head' and start doing all of the work 'on the pad.'

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot